PDA

View Full Version : 182 officially a bag of wank

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 20:41
Curtosy of Tiff Needell

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 20:44
Slower than a rice cooker.

What the **** does Phil Bennett know about hot hatches?

Enid
09-05-2005, 20:45
Type R quicker than an FRS and Boxter :shock:

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 20:46
And a Willy beating an NSX-R down the Welsh mountains. :D

Rich
09-05-2005, 20:49
ha ha ****ing ha!

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 20:52
Man that 182 looked unstable. I bet all the little chav owners are trying to justify buying one now.

'Well it wasnt a fair test because, the wind was in the wrong direction, and the car was blue, so a silver one would be faster.....and....er.....it was a slow example....'

Williams still the King of hatches Boys :wink:

Enid
09-05-2005, 21:00
My sisters Boyfriend works at a volvo/mistubishi dealer and they have taken a 182 in part ex. He took it out for a spin and reckoned it was slower than the new Mitsubishi Colt Sport 1.5 turbo thingy. He didn't seem impressed.

VIPERONE
09-05-2005, 21:01
rob, where u c the williams take on NSX?

Rich
09-05-2005, 21:01
http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=159140&PagePosition=1
here's the excuses journal lol

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:06
On the Evo mag shoot. Williams overtakes the F550 and NSX-R and the NSX gives chase. Couldnt cathc it and the Williams slowly pulled away. I was following in a P1 :D

Smokey McPot
09-05-2005, 21:06
172 Cup is the king of Hot Hatches

The Williams is the grandfather......

ooooh controversial.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:07
'Damping considerably better than the 172 cup' Evo mag, after driving my low mileage Williams. :D

Smokey McPot
09-05-2005, 21:13
I drive both daily.

elements of the Williams strike me as though they were cobbled together with whatever was scuffing about at the time.

the cup feels designed to be a hot hatch.

Williams is a more rewarding drive though :)

lagerlout1
09-05-2005, 21:14
So Evo's opinion on the Willy is valid, but not it's opinion on the 182? :wink:
I didn't see the program.... what happened?

Enid
09-05-2005, 21:17
I drive both daily.

elements of the Williams strike me as though they were cobbled together with whatever was scuffing about at the time.

Hehe, thats just your one mate :lol:

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:18
So Evo's opinion on the Willy is valid, but not it's opinion on the 182? :wink:
I didn't see the program.... what happened?

Ctr spanked the 182 round a track both driven by Tiff

lagerlout1
09-05-2005, 21:19
Spanked?!! :shock:
By how much??
Never mind. It can't win them all.... and everybody knows fifth gear is utter dross. :wink:

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:20
I drive both daily.

And i drive 2 williams' and i can tell you the dofference between 17,000 and 140,000 is about 3 seconds a lap. :wink:

Smokey McPot
09-05-2005, 21:20
easier to get the power down in the bread van, more weight, also, he forget top take the handbrake off the clio

jill
09-05-2005, 21:21
They should have used a black one :D

Smokey McPot
09-05-2005, 21:23
I drive both daily.

And i drive 2 williams' and i can tell you the dofference between 17,000 and 140,000 is about 3 seconds a lap. :wink:

The differnce is near 10 seconds on my private test track, that includes a 3 point turn to go back to the start/finish. Timed by my superman £1 watch :)

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:32
All the chavs are seriously pissed of on chavva sport.

Smokey McPot
09-05-2005, 21:35
Bless them.

Prehaps some new body kit will sooth their fevered brow's

lagerlout1
09-05-2005, 21:35
Are they? Doesn't seem like it to me. They seem to have taken the dismissive route. What it needs are a couple of CTR owners to go on there and fan the flames.... :twisted:

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:36
Im gonna buy them a gold clown chain to make them happy again.

I noticed some soverign rings on a recent on board camera shot round Brands.

Smokey McPot
09-05-2005, 21:41
all that extra metal will add to the weight.....probably why the 182 was slower, full of Elizabeth Duke jewellery and knockoff DVD's, oh and big Amp and Sub.

J o n
09-05-2005, 21:47
182... CTR... who cares. my car will eat both of them for fun and that's all that matters to me :lol:

I'd consider it more a fair test too, as my suspension has about 2k in total on it and the oldest part in the engine bay is the gearbox on 30k ish. a tired old Williams isn't what I would consider a fair test :roll:

Swervin_Mervin
09-05-2005, 21:51
Now I'll be the first to admit that I really dislike the 182, but there is no fvcking way on god's earth that the CTR is quicker. I've always said Tiff's shit though. The only thing he's good at is getting stuff sideways, which explains why the 182 lost, since he was obviously getting it more sideways than the CTR.

