PDA

View Full Version : New Goodyear F1s Launched

Swervin_Mervin
21-02-2007, 14:32
Dunno if this has been posted but -

Goodyear has launched a new tyre designed to replace the much-vaunted Eagle F1 GSD3.

But, while the old tyre’s symmetrical tread design was key to the product’s success, Goodyear is expecting the new product to succeed exactly because it isn’t. In addition to an asymmetrical tread design, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric features an asymmetric casing construction designed to reinforce one side and squeeze more grip from the tyre. Goodyear representatives told Tyres & Accessories they were gearing up for more award success following the introduction of the ‘Active Cornergrip Technology’ into the design of its latest tyre.

Part of the Goodyear presentation contained a timeline of milestones Goodyear has achieved at influential points during its development as a company. It is interesting to point out that before the 2007 launch of the new Eagle F1 Asymmetric the manufacturer marked 2006 as being the first use of RFID technology “on a production scale.” By this, Goodyear is referring to its support of NASCAR racing in the US.

Referring to the new product, Goodyear brand support manager Ben Crawley said he believes the continued innovation of the Eagle F1 is essential to keep up with the ever changing demands of motoring: “Today’s high performance vehicles are more advanced, intelligent, powerful and luxurious than ever before; they are also heavier and faster, which means they require tyres that can give control without losing performance, safety or comfort benefits.

“They have very high safety and performance expectations on which they are, for good reasons, not prepared to compromise. Goodyear is therefore very proud to be able to go beyond these consumer demands with the Eagle F1 Asymmetric, fulfilling all their needs - and more.”

Goodyear: Casing Construction a World First

The key technological improvement that has come with the Aysmmetric is the inclusion of a reinforcing component on one side of the tyre. Goodyear researchers suggest that this new technology allows the tyre to have more even road contact across the entire width of the tread and consequently more grip through corners.

The theory behind the new design is that, as the vehicle travels through a corner, a high amount of force is exerted through the tyre’s footprint. The car’s weight distribution tendency moves to the outside shoulder of the tyre and the grip on the outside of the tread is increased, while the grip on the inside of the tyre decreases in comparison.

Goodyear calls this addition of an aramid reinforcement chipper “Active Cornergrip Technology” and says is leads to reduced deflection during cornering for a more even distribution of pressure across the whole contact patch. And what’s more the engineers behind the new tyre describe its launch as a “world premiere.”

When the development team started their work two years ago, they had a clear mandate to develop a tyre capable of use in speeds up to 300 km/h with strong wet and dry cornering abilities.

After two years of development by more than 100 engineers, physicists, chemists and product testers, the team is satisfied. “We are convinced we have achieved our goal,” stated Edouard Michel, project manager at the Goodyear Technical Centre Luxembourg (GTC*L).

The tread pattern of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric changes across the width of the tyre. On the inboard side, an open tread pattern maximizes water dispersion, while a continuous centre rib provides enhanced high-speed stability. Wide solid tread blocks on the outboard side allow maximum grip during cornering.

25% Quieter

As part of the rigorous testing and development procedure employed at GTC*L, the new tyre was experimented on in Goodyear’s semi-anechoic noise chamber. According to the manufacturer, the new Eagle F1 produced 70.2 decibels of noise at 80km/h. To put this in context the current EU noise limit is 75 decibels. In the future this will be reduced to 73 decibels. Goodyear also tested the tyre alongside competing products and found that it outperformed these too – competitor A radiated 71.7 decibels of noise and competitor B 71.5 decibels.

In addition to noise testing, test evaluations were carried out over innumerable miles on public roads and test tracks. In order to tune the product to the specific markets it is aimed for, the R&D department tested the tyre on company tracks in Mireval, France and Wittlich, Germany, as well as on various independent European tracks, such as the Nuerburgring in Germanny and the IDIADA track in Spain.

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric became available at the beginning of March in 24 17- to 20-inch sizes. The tyre is being marketed in some of the lowest profile dimensions on the market and those two-dozen sizes come exclusively in a selection of 50 down to 25 series aspect ratios. Almost the entire range is available with extra load versions.

The new tyre went into production at the beginning of the year at Goodyear’s German Hanau, Fulda and Philippsburg production plants, using compounds that were at least partly mixed at the company’s Wolverhampton mixing facility.

