PDA

View Full Version : full respray

bill.
16-02-2007, 20:17
i would like to get my car resprayed this year, FULL RESPRAY, as the arches are starting to go, and there's a small dent on one of the arches, so it could do with tidying up................................................ ............

oh yeah and one other thing, its the wrong ****ing colour! :shock:

i've been quoted £1200 + vat off a local place who tidy'd up my old valver, but i'd like to know who's had a full respray, the costs and the results please, what do you think i should be paying for this, and anyone know of any good bodywork shops, northwest based if possible.

white16valver
16-02-2007, 20:18
£1200 sounds cheap for a top job?

MAXIBOY
16-02-2007, 20:18
payed a grand for mine. plus pay cash and haggle

bill.
16-02-2007, 20:42
£1200 sounds cheap for a top job?

he did a good job on the valver, but then again i sold it straight away, so dont know how well it held up.

bill.
16-02-2007, 20:44
payed a grand for mine. plus pay cash and haggle

where you happy with the results? and has it lasted well? asked this guy about paying cash :wink: , but he said it would have to go through the books as its a lot of hours to sort out

northy
16-02-2007, 20:49
I say yours last year bill and noticed the colour differance.

I would get a full window out respray in monico....i would say 1k - £1500 for a perfect job.

fasterthanjesus
16-02-2007, 21:05
im paying £450+vat for a bumper, rear arch and taking it to the passengers door (tar damage) (all blended in). they are doing the arch (properly this time, the last place it lasted 35 days because they used filler!) (and i paid the going rate and vat!).
they are also removing the dimma fuel cap and making the old girl back to original! 8)

renault did the drivers side rear arch under the original 8 years warranty and its really a good job. the place that i am having mine done is the official renault repairers in my area. they did my drivers door last year and im really impressed.

i wish id taken my original job to "trident". goodwins did a really good job with spraying my bonnet and new tailgate, but the repair of the rear arch was shite to say the least.

i'd pay that bit more for a really reputable company.

MAXIBOY
16-02-2007, 21:12
yes mate. my sprayer did an excellent job. had it done three years ago and it was outstanding. this year the paint got contaminated and blistered and he,s doing it again for the cost of the paint. can,t say fairer than that. but its the amount of prep that,s needed that puts the price up. mine had loads but i did most of it myself. also you can save money by stripping and reassembling it yourself

MattyH16valver
16-02-2007, 21:12
I've been considering having a fill re-spray myself this year....gonna get a quote me thinks and c what i'll be looking at, as theres a bloke who lives near me who restores classic cars...E-Type jags etc as he did my bumper and bonnet on the hybrid last year and did a great job. How long would it take normally for a full re-sray?

MAXIBOY
16-02-2007, 21:19
depends on work involved. mine took a month as because of the kit ect he wanted to leave the primer to harden off properly before top coating

MattyH16valver
16-02-2007, 21:27
depends on work involved. mine took a month as because of the kit ect he wanted to leave the primer to harden off properly before top coating
A month! :shock: Fooking Hell :lol:

MAXIBOY
16-02-2007, 21:28
yeah but this time a week

bill.
17-02-2007, 00:34
northy-yeah i'm deffo gonna go for a window out job and get it done properly, when you saw it did you notice it wasn't all the wrong colour...............................the wing mirrors are spot on :roll:
(so that should save some cost on the respray) :wink:

maxiboy-fair does sounds like a good price especialy if he's going to redo it just for paint cost, might consider stripping some of it myself, although i could end up with a garage full of bits and bobs left over that way, oh well theres always ebay!

i'm open to any recommendations north west-ish :D

2 live
17-02-2007, 10:08
i know of a couple of bodyshops, the work is bang on.....they are dear tho. but then u get wot u pay for imho wen it comes to things like this. pay cheap....and within a few months, any rust from the last lot will start showin thru.

mehdi had the white one and the nana painted somewhere in manc, think it was bout £400 each, full respray...... not the best of jobs, but they both look tidy enuff, but again, like i said, give em a couple years, they wont look so hot. alhto they are standing up quite well for the price paid.

i would say u lookin at 1500+ for a proper job, dependant on colour and work needed b4 paint etc.

bill.
17-02-2007, 17:32
i know of a couple of bodyshops, the work is bang on.....they are dear tho. but then u get wot u pay for imho wen it comes to things like this. pay cheap....and within a few months, any rust from the last lot will start showin thru.

mehdi had the white one and the nana painted somewhere in manc, think it was bout £400 each, full respray...... not the best of jobs, but they both look tidy enuff, but again, like i said, give em a couple years, they wont look so hot. alhto they are standing up quite well for the price paid.

i would say u lookin at 1500+ for a proper job, dependant on colour and work needed b4 paint etc.