Much as I appreciate that you dislike the 182 KS, that test was bollocks. Funny how Tiff's the ONLY journo that thinks the CTR is quicker/better.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 22:03
New Ctr was quicker in the hands of the stig too (Damon Hill). Tiff also happens to be ex-f1 driver, and i dont care what anyone says, even the worst f1 driver there have been are in the top 5% of all drivers.

Swervin_Mervin
09-05-2005, 22:18
Stig was never Hill. It was Perry McCarthy and then Ben Collins. And Tiff IS shit. I never seen him finish one race with a car intact, on the odd occasion he did finish a race.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 22:30
Haha, so who started the rumour it was damon? Im disapointed.

Swervin_Mervin
09-05-2005, 22:41
The first guy, McCarthy used to showboat mor I noticed, getting it lairy a bit. That's why most of his laptimes are surprising when other cars driven by Collins properly have thrown up surprises."

I only defend the 182 in these circumstances because the CTR is about the only car I could hate more.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 22:46
Id have the honda simply for the fact that it is more expensive and therefore less chavs will own one.

Swervin_Mervin
09-05-2005, 22:49
That's what you'd think but most CTR owners I've seen are complete cocksockets. Hence my loathing of them so much. Plus they all have heads like Frank Sideottom. I think it's a requirement before buying that you have yor head measured.

VIPERONE
09-05-2005, 23:28
Stig is Nigel Mansell.. that is from a reliable source/

lagerlout1
10-05-2005, 00:27
OK, the vids up on CS and I've just watched it. What a crock of shite. How can a CTR be more nimble than a 182???
Why aren't there any decent motoring programs on anymore? It's all pure drama.... why does Tiff feel the need to go sideways at every given opportunity? For the cameras..... I'd love to see him doing some serious driving for a change.

BRUN
10-05-2005, 00:41
most CTR owners I've seen are complete cocksockets.

LOL.....thats a new one on me, love it !

y0z2a
10-05-2005, 01:16
Stig is Nigel Mansell.. that is from a reliable source/

gunner,

I was at the ring in september, and the stig was there with clarkson & top gear, and he is a tiny whafe of a guy. mansell is a lot bigger built.

I am not saying it isn't mansell, but i would be very suprised if it is.

/y0z

NickFr
10-05-2005, 07:27
The stig is not any of the aforementioned, and sadly the result of this "SHOOTOUT" was marred by bad driving by Tiff, who had clearly already decided he preferred the Honda. 2 tenths of a second...nothing...a bit of a laugh at the expense of Reno....What about Johnny Herbert for stig....The right size :wink:

Jan
10-05-2005, 08:46
On the Evo mag shoot. Williams overtakes the F550 and NSX-R and the NSX gives chase. Couldnt cathc it and the Williams slowly pulled away. I was following in a P1 :D

Will never get bored of reading that article! 8)

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2005, 10:09
Stig is Ben Collins. Factomundo.

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 11:12
OK, the vids up on CS and I've just watched it. What a crock of shite. How can a CTR be more nimble than a 182???
Why aren't there any decent motoring programs on anymore? It's all pure drama.... why does Tiff feel the need to go sideways at every given opportunity? For the cameras..... I'd love to see him doing some serious driving for a change.

Face facts. Outside of the liitle bubble that is the forum land 'Chavasport', the 182 and 172 is a competant car. But thats as far as it goes. It is not a Williams beater. Fact. Its just a good hot hatch that was biult to give little boys who couldnt afford a proper car something to talk about with other like minded IT employed playstation gamers (just realised gamers sounds like it has something to do with homosexuality, funny that).

If the 182 is slower than a CTR round a smooth track, think how much a Williams would hand it its arse on a plate down a Welsh mountain. Ive driven thousands of miles in a Williams, and when i tested a 182 it felt boring, unacomplished and lifeless in comparison. I can see where Tiff was coming from.

As for the sliding and sideways action, you really have to be deluded if you think that the times were taken from the laps were he got sideways. I guarntee the fast laps would have been driven more touring car stylee and he probably did a number and took his best one.

So thats two professional racing drivers that can go quicker in a CTR. When will people realise the 182 is just a good hot hatch, and Phil Bennett really has no experience to review it properly.

Long live King Williams :D

u33db
10-05-2005, 11:41
Don't see what the complaints are for - it was pretty close but the honda was faster...which is what you'd expect, given thats its in a different class. TBH it sounds a little like jealousy coming from the 1?2 brigade...almost as if they wish they had a more acomplished car (like the honda??). I'll agree that the 