PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out

Matty86
20-02-2007, 01:53
My valver keeps cutting out :(

after a bit of normal driving, if i stop at a junction or something it will just cut out. sometimes restarts, sometimes doesnt

If it does restart its sometimes misfires for a bit

Now the kind lads down at ECP where i last broke down told me it was the imobiliser kicking it. I locked the car and unlocked it and hey presto, it started!

this time though, its not working :(

It just starts and dies pretty much instantly.

I'm parked on a hill, but I always park there.
It has a full tank of petrol

Its off to the garage tomorrow for them to look at it (if i can get it there that is!!) but if possible i would like to be able to just start it tomorrow morning as i don't fancy waking all the neighbours up at 7 :p trying to gun it to get it going :/

sounds like it could be the ISCV?

Is this the little box that sits just below the slam panel (where the jack etc.. is)?

Purple
20-02-2007, 01:58
Might also be bad/dirty earth points or faulty fuel pump or fuel pump connector.

MAXIBOY
20-02-2007, 02:00
no thats the ecu. the bits your looking for is round the front of the engine by the oil filter and airfilter

Matty86
20-02-2007, 02:01
where are the earths located?

Matty86
20-02-2007, 02:04
no thats the ecu. the bits your looking for is round the front of the engine by the oil filter and airfilter

sorry, was refering to the maf/map/whatever box :p

MAXIBOY
20-02-2007, 02:04
theres lots but the main engine earth is between the end of the gearbox casing and under the battery tray to the chassis leg

Matty86
20-02-2007, 02:09
is there an easy way to get to it?

Don't fancy taking it apart in the morning :/

Purple
20-02-2007, 02:20
is there an easy way to get to it?
Don't fancy taking it apart in the morning :/
It's a mk1 clio, man. Easy is not an option :D :D :D

But the gearbox earth is pretty low on the difficulty factor. And comes up quite often, just search in the old postings.

MAXIBOY
20-02-2007, 02:29
yes its easy. just a bolt into a fixed nut under the battery tray and a nut on the end of the gearbox. check the condition of the strap and then clean the ends and fixing points with a wire brush/bit of sandpaper and re attach. a bit of vaseline will stop corrosion happening again.

BRUN
20-02-2007, 09:03
take your passenger side wheel off and pull the arch lining out, easy to see and easy to change from their, i did mine whilst doing my brake pads, and if i can do it anyone can