PDA

View Full Version : Centering steering wheel with an airbag?

AmDaMan
22-02-2007, 19:57
Is this possible or does it have to be done by the pinchbolt on the rack? I've had it tracked up and the wheel is still off centre, so I can't be bothered to get it done again, wondering if I could just move the wheel but it's got an airbag.

jwarren2k2
22-02-2007, 20:04
did this 2 weeks ago myself...

2 bolts on back of steering wheel (torx 20 or 25)
disconnect battery (unless ur brave/mad)
pull off front cover, but be very gentle as you have to disconnect the wire and theres around 1-2 inches play to get ur fingers in and pull off the connector.
Mine had a red flashing LED on it, duno what it meant, but it didnt go off even with battery and cable disconnected, or when the wheel was totally off :S
then theres a torx bolt holding the wheel on (45 or 50 i think), undo it
take wheel off and revers the process.

Hope this helps

James

DaveH
22-02-2007, 20:15
If its been tracked then the geometry should be spot on and wont need doing again. As jwarren2k2 says just take the wheel off and re-align it- job done!

Justin..
22-02-2007, 20:49
you cant adjust it on the rack tho! it only goes in one place , so as above , just bash the wheel off and put it right :wink:

AmDaMan
23-02-2007, 02:13
cheers, will give it ago at the weekend. A bit concerned about that flashing LED though :shock:

jwarren2k2
23-02-2007, 21:19
haha! i thought it was like a time bomb and had 5 minutes to change it!! 10 mins later it was still flashing... so ur safe in under 10 mins! :P

only thing with doing this with the wheel that i noticed, is that i has changed the steering lock when u turn the car off, and also, the indicators click off at a slightly different position than before!

Good luck!

James

jwarren2k2
23-02-2007, 21:22
haha! i thought it was like a time bomb and had 5 minutes to change it!! 10 mins later it was still flashing... so ur safe in under 10 mins! :P

only thing with doing this with the wheel that i noticed, is that i has changed the steering lock when u turn the car off, and also, the indicators click off at a slightly different position than before!

Good luck!

James