PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get One?

Tuor
21-02-2007, 17:54
Hello peeps im new to the forum and atm i curently own a 1.2 RN Club Med, its my first car and ive have it for about 3years now.

For my second car im serious thinking about buying a Williams 2, that a m8 of mine currently owns, i have practicly sold the car to myself and have fell in love with it.

far as i know it needs arches doing at som point and the odd lil job here and ther.

Thing is i dnt wanna rush into this and seriously dont wanna buy it then find i got to spend a bomb on it to keep it going...

I will be driving it to and from work nearly everyday wich is 4miles either way, + the odd trip out during summer.

basicly can any1 give me some realy good reasons not to buy 1 and oviously some good reasons to buy 1.

thnx in advance!

wavy
21-02-2007, 18:07
check with insurance 1st as it can be dear
as all older cars they will need bits and no one can predict the future
if its been looked after and had recent ish new cam belt theres no reason it will break more often than any other car
mines a daily drive after a few bits being done iv had good reliability

plus its the best car iv owned and i smile EVERYTIME i drive it :lol: :D

BUY IT!!!!!!!

bluenose
21-02-2007, 18:15
Bit of a jump in running costs from a 1.2! Everything costs alot more! lol.
I think the smile it puts on your face far outweighs the costs though! You wont regret buying it. Especially coming from a model lower down the range as the difference is phenominal!

As hooligan said BUY IT! lol.

Wrong place to come if you wanted to be talked out of it :D

Smudger
21-02-2007, 18:24
welcome to the forum mate

as ppl have said will cost a bit more to run but i find the fuel consupsion pretty good on my willy2

everytime i get in it it puts a smile on my face and for some reason lately it seems to be running very well (strange seeing as it sat there for a month without starting!)

I bought mine (£1500) with a few bits to sort but only needed two front tyres. got allot of stone chips on the front and a slight dent here and there but nothing a little bit of time and cash wont sort

id say go for it mate

Joel
21-02-2007, 19:08
Welcome to WC.

Tuor
22-02-2007, 15:14
Well the car im looking at buying is probaly in better condition then when it came off the production line. and he wants £3,500 for it and insurance is gonna cost me £1,060.

b4 he sells it hes gonna put an uprated clutch in it, he changes the oil every 3 months or so and has kept it looking all standard just had the wheels referbed as well and all the car park dents taken out.

He works for Audi and takes it there and does all the work himself he said if i ever wanted somthing done i could go to him and he would do it for me.

His main reason for selling is because hes grown up and wants a house.

im just worried tht im gonna jump into this and be shooting myself in the foot and regreting it later.

been thinking maybe i should get a cheaper car like a valver or somin.

whats everyones thorts?

thnx again in advance.

Zollo
22-02-2007, 15:18
You won't ever regret buying the Williams mate, so long as you're prepared for the slightly higher running costs. A Valver will only be marginally cheaper to run at best (and then only because of insurance).

Sounds like a good example, too. Do it :D

Wobba
03-03-2007, 03:29
Being a full member here has benefits from what I can see as well, such as a never ending torrent of advice if anything should go wrong, to helpful people that can give you a hand with work or trackdays etc!

I've not yet owned a Williams, but my 16v and R5 GT's were a revelation after moving on from 'lesser' cars.

Allan
03-03-2007, 12:27
I went from a 1.2 RL to a Valver and most recently a william's and never looked back!

OK the valver / williams will cost a lot more to run in general

Petrol i find is about £2.50 more per 100 miles so at you say 8 miles a day ? just for east figures its going to cost you less then £1 a week in fuel alone so £52 a year more !

In reality if you are anything like me you will just drive it more because you want to :P so budget more money for fuel as your trip to work becomes like 16 miles as you went via some random back road to work instead ;P

Parts wise its not going to be much more expensive then the 1.2, i would budget around 2x the cost of the 1.2's running cost from my own experiance.

Usual things i find go or have gone are...

Clutch cables ? people seem to break lots but i cant say i have broken one in the past 3 years, helped others fit them and its a £20 quid job if you do it yourself

Cambelts (check on this, as it can be expensive to get done, or under £100 if you do it yourself) 5 years or 72k not a normal running cost item but still one to consider !

Wheel bearings, tend to go lots (could be my terrible driving) but i had 2 go on my 1.2, changed all 4 on the valver and i have had 2 on the williams go too! :S £20 quid each easy to change but you need to get the bearings pressed in and out. or about 2 hours labour from a garage so 45 an hour ? maybe varies around here from 20 to 100 an hour so just find a nice cheap place.

Brake hoses, for an unknown reason my clios always fail every mot on the brake hoses ( i put stainless on now to solve this 50 quid + fitting or do it yourself 1/2 a day and an easy bleed kit + fluid)

Other then that, tyres are about £35 to £50 quid a corner fitted if you go for 195 50 15's, little more if you go for 45 profile. The 185 55 15's are quite expensive unless you find a nice deal, usualy go through about 2 sets a year so £320 in tyres over the year, you can probably get harder tyres which will last 30k and cost you less but i tend to go for the goodyear eagle f1's which dont last more then about 8k normal driving or 1/2 a track day :D

RL i went through 1 set of tyres in 30k which were £80 for 4 fitted costco
so bare that in mind :D some michelin energy things did the job fine :D

Oil changes, i tend to do them every 2k, costs about £20 (Chevron 4w 40 fully synth from costco) tend to do plugs once a year another 20 for some NGk plugs and filters every 2nd oil change another £3.50
so £150 to £200 a year in minor services a year (i do about 12k)
Major service will be filters aswell, i just clean my ITG job which is about 10 quid for cleaners (will last a few cleans) and a day of the car off the road while it drys.

This was same cost on RL valver williams ect .

Brake pads and discs, £250 for the lot if you do it yourself, its not hard to do just needs tools, maybe double if you get a garge to do them.

so in conclusion let it warm up( before you thrash it) change the oil often and every so often take it on a long run to let the battery rechange, as 8 miles a day starting 2 times i would think wont let your battery charge as well as it should. Just make sure the car has a good gear box and you shoudlnt get too many problems from the engine / gear box / clutch side of things (gear box oil change made my box feel alot better on the valver).

So roughtly £600 - £800 in general running costs for 12k if you have to change most of the above in 1 year.

save £2-3 a day in abank account somewhere and you will be fine for cash :)

This is just from personal experiance so depending on how you drive and how hard you push the car this will be different.

No cheap but worth every penny !!!

Laine_16v
03-03-2007, 12:37
Oil change every 2000 miles :shock:

Allan
03-03-2007, 17:08
tis a quick job :D keeps the engine running nice too :D
i forgot to add sump washer 33p! but hay i havent used a new one yet :S

keep reusing the old one lol

kal_vaver
20-03-2007, 23:17
welcom chap you must get it i moved from a 1.4 rt as being 17 1.8 16v i couldnt get insured on so i waited till i was 18 and got the 1.8 16v best thing i did only bin a few months and no major probs with it so its all gd lol and you will have more fun from the williams 3 lol gd luk