£400 quid, thats cheap as chips, is that for a colour change aswell? as in for the nana? did they know the bloke or something? know what your saying about you get what you pay for though, but then again at £400 you could afford to get it done every couple of years :shock:

to be fair mine doesn't really need that much prep, just spraying the right colour would be nice :roll: suppose i would be prepared to pay upto £1500 give or take for a top job!

jay s
17-02-2007, 18:23
carisma charge around £2000 inc vat, will be a top job and need the car for 2 weeks.

clowo16v
17-02-2007, 19:19
If you can do the prep I know a guy who'll do a mint primer n top coat job for £500 ish. You'll need to strip the car yourself and flat the paint off tho.

Matt

northy
18-02-2007, 00:37
northy-yeah i'm deffo gonna go for a window out job and get it done properly, when you saw it did you notice it wasn't all the wrong colour...............................the wing mirrors are spot on :roll:
(so that should save some cost on the respray) :wink:

tbh mate - i noticed straight away (a williams 3 painted williams 1 & 2 colour kinda stands out) - when i opened the doors the original colour was still there.

Glad your getting it sorted....it is a tidy car.

2 live
18-02-2007, 00:54

£400 quid, thats cheap as chips, is that for a colour change aswell? as in for the nana? did they know the bloke or something? know what your saying about you get what you pay for though, but then again at £400 you could afford to get it done every couple of years :shock:

to be fair mine doesn't really need that much prep, just spraying the right colour would be nice :roll: suppose i would be prepared to pay upto £1500 give or take for a top job!

yes m ate....afaik neither the nana or the white bodied beastie were orignlly that colour....the nana being red for a start.lol............

but like i say...better off talkin to martin and gaz bout how the paint has actually lasted.... but again..400 for full resparay.........not gunna be the best job in the world...

carlisleboy
18-02-2007, 17:29
£420 full respray smoothed bonnet and boot and arches sorted 8)

benjer182
18-02-2007, 18:10
i resprayed my car yeaterday cost of 60 pound really good job smoothed bonnet and boot well left button and lowere trim but smoothed trim in so just handle still need the 16v spoiler paintin bumpers grill and door shts but that will b next sat :D btw im a panel beater thats y it was
so cheap

MAXIBOY
18-02-2007, 18:13
so do you hobble

benjer182
18-02-2007, 18:18
dont no that word soz

benjer182
18-02-2007, 18:19
unlesss u mean i walk funny but i dont or u may mean cobble or foriegner

MAXIBOY
18-02-2007, 21:11
hobble means do work outside of office hours for cash. do you run you own business or work for a bodyshop.

benjer182
19-02-2007, 21:08
yeah work at merc approved bodyshop so workin on mercs i do a lot orf rust cuz mercs rust well bad oonly third year apprentice but nearly finished. my filler work is good especially on flat panels and yeah done a few jobs outside of work but im not so good at the sprayin i can spray i spray primer all day long

MattyH16valver
19-02-2007, 21:34
As a rough estimate I've been quoted 2k by someone down the road from me who restores Jag E-Types etc, so I'm gonna show him the car this weekend to see what he says and if I can get the price down! :lol: He did a good job on my hybrid's bonnet and bumper last year, so I don't mind letting him loose on the williams. :shock:

MattyH16valver
20-02-2007, 23:48
I might be cheeky and take a few days off work....strip the car myself....do all the prep work I can...and hopefully that will bring the price down as 2k is still a lot of money! :shock:

bill.
22-02-2007, 16:30
when you lot say do the prep work yourself, whats included in this?

MAXIBOY
22-02-2007, 16:56
you will need to leave the final prep work to the painter unless you really good. but depending on what you want sprayed stripping the car back to basis will save you money. all trim etc then rubbing the car down with wet and dry paper till its got a surface ready for filling and priming

MattyH16valver
22-02-2007, 20:53
As above....will c how much he will take off the price before i decide whether to do it or not. All about the time factor at the end of the day.