PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

donsrno1
11-02-2007, 02:04
How difficult are these to replace? How long did it take anyone who has done it?

If you were to drive a car with a broken pump, i.e without power steering, how difficult is it to drive? I had thought before it would be the same as any non-power steering model but have read something about different ratios on the steering rack meaning it's rediculously heavy if you just drive with a broken pump.

Thanks

Clio_GTT
11-02-2007, 12:34
Its heavier than a std manual rack but not much more, my pump is on its way out and sometimes doesn't pump so its stiff then all of a sudden pumps and the steering lightens up.

Time for a new pump, its not a difficult job, just time consuming, i changed the water pump on mine and its basically the same job.

wavy
11-02-2007, 14:21
to hard to drive without a p/s pump not like a normal non p/s
took me about 2 hours to change the pump
its fiddly more than hard

donsrno1
11-02-2007, 18:53
Thanks for the answers - so would you say it would be a bit of a nightmare to drive it like that on a longish drive?

midge
11-02-2007, 19:10
i drove my hybrid for 2 month's without power steering, bought a new pump, started removing everything off to take the old one out only to realise it was the metal pipe that was leeking.

VIPERONE
11-02-2007, 19:11
i drove my hybrid for 2 month's without power steering, bought a new pump, started removing everything off to take the old one out only to realise it was the metal pipe that was leeking.

pmsl

we've all done similar things.. :oops:

azza
18-02-2007, 16:47
Whilst on this subject. Mine is on it's way out, it groans like a banchie and is quite embarrasing on the garage forecourt! Can the part be sourced easily? i've spent many a night on the internet and no joy. Can any one point me in the right direction for a replacement.

Cheers

midge
18-02-2007, 20:00
i literally just sold mine a couple of days ago, i see your from redhill? im in coulsdon, what car do you drive?

BristolSam16v
18-02-2007, 20:38
Whilst on this subject. Mine is on it's way out, it groans like a banchie and is quite embarrasing on the garage forecourt! Can the part be sourced easily? i've spent many a night on the internet and no joy. Can any one point me in the right direction for a replacement.

Cheers
Just checking but you have looked at the PAS fluid level? I thought mine was on the way out cause it made such a racket but it was just low on fluid!

azza
18-02-2007, 23:01
i literally just sold mine a couple of days ago, i see your from redhill? im in coulsdon, what car do you drive?

azza
18-02-2007, 23:03

Damn. I have a willaims 1 - good fun. What do you drive?

azza
18-02-2007, 23:06

Cheers
Just checking but you have looked at the PAS fluid level? I thought mine was on the way out cause it made such a racket but it was just low on fluid!

Yeah and did the old turning the steering wheel with the cap off, trick. It started out as a squeeky belt, I had it tightened and it seems to have buggered the pump! ..but cheers for the pointer :)

Smudger
21-02-2007, 16:08
My belt is squeeking at the moment, seems to quiten down tho when i steer when stationary. could this just be that the belt is loose?

big hp
21-02-2007, 19:21
to hard to drive without a p/s pump not like a normal non p/s
took me about 2 hours to change the pump
its fiddly more than hard

What needed removing to do it mate?

Can you give me a brief overview of what you did.

Looks like a horrible job, mine needs doing soon..... very soon.

azza
21-02-2007, 22:28
My belt is squeeking at the moment, seems to quiten down tho when i steer when stationary. could this just be that the belt is loose?

I had that problem originally. Does the squeeqing get faster when the revs increase too? I had the belt tightened and the next thing something started moaning and vibrating when I turn the wheel! Maybe the pump was on it's way out anyway. Get the belt tightened and if the squeeking stops bonus! Another possibility is the belt needs replacing - just one of those things - trial and error!