PDA

View Full Version : New battery terminals?

bluenose
14-02-2007, 12:54
Was going to pick the Mrs up the other night and my battery light flickered and then came on. I pulled over turned everything off and opened the bonnet, and tightened up the battery terminals. I then started the car up with nothing on and after a couple of minutes the light went out. I thought nothing of it and then it happened again last night so i did the same only this time i completely unscrewed the terminal's and screwed them back on. I noticed there was some crusty build up around the terminal's but again, after messing with the terminals and leaving the car ticking over for a few minutes, the light went out. This would suggest that the terminals just need a good clean or maybe a new set?! Just thought id check if anyone has had this and it turned out to be an alternator fault as thats when it gets pricey! I'll give the terminals a good clean anyway and see what happens, any reccomendations as to what to use to clean them?
Cheers lads,
Ross

Rich
14-02-2007, 12:59
i sacked off the crappy renault terminals long ago and got some proper terminals, never had a problem with them since ;)

Daz.
14-02-2007, 19:19
i sacked off the crappy renault terminals long ago and got some proper terminals, never had a problem with them since ;)

Yup I posted this the other day - as soon as they've been off a few times there rubbish - Halfords do one ofr a few quid and it's fantastic its impossible to get a loose connection!

Rob72
14-02-2007, 20:03
good clean with sand paper fixed it for me.

Daz.
14-02-2007, 20:04
its that stupid spinning thing on top that does me in - once thats warped it'll never wedge on properly - thats why mine was kangarooing all over the place!

Purple
14-02-2007, 23:21
Sandpaper clean the terminals. And put a jubilee hose clamp over the positive terminal.

BRUN
15-02-2007, 01:04
i recently got these off Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-BRAND-NEW-HEAVY-DUTY-MARINE-BATTERY-TERMINALS_W0QQitemZ120085769750QQihZ002QQcategoryZ 15263QQcmdZViewItem

Purple
15-02-2007, 01:04
Sandpaper clean the terminals. And put a jubilee hose clamp over the positive terminal.
Sorry, I meant put a jubliee hose clamp over renault's red connector legs that sits over the battery positive terminal. That will stop the red connector legs from coming loose.

bluenose
15-02-2007, 09:44
Cheers people. Will just give them a good clean and pop some new terminals on at the weekend then 8)