PDA

View Full Version : Battery loosing charge.

dan 16v
24-02-2007, 13:52
Problems started before xmas, car would start fine for 2-3 days but then after left overnight wouldnt start in the morning due to a flat battery.

I bought a new battery as it was only £31 from GSF parts and this sorted the problems for about a month.

After a month the same started happening again. I bought a brand new alternator for £70 and had this fitted last week for £222!!!! And anyway, this hasnt made a difference! The garaged that fitted the alternator said it was charging and working ok.

So after being a bit annoyed as I was hoping it was the alternator ive had the battery swaped for a slightly better bosch battery this morning which was like £42 quid. Im not going to know if im still going to have a problem for a few weeks yet and i cant test if the alternator is charging ok as i dont have a voltmeter.

Am i missing anything here, coz this is really starting to annoy me having to charge the battery everytime i need to go out! And then having to get a bump start when i want to leave wherever ive gone!

I dont know if it makes any difference but if i turn my headlights on the backlight on my digital temp readout dims once when i turn the sidelights on and then even more when fullbeam is on. Also when the headlights are on and the car is idling if i rev the engine slightly the backlight will get brighter and then dims again when the revs drop. Cant honestly say if its done this since ive owned it, but ive noticed it recently.

Help!? :)

MAXIBOY
24-02-2007, 14:00
first by a multi meter but is sounds like a wiring problem. did you have the old battery tested before you changed it and also the old alternator tested.

fasterthanjesus
24-02-2007, 18:52
ive had this for a while now.

i recently turned the alarm off via the key. left the car for 5 days, restarted her and the battery seemed a lot sharper.

im going to replace the alarm (needs doing anyway) and hopefully that will be the end of my charging problems.

Patrick_g46
24-02-2007, 19:58
pick youself up a voltmeter from a motor factors or halfords for a few quid, i think you should be getting 14.4 volts on idle

Rob72
24-02-2007, 23:22
clean the battery connections....worth a try

dan 16v
25-02-2007, 11:52
first by a multi meter but is sounds like a wiring problem. did you have the old battery tested before you changed it and also the old alternator tested.

Didnt have the old battery tested as i just stupidly assumed that this would be the problem as it looked old and not up to much!

Old alternator tested no coz i assumed it was this after i put a brand new battery on!

MAXIBOY
25-02-2007, 12:04
ouch :shock: right so something is drawing current while everything is switched off or the batterys still not charging properly. did they test the new alternator when they fitted it and was it supplying over 14.0 volts

dan 16v
25-02-2007, 12:10
I was told its been tested and working fine, but not the voltage it was making.

So I think a voltmeter might well be in order for me :)

MAXIBOY
25-02-2007, 12:14
yes mate they can be had cheap enough. first lets make sure its receiving a charge then work out what circuit is robbing it while everything is off. you haven,t got a load of ice, only factory alarm etc.

MAXIBOY
25-02-2007, 12:19
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14469

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 7852_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__varient__categoryId_31477_ crumb_33958-31562-38315_parentcategoryrn_38315

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-60792-Digital-Multimeter-Backlight/dp/B0001K9XKW

ziggymini
25-02-2007, 14:56
This is exactly the same as happening to my Mini at moment. It is drawing current somewhere...Leave him for 3 days & he is flat as a pancake. Got him booked in with the guy who does all the electricals for R-Tech as I can't bloody find the fault.
Good luck !

Jaine