PDA

View Full Version : general clio rant

Scougar
24-02-2007, 20:50
Ok, just wanna say how peed off I am.

Got DRENCHED this morning by water from the sunroof, must hav been about half litre of water over me!!! The electrics are shorting/hissing in the electric sunroof from all the water... I am a little concerned!

The fuel gauge went from HALF to About 2 mm above Reserve between arriving and leaving the paintball site!! (WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.. totally stunned at crappy gauge/sensor).

Seems that the dogbone has gone, so need a new one of those as the engine lurches.

The heat shield is missing as well *sigh*

Blower doesn't work so fogs up, but at least have got another on the way to replace it thankfully. The only good in all this.

Damn car. (Mk1 ph1 1.8 16v)

Matthew

Rich
24-02-2007, 21:06
good arent they :lol:

nyk
24-02-2007, 21:27
You've listed about half the common faults there!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

I think there is a guide somewhere form Northy about sealing up your sunroof.
:)

Scougar
25-02-2007, 00:12
lol.. I will make it at least a half decent car, I tell ye!

Ok sunroof's leak, but I at least want to be able to use it and not expect to be drenched for the pleasure. So will be expecting to buy a new seal + whatever.

Oh.. and another bizarre thing..the car seems to want to stall after about 30 secs of being switched on. Drive a little and it clears :roll:

I managed to get 39 litres into the car so other rather trippy it showing almost on reserve. Unless the main tank is 40 litres and the reserve is 10 litres (hence the 50 litre capacity shown in another thread). Suppose I will have to buy a new fuel sender as well. Did they do this from new?

perhaps i should have bought 130k miles Pug 1.9 205 gti for the same price :shock:

Just really cheesed off at the moment.

Matthew

Coops
25-02-2007, 00:22
fuel woes - ignore them, just drive few hundered miles n put more in, i ignore my gauge as its pants

sunroof - probably leaking from either innder seal, whip out and clean it then smother in vaseline. if not its where sunroof unit itself sits into roof, need to remove the whole lot and then run a bead of sealant around the hole in the roof before re setting the roof in on the sealant

stall thing is probably idle control valve, located next to throttle body, whip it off and clean out with decarb cleaner then wd40 it, ensuring valve/shutter inside is free to move

Scougar
25-02-2007, 00:33
I'm beginning to like this club :)

Will be checking out the whole of the throttle body and give it a good clean, so will check the ICV as well :) Definately a good tip though! :)

Please tell me the sunroof (unit in total) is easy to take out?

Matthew

Coops
25-02-2007, 00:41
so long as bolts aint kippered then its just time consuming as u have to take headlining etc down from inside, half days work or so to do a tidy proper job of it

Scougar
25-02-2007, 00:47
Cool. Will try to give it a go. Not sure how I open it initially as the motor is stuffed on the sunroof :roll:

Is haynes my friend on this one?

Matthew

number1
25-02-2007, 00:53
yep common clio faults there, i swore after my last soaking from my last clio i was never to have another, but i now have one and yes it leaks, only the french would put a sunroof in with no drain holes, try parking it facing up a steep hill as the water runs back off the sunroof when it's raining and doesnt always leak this way i have decided to carry a towel in my car till i get around to using the vaseline lol, i get the stall problem on the same junction coming home from work every night, peeves me right off but would i drive anything else?? nope!!

Scougar
25-02-2007, 01:00
No.. please tell me your lieing. No drain holes?

I actually thought about this today thinking.. "I wonder why there is SO much water... maybe there aren't any drain holes?". I immediately wrote the idea off as insane, because noone would be that stupid.. right?

I mean come on.. even a metro has drain holes!

If your not lieing, then that is just plain ******* dumb. I don't normally swear, but that is so so stupid.

Matthew

Coops
25-02-2007, 01:06
no drain holes, tis true, relies completely of being water tight and it is, for a least as long as the warranty, then its goes tits up!

dont need to open sunroof to remove it, but will need to to put in the vaseline for inner seal, i have a manual handle to do that if it ever goes tits up, remove all electric motor etc n fitting is the same!

nyk
25-02-2007, 01:59
[quote="Coops"]no drain holes, tis true, relies completely of being water tight and it is, for a least as long as the warranty, then its goes tits up!quote]

Mines still going strong, coming up 12 years and its as dry as the day it was born!!

Coops
25-02-2007, 02:27
[quote=Coops]no drain holes, tis true, relies completely of being water tight and it is, for a least as long as the warranty, then its goes tits up!quote]

Mines still going strong, coming up 12 years and its as dry as the day it was born!!

F%&k you! :wink:

2 live
25-02-2007, 02:27
get the heatshield sorted soon...........oh the memories of mandy pulling a mini choke cable from the pass seat to activate my acc........lol.rush hour traffic too.............class

nyk
25-02-2007, 03:04
[quote=Coops]no drain holes, tis true, relies completely of being water tight and it is, for a least as long as the warranty, then its goes tits up!quote]

F%&k you! :wink:

PMSL
:lol:

DaveH
25-02-2007, 03:57

Mine too! Just lucky i guess lol

Scougar
25-02-2007, 10:41
Ok.. so there is some hope then :D

Since its a 1993 I will prob try for a new seal, and get it all working lovely, and try the vaseline and seal it with silicone sealant (black :D)

I am still stunned by no drain holes though as siting water is not exactly the best way to avoid rust, let alone avoiding leaks.

Matthew

Coops
25-02-2007, 11:24
if its all working right with no leaks the water pools agains the seal,glass and sunroof frame (alloy is it, or least heavily coated in paint and anti corrosion shite etc) so pooled water shudn't be too bad for the car, but as said over the years it get badgered!

