PDA

View Full Version : anyone changed their dash LED's on here?

drsmith1979
16-02-2007, 01:16
dones ome searching and seen some awesome pics! however, when ive looked closer they are all taken from a german website so it appears no one on here has done it? they look uber cool in blue! anyone got any pics or advice on how to do it? there are packages on ebay that look like good value as they come with the led carriers to simply plug and twist, any ideas ? pics?

nyk
16-02-2007, 02:28
It was discussed on the picture thread.

I would suggest putting in the blue LED's, if you do not get the desired effect with the red, put some red electrical tape on the back of your clock faces. This should brighten up the red colouring when the light shines through it.

:lol:

VIPERONE
16-02-2007, 13:27
use filter gels as used in theatrical lighting... its very easy to change the bulbs.. a tad fiddly if you take the clocks apart

drsmith1979
16-02-2007, 13:28
anyone make a guide?

VIPERONE
16-02-2007, 13:34
ive definitely seen one floating about.. i will have a look cant remember which site it was on...

if not i'll create one

MAXIBOY
16-02-2007, 14:45
Go ........ Gunner

FATBOY
16-02-2007, 19:22
hurry up gunner! can you get a guide together before sunday??? as im doing mine on sunday!!! :shock:

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 19:38
hurry up gunner! can you get a guide together before sunday??? as im doing mine on sunday!!! :shock:

Its pretty self explanatory when you get the dials apart

Firstly unscrew the front plate from the dials, this is done with a pozi-head screwdriver, they're all around the edge, you'll then see the dial faces.

The speedo section is held in by 2 torx screws on the back, undo these and it should pop out of the casing, think its the same with the tacho and the other 2 little ones. The tacho needs to be pulled out gently as the electrical contacts are delicate.

once out use a fork to remove the needles and the dial faces will peel off the backing.

you could probably do this with the dials still in the casing so you could ignore the bit above about removing them.

Then if u wanted to change the colour of the "glow" you could use a gel film like in theatre (as gunner said) i'm sure maplin sell this shit. and you could even use coloured LED's aswell to enhance the glow.

FATBOY
16-02-2007, 20:17
im just changing the bulbs over to blue LEDs thats it! will that work? or does the orange "film" need to be changed?

oh and cheers for the guide mate!

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 20:25
im just changing the bulbs over to blue LEDs thats it! will that work? or does the orange "film" need to be changed?

oh and cheers for the guide mate!

I tried to do that, just changed the OE bulbs for blue LED's but it didn't really do much, didn't even change to a purple colour (which i expected) because of the film on the dials, i'll get a pic up of the offending article

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 20:30
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/_SC01500.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/_SC01506.jpg

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 20:32
you can't really change the "film" as it's part of the dial, you can however (i think) use a blue film to overpower the orange film and maybe use blue LED's too (although the OE bulbs are brighter)

FATBOY
16-02-2007, 21:00
so its not worth doing then mate??? what blue film can be used????

VIPERONE
16-02-2007, 21:07
thats the prob i got.. in fact the clear plastic was tinted orange!

the dial face can easily be copied on to that sort of platic, minus the film...just need to find a company to do it....

fatboy:

blue filter gels, buy them in a disco lighting shop etc..

be a cowboy, scan the dials in and shop them, then craft knife the increment slots

FATBOY
16-02-2007, 21:09
fook it! i will give it a miss! sounds like to much hassle! anyone wanna do it for me?(the bit that gunner said about above!) i can fit them :wink: i can pay £££

drsmith1979
16-02-2007, 21:57
i reckon if we could come up with a way of doing it we could charge a nice sum do get it all swapped over and working! business opportunity me thinks! haha

on a side note, if im simply going to go with the standard colour, is it easy to replace the bulbs like for like? the one nearest to the speedo doesnt work so its hard to see how fast im going......honest officer haha

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 22:32
thats the prob i got.. in fact the clear plastic was tinted orange!

williams ones are clear and so are some ph1 16v's, the ones with the orange tinted plastic bits have no chance, think i've got some spare clear ones if anyone wants them ?

Fatboy i'd be tempted to try and do it BUT the pain in the arse is the needles, getting them back in the right place is a right swine and now my willy dials read as if my car has too little petrol and is always too warm :( need to sort that.

The best possible solution i could come up with was getting metal monkey dials OR as gunner says scan them in and reprint them on some decent paper.

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 22:34
i reckon if we could come up with a way of doing it we could charge a nice sum do get it all swapped over and working! business opportunity me thinks! haha

on a side note, if im simply going to go with the standard colour, is it easy to replace the bulbs like for like? the one nearest to the speedo doesnt work so its hard to see how fast im going......honest officer haha

changing the bulb is childs play, undo all the screws securing the dials in the dash ( 2 on top, 2 underneath) and then look at the back, find the offending bulb, twist out the holder, replace bulb and twist back in :D

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 22:38
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/_SC01509.jpg

I have this old image from someone, they scanned them in and shopped em, then just printed them off

FATBOY
16-02-2007, 23:07
wheres that dial from???? thats old? theres a choke warning sign on the right?

Clio_GTT
16-02-2007, 23:12
wheres that dial from???? thats old? theres a choke warning sign on the right?

ph1 dials have a choke warning light (not that it had a choke lol)

its an old pic i have from somewhere, think cliosport