With Goodyear reporting improvements in both wet and dry handling in what is clearly a UHP-orientated product, the obvious question is: how does the tread life perform? According to anecdotal reports from online forums, tread life was not the GSD3’s strong point. However, speaking to members of the research and development team behind the new tyre reveals this has been improved in the latest revision. GTC*L told Tyres & Accessories that the new Asymmetric tyre contains 115 pounds of race level carbon black filler, that means the tyre actually contains more filler than polymer. According to the engineers the result is, “good wear characteristics” that provide better treadwear than the GSD3.

It is also worthwhile mentioning that Goodyear recognises the influential effect that magazine and consumer association test results have on purchasing decisions. It is more than likely that we will see the new Eagle F1 participating in a high profile test, like Auto Express’ annual report, soon. This side of the marketing strategy will support a revised pricing scheme among dealers. One Goodyear representative told T&A that the company wants to help dealers improve sales where some are missing out at the moment by underpricing products. And that is why the new Eagle F1 is expected to retail 5% to 8% higher than its predecessor.

Swervin_Mervin
21-02-2007, 14:32
Looks like a PE2

http://www.ityre.com/i/tyre/20667.jpg

Purple
21-02-2007, 14:43
Better go order my set of GSD3 before it disappear off the shelves. The new one starts at 17-inch. :(

It's odd that Goodyear is replacing the GSD3 so soon. Took them something like a decade to replace their previous GSD2.

J o n
21-02-2007, 15:28
Goodyear should just give up making tyres, the Eagle F1 GSD3's I had lasted 3'500 miles of ROAD driving before being turned into slicks... utter garbage and grip was never great in them... ever... PE2's now and the difference in grip is huge... just need to see how long they last now... lol

2 live
21-02-2007, 15:32
shud b a while with the car hardly moving ;)

J o n
21-02-2007, 15:40
it does move... I've not got a Williams anymore, this one works ;)

Zollo
21-02-2007, 16:19
Goodyear should just give up making tyres, the Eagle F1 GSD3's I had lasted 3'500 miles of ROAD driving before being turned into slicks... utter garbage and grip was never great in them

You want to learn how to be smoother with your driving! Mine lasted 10k road miles and about EIGHT track days. And I never had a problem with grip :twisted:

arj256
21-02-2007, 16:25
Goodyear should just give up making tyres, the Eagle F1 GSD3's I had lasted 3'500 miles of ROAD driving before being turned into slicks... utter garbage and grip was never great in them

You want to learn how to be smoother with your driving! Mine lasted 10k road miles and about EIGHT track days. And I never had a problem with grip :twisted:

Yours where Gsd2's iirc though :wink:
My Gsd3's have lasted 8k of driving so far, so i dont think there that poor wearing :wink:

Zollo
21-02-2007, 16:26
Oh yeah, so they were :P

J o n
21-02-2007, 16:49

My Gsd3's have lasted 8k of driving so far, so i dont think there that poor wearing :wink:

it's not really that, I put my foot down and the wheels spin in most gears... PE2's just grip and away I go

Zollo
21-02-2007, 16:58

U want to try a bit harder then!!.. :P

Yup, that could also be said! :oops:

jay s
21-02-2007, 20:11
:( hope they keep a few 195/50's. im not liking the look of them new ones. they do run out proper quick tho, ive just changed the front set which i got brand new in september just before i done cadwell :shock: 5 months daily use and they were dead :lol: luck i get them for £25 each.....

nyk
21-02-2007, 20:29
:( hope they keep a few 195/50's. im not liking the look of them new ones. they do run out proper quick tho, ive just changed the front set which i got brand new in september just before i done cadwell :shock: 5 months daily use and they were dead :lol: luck i get them for £25 each.....

thats strange, I got mine in August, and they still look brand new, and are driven on daily??!!

I dont like the look of the tread pattern on the new ones there, think I might have to revert back to Yoko's or get some Michelins next time.

Swervin_Mervin
21-02-2007, 20:40
Some of you ought to learn the art of throttle control then. Mine lasted about 18,000 miles and only got finally destroyed on the Haynes sprint day.

So far I'm finding the PE2s far less inspiring in this wet weather.

stew
21-02-2007, 21:52
love my gsd3's. much better than toyo ts-1's, which are utter shite imo.

no grip in damp conditons and way too soft. wore mine out in less than 7k miles. on the road that is.

Purple
22-02-2007, 02:05
Agreed. The D2s hold their performance quite well over time. Typical fast road driving, I get 1 year plus out of them easily. And even with drifty style driving (but with regular rotation), 6 to 10 months is about par. Great tyres (D2), just not on slightly damp surfaces. I must try the D3s before they disappear.

Any others tyre recommendation for people who like the oversteery feel of the F1s? I can't get Mich PE, so that out.