Dave and Nic, your time will come, oh yes, yoru time will come! :P :wink:

clowo16v
25-02-2007, 11:33
Ive got a mint sunroof never been resealed and never leaked for £30

Matt

16v_russ
25-02-2007, 11:54
get the heatshield sorted soon...........oh the memories of mandy pulling a mini choke cable from the pass seat to activate my acc........lol.rush hour traffic too.............class

my 1st valver was missing the heatshield,and the heat burnt the cable casing and jammed the throttle open :shock:

luckely i was only goin slow so i switched off the engine and made the calbe straight again by cable tieing an alen key to keep the cable straight lol,ah the joys of a clio :D
funnily enough a bought a new heatshield the next day lol

more worryingly mate is ur brake pipes are behind there,u dont want them getting hot and pearcing :shock: :shock:

FATBOY
25-02-2007, 13:14
if your blower on your heater isnt working,your first bet is to wiggle the electrical connections where they go into the blower, that was what was wrong with mine... and you can just about get to them by opening up the flap under the bonnet where the jack is stored, you will see the blower unit located in the centre...

number1
25-02-2007, 14:11
my first valver a J reg had a sunroof that disappeared in the headling when opened instead of the other models of sunroofs which tilts and slide's this had drain holes!!! had no problems either!! why didnt they stick to the good idea?? i had my second sunroof out in bits and couldnt believe that there were no F****n drain holes!!

Laine_16v
25-02-2007, 15:17
Cos being a clio if it had drainholes, they would fill with crap and rust and cause stuff next to that to rust e.t.c

clio_rsi_turbo
25-02-2007, 15:21
gotta love em'

Scougar
26-02-2007, 00:29
To add insult to "shorting sunroof electric" injury, I have just noticed that the water temp gauge appears to be stuck completely at it's present position :roll: (1 notch up from the bottom). It had raised slightly above there on the drive home (70 miles) when I bought the car, but now it has ceased any operation.

I need to start fixing these problems (monday) so then I can keep on top of them when they crop up lol.

Matthew

Scougar
02-03-2007, 00:06
One problem fixed :D

Bought 1996 blower and plug of ebay for £22delivered and fitted it tonight :) I now have wonderful air to clear my screen and keep me warm. (well not 'that' warm, I think the system needs a good flush)

Next priority... will be the severlyleaking sunroof or the hand brake being stiff/ineffective and most of the time the Parking warning light stays on :roll:

Matthew

Laine_16v
02-03-2007, 09:22
One problem fixed :D

Bought 1996 blower and plug of ebay for £22delivered and fitted it tonight :) I now have wonderful air to clear my screen and keep me warm. (well not 'that' warm, I think the system needs a good flush)

Next priority... will be the severlyleaking sunroof or the hand brake being stiff/ineffective and most of the time the Parking warning light stays on :roll:

Matthew

Parking warning light suggests low brake fluid.

Scougar
02-03-2007, 09:49
:shock: Will check that Asap! (and see if there's a leak)

Matthew

Scougar
02-03-2007, 21:03
VERY low brake fluid level! Topped up, but had to go to halfords to get more dot 4.

Light has gone out now, but still worry a bit till I can check brakes fully. Thinking about maybe seeing if I can prosecute the mercedes dealer who mot'd the car for guy that works there.

Matthew

MatBrown
02-03-2007, 22:39
Don't think the fluid level is a test faliure, as long as the light is not on.

Brakes

* INSIDE THE CAR
- Antilock brake warning light (if fitted), is checked for operation and correct operating sequence
- Reserve travel on footbrake so that it does not reach the floor.
- Excess wear of brake pedal rubber.
- Correct operation of brake servo.
- Parking brake for reserve travel so that it does not reach it's end stop.
- Parking brake mountings for corrosion and security.
* UNDER THE BONNET
- Master cylinder/servo checked for leaks under load
- Servo unit for correct operation.
- Visible metal brake pipes for damage, corrosion, leakage or breakages.
* UNDER THE VEHICLE
- With load applied to footbrake.
- All visible metal brake pipes for condition and corrosion.
- Brake discs and drums checked for external condition and contamination.
- Security and condition of backplates and caliper mounting devices.
- Condition of brake pads (if visible).
- Condition and operation of handbrake linkages and cables.
- Leaks from brake compensator (if fitted).
* BRAKE PERFORMANCE CHECK
- The efficiency and balance of the front and rear brakes using a rolling road.

Mat.

Scougar
04-03-2007, 00:53
It's not just that. The handbrake is pathetic, and can push the car gently and it moved unless you SEVERELY pull on the handbrake. The blower fan wasn't working so obstruction to screen (although I don't think that is MOTable :( ).

Complete lack of heatshield on the car causing clutch cable problems, and potential hazard with braking system. Today, was struggling to get around, had to keep letting car cool as the clutch wouldn't engage (OR disengage :() Need to get that Heatshield asap (Order it monday, as they don't keep them in stock).

If I find the brakes leaking anywhere obvious I will be very concerned about that MOT station.

Matthew

wavy
04-03-2007, 04:27
u cant blame that on an mot guy
heat shield isnt part of mot
does it effect the clutch ?how

Complete lack of heatshield on the car causing clutch cable problems, and potential hazard with braking system

Scougar
05-03-2007, 10:02
I have read on this site that lack of heatshield affects the clutch... I am taking that from you guys. If that's wrong then please tell me :)

I know it's unlikely and I only really think that the handbrake is likely to be any MOT failure. I should have stayed clear if I had realised his own garage did the MOT.

Matthew