PDA

View Full Version : Andy's Broken 1.4

AndyFielder
16-02-2007, 01:03
Hi all,

some of you may remember me asking for an engine for my car, well i finished it today, and with the turn of a key it worked!

The full story..

I had an induction kit on my car. the mounting plate disintegrated, after about 4000miles, bits of metal and bolts went into the inlet manifold.

This jammed a valve.

I pulled apart the head removed the offending items, put it back together..

The engine ran very roughly, but worked. Used it to commute to work, the engine stalled sometimes at low revs and under acceleration there would be blips in the power delivered. I assume the valve had been bent, and was sticking.

I source a new engine to replace it.

I then drive down to Portsmouth, from London, to see some mates. All seems fine, on the way back up one of the coolant hoses sprang a leak. Rang up said mate, who bought me some tape and water.. this holds till im parking up in London. I think stuff it, Finnish parking and turned it off. It was late.

Go to turn it over the next morning, engine wont start!

So, pushed the engine to the drive way.

Get the new engine, a crane and engine stand.

Remove old gearbox from new engine, remove its power steering bits. Sort out its loom etc etc.

Try to remove my old engine.

One of the drive shaft retaining pis is stuck. This drive shaft is bent from previous owners crash.

Buy angle grinder, chop off drive shaft.

Remove engine.

My old clutch is totally screwed, get me a new one of those. Get some new rubber boots for the steering rack and a new track rod end.

Cant get the drive shaft off the hub, cant use the engine as a break!

Take drive shaft to dads mates machine shop. Weld drive shaft to a huge lathe, try and remove nut using socket on the end of 1meter gas piping.. The lathes break isn't strong enough!

Turn on lathe slowly to increase breaking.. off comes the nut.

Next take hub to a 10tonne press to push the drive shaft out of the hub!

Re attach gear box and new clutch, after hours of me struggling to get the shafts to line up!

Put engine back in the car, re attach drive shafts, exhaust loom etc etc...

Turn key in ignition... The bloody thing started!

Now i realize i have a hole in the exhaust, so getting that sorted tomorrow!

What a traumatic time the last week has been for the little car.

I now owe my parents 1000, which is holding up my real project for another month..

At least the car should pass MOT and not have any more huge issues whilst I'm doing my dream hybrid project. It also means i have all the time in the world on the project, to do it all just rite!

Wish me luck with the exhaust!

Andy

wavy
16-02-2007, 01:08
The lathes break isn't strong enough!
if it can go wrong it will go wrong :lol:
sounds like u have put plenty of time n effort in mate
it will be worth it :)