PDA

View Full Version : Decent Brakes for Caterham

FlamingMonkey
11-05-2005, 16:00
Hello people, my mate Billy is after some decent brakes for his Caterham, prolly 4 pots, anybody got any suggestions to makes models or where he can source them from, could you supply them Mark?

If this is in the wrong section Mods feel free to move it :lol:

Cheers

Rob

big hp
11-05-2005, 16:15
I'd of thought Mark R is the man for this. He must know or know a man who does.

J o n
11-05-2005, 17:17
Tarox 6 pots! £900ish iirc

check their site out, pretty good value

Mark_Ritchspeed
11-05-2005, 18:02
Which model of Caterham is it and what size discs is it currently running? No need to go for 6pots on a Caterham IMO as there isnt a lot of weight to slow down.

FlamingMonkey
11-05-2005, 18:56
hmm not sure what Caterham, can't get in touch with him at the mo, this is a pic of it if it helps...lol

http://www.coates.eclipse.co.uk/billy1.jpg

http://www.coates.eclipse.co.uk/billy2.jpg

http://www.coates.eclipse.co.uk/billy3.jpg

Mark_Ritchspeed
11-05-2005, 21:06
Is that a 2litre Duratec in there? It looks like its running 15's anyway so clearance shouldnt be a problem..

Looks ****ing awesome. :D

BenR
11-05-2005, 21:26
zetec,
and you want to junk those socks asap.

Loads of brake options. Check which hubs its running and lookup conversions for that car.

FlamingMonkey
12-05-2005, 00:58
Yeah it's a 2.0 Zetec with apparently 225bhp foookin quickest thing I've been in, which is albeit not a lot :lol:

Whats the problem with the socks fella, thought they would be a good idea?

I'll ask him if he can contact the previous owner who built it to see what hubs are on, I think he mentioned something about ford hubs but that may all be bull crud.

I'll bump the topic tomorrow when I have some specs, cheers so far though.

FlamingMonkey
12-05-2005, 10:08
Right he's been told they are hubs from a Sierra, does that help you Mark, would you be able to source a kit of know where I could get one?

Jan
12-05-2005, 10:46
that's a lovely 7 8)

BenR
12-05-2005, 11:00
Its almost always exclusively for components, or ford compatable.

225bhp from a zetec is an extreem amount of power, and the price of components alone retails at about £4500 due to the poor initial design of the engine. If you've got 225bhp :lol: superb.

Socks are rubbish because of the tiny filter area they offer and associated problems with covering the trumpets. Nobody runs them if they dont have to, and you've got plenty of space for a nice big box filter.

FlamingMonkey
12-05-2005, 11:29
Its almost always exclusively for components, or ford compatable.

225bhp from a zetec is an extreem amount of power, and the price of components alone retails at about £4500 due to the poor initial design of the engine. If you've got 225bhp :lol: superb.

Socks are rubbish because of the tiny filter area they offer and associated problems with covering the trumpets. Nobody runs them if they dont have to, and you've got plenty of space for a nice big box filter.

This is my mates car, and both him and me don't know a lot about these types of cars, he only bought it last week, from a bloke in Autotrader, who told him it was in the region of 225bhp, I had my doubts initially, but after going in it, it wouldn't surprise me if it did have 225bhp, although having never been in a car like this before so I'm not the best judge.

So if you don't mind me picking your brains, where can I find more info about the filter, or can you tell anymore?

Cheers

Rob

BenR
12-05-2005, 20:02
call or email ITG,

tell them you have a zetec runnning some DCOE based bodies and require a JC40 or JC50 (bigger) filter of 100mm depth for both, and preferably the baseplates drilled for the body spacing. If they cant you'll have to buy a blank plate and drill it yourself, or give them the measurements for your setup.

They sent it, you whack it on.....

But 225bhp in a caterham is EXTREEMLY fast....and i mean extreemly.....

For that sort of power out of a zetec you'd be looking at an engine build cost of over 10K with all the steel required.