PDA

View Full Version : Losing coolant on the 1.4 RT

donsrno1
24-02-2007, 22:23
Over the past few weeks I've been losing some coolant, not a huge amount, but a few cm's (probably 3-4) from the level in the header tank in about a week (about 200 - 300 miles). The problem is I don't know where it's coming from.

I've checked the headgasket and thats fine, so where else could it be leaking from? I'm guessing it won't be from a hose or anything due to the small amount it's losing. Would the water pump be a possibility?

I'm thinking that the water pump is a possibility because I was having a look earlier on and there seemed to be a little water on the subframe over on the drivers side after the engine had been running a while despite the fact that it hadn't been raining today. Also, when listening to the engine from the drivers side arch area it sounded as though there was a loud bearing or something - could that be the water pump? or I may just be imagining things, lol.

If I wanted to check if it's the water pump how would I go about it? Would I have to remove the engine mount and timing belt cover and check for any coolant below the pump?

It's a 1.4 E7J (Energy) engine btw.

Thanks.

MAXIBOY
25-02-2007, 01:51
check first by having a pressure check done and see if it holds pressure. then i,m not sure about the 1.4 lump but i assume you remove the fan belt and check for play (side to side) and resistance grinding when turning the water pump by hand. if not it could be a head gasket as the water could be leaking into the cylinder not the oil.

donsrno1
25-02-2007, 02:01
Thanks, I'll try and check those things. I'm certain it's not the headgasket tbh, I've done a compression test which showed about 13.5BAR on every cylinder, and theres no sign of any coolant mixing with the oil.

MAXIBOY
25-02-2007, 02:05
yeah prob the pump. but like i said it some times leaks into the cylinder and disappears down the exhaust. does not always show in the oil when head gasket fails.

clowo16v
25-02-2007, 11:45
I had a crack in the thermostat housing on my 16v was losing water but it was evaporating as soon as it shot out so couldnt find the leak. I just chucked some radweld in and it cured it

Matt

ian711
25-02-2007, 20:44
i had a similar problem and was only losing a small amount of coolent..
turned out to be a small slit in one of the hoses.