PDA

View Full Version : New with 1.8 16v Mk1 ph1

Scougar
21-02-2007, 16:31
Hi guys :)

Just sold my Nissan 200sx 1998 s14a Touring (2L RWD turbo 250bhp+ ) to pay off some things before getting married, and have picked up a 1993 Mk1 1.8 16v k-reg 92k miles as a cheap car to run.

First few days, seems good on fuel compared to previous car (but waiting to see how fuel gauge acts on bottom half of gauge), although performance sucks, clutch and throttle are awful but the brakes and handling are both pretty good. I suppose I would criticise performance though coming from a 5 second 0-60 150+ mph car lol. But I would say that the car is slower (or at least feels) slower than my metro 1.4 mpi gti :(

Not impressed by the exhaust, needs to be more throaty and deep, transmission is louder than the exhaust, and it isn't satisfying to listen.

Apart from that, I'm looking to improve on these areas without sacrificing too much economy. I hear that the 2L conversion is pretty common(?), but personally i'm not convinced that cams+map wouldn't sort the 1.8 decently.

Matthew

Joel
21-02-2007, 17:00
Welcome to WC mate 8)

Scougar
21-02-2007, 17:02
Thankyou :)

Zollo
21-02-2007, 17:03
Hi mate. You'd do well to check this thread out...

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17385&start=0

Enjoy the car :)

nyk
21-02-2007, 17:05
Welcome to the site mate.

A gearbox that is noisier than your exhaust does not sound too healthy tbh. I presume you know these cars have gearboxes made of paper and chewing gum??

Peformance wise, I run cams and map, and it is much quicker than standard willy (2lt) power. Although you will get mixed opinions re mod's on the site.

Might be worth getting someone to look/listen to your gearbox noise though.

:lol: :lol:

Scougar
22-02-2007, 11:04

Engine Noises: It is a whining noise mainly and would be gutting as the gearbox is only from late 2004!

If it was a replace gearbox job, then I would get the whole engine bored/honed/replacement pistons etc. Although I do hear that it is a 3 day (24 hour) job to just get the engine out! (Not to mention even simple jobs are a complete git requiring removal of other key parts - according to a trusted and competent mechanic).

Matthew

stan
22-02-2007, 11:14
3 days lol....3 hours taking it easy!

Stick a Williams engine in there....

Scougar
22-02-2007, 13:20
lol... that was Renaults stated time from their computer system!! :shock:

I will be keeping my 1.8. I can't believe that the performance should be this bad. At present, it is only really a 2nd gear warrior... and not a very good one at that. Will get a good idea at the RR I shall be attending in March.

Matthew