PDA

View Full Version : General concensus on high octane petrol and mapping?....

drsmith1979
10-02-2007, 03:58
Having come from the EVO world and constantly using my sat nav to keep in contact with my nearest Shell garage for a steady supply of V-Power, im actually nicely surprised that the clio runs so well on normal 95 RON unleaded!

however, after doing loads of searching on the forum regarding uprated fuel and mapping its a little unclear. From what i understand, Evo's and other cars have minimum and maximum values (maps) which can be used depending on the quality and RON of the fuel. the car is mapped to run on optimax and high octane petrol, however, as they are fitted with knock sensors that can detect detonation the car can adapt its values to compensate. the car wont run particularly well, but it will run all the same.

I have just ordered a gunner chip for my williams and was wondering what people have found when using optimax (V-Power), tesco 99RON etc.. doesnt the car have to be mapped to run on this fuel in order to get the best results? if so can gunner do this? is there a marked difference when running it in a standard car? like i have said, coming from the evo world you have a great affinity for V-power and the like as its all your baby will run on lol. dont mind spending the extra moola on the good stuff if its going to benefit the car, but if the map values that are on the ecu cannot make use of it then its a bit pointless. peoples ideas would be greatly appreciated.

stan
10-02-2007, 11:40
For a start Clios are NA, so they are not as knock limited...so the worry of HAVING to run high octane fuel is reduced.

In any csae when it gets down to the nitty grity of things,you are only going to see a benefit when you are mapping specifically for that engine. A generic map chip isnt really going to cut it.

darrenm1eqn
10-02-2007, 12:14
Im running a remapped chip and an advanced ignition sensor + 6 degrees
from BB Performance and im running 99 Ron and found it made a big
difference with my setup..

Car is more responsive ...

drsmith1979
10-02-2007, 13:10
@ stan - yeah i did think about that, im just of the opinion that the extra octane rating cant really be utilised to its full potential unless as you say the car is specifically mapped to the fuel and the individual engine. It would be interesting to do a comparison though so maybe a future project on the cards? lol

@ darren - sounds cool! how much did that set you back? are you running modded cams too then? be interested to know how the whole set up compliments the driving performance etc...

has anyone actually got their car mapped so it can only run on high octane fuel? if so how and costs involved would be very cool

Purple
10-02-2007, 13:18
You could also try a bit of homebrew re-mapping with this:
http://www.fastchip.nl/show.php?lang=en&action=R-tuner

Not as good as on-dyno mapping but it's cheaper and you can re-tune whenever you like.

2 live
10-02-2007, 13:28
quite a few ppl have had their cars mapped mate.....and i think most will have been running on optimax wen the car was mapped....except the tight fukkers ;).......so basically the car will run better wen its running the fuel it was mapped on.

as stan says...a generic chip will give u some kind of improvement...but a chip mapped to suit....engine/mods etc will be a lot better in the long run.

u pays ur money.......u takes ur choice.

mine was mapped on 97 ron tho........the old skool optimax.......still runs fine on the99 tho

drsmith1979
10-02-2007, 13:29
anyone run mega squirt on their williams? i have a friend who runs it on his GT4 and its awesome! you have to know what your doing mind, but its a cheap alternative to full mapping sessions?

drsmith1979
10-02-2007, 13:33
oooh that r tuner thingy looks cool! does it have generic maps which can be fine tuned or is it all from scratch?

darrenm1eqn
10-02-2007, 13:44
All my setup is nothing special ..

Full Magnex exhaust and decat

Viper Inductionkit

Remapped Chip Mapped on Rolling road

BB Performance Advanced Ignition Timing Sensor + 6 Degrees

99 Ron

Nothing much but made a big difference to responce ..

The AITS from BB Performance made a big difference Especially when
Running 99 Ron fuel ..

http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=3097

stan
10-02-2007, 18:56
The R-Tuner is good...but the the data-logging software isnt thats easy to read...its a good set-up if you have a dyno and experience, and know what you are doing.

As for mega-squirt,,,,theres no doubting it does the job..but I would rather pay £100 for the likes of a KMS ecu..which has proper control due to faster processor and sample rate etc. In any case you need to spend time on mapping it...but with the MS more time is involved (which unless you can DIY=more money).

stan
10-02-2007, 18:57
As for mapping to a specific fuel..I mapped my Clio with the Emerald to shell optimax, but didnt do any back to back tests with std fuel.

drsmith1979
10-02-2007, 19:06
does your car run equally as well (arse dyno) on 95 as opposed to 99 RON fuel?

stan
10-02-2007, 19:23
I never ran it on 95 tbh...its a high compression engine so didnt want to risk det. Im currently rebuilding to a higher spec...and I will be sticking to higher ron fuel.

My other Williams returned 45mpg on a 330 mile run yesterday...running on tesco 99 ron.
My old valver would only do 40mpg on the same run on optimax.

drsmith1979
10-02-2007, 19:32
sounds cool to me, Gunner has just pm'd me with some infor regarding his chip and the fuel the map is based on so its all good. Tesco 99 RON here we come! lol

VIPERONE
11-02-2007, 18:07
its mapped to 97 i have a disc with 100s of maps on, but not many of them are the best nor work.. my poor car has been put through pain changing the ecu over. ive sent you a quick changed adapter so you caqn go back to any mapped chip very quickly.

VIPERONE
11-02-2007, 18:09
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/gunnergibson/e2_1_b.jpg

drsmith1979
17-02-2007, 21:20
that green box thingy is legend! especially if you want to run different maps for different occasions, i.e. track day, drag etc... obviously you have to have the chips with the appropriate map on but it saves you having to resolder the chip everytime! i will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow as im having mine fitted 8) ooooh cant wait! haha

2 live
18-02-2007, 01:02
mines kinda the same as gunners.

i can put any chip i like in mine now, albeit with a slightly diff mouning place.....its still on the oe ecu .but minee isnt how gunners is....best of all words if ur ecu is like this id say tbh....as u say...diff chip for diff settings...i.e 1 for top speed, 1 for strip, 1 for track etc.

MAXIBOY
18-02-2007, 14:24
or different maps stored on a chip and a internal switch in the car to change between maps in an instant. thats what i want. 250 map 300 map 350 map mmmmmmm..............

drsmith1979
18-02-2007, 18:01
that would be good, get it done maxiboy! lol

MAXIBOY
18-02-2007, 18:05
yeah working on it for the turbo conversion at the moment. want to be able to run different maps and boost pressures at the turn/flick of a switch/knob

drsmith1979
18-02-2007, 18:25
they do it in the states for truck performance, you can buy a unit that you can simply 'turn on the fly' and change whenever you like

POWARTEK
18-02-2007, 18:27
dreamscience, runs 4 independant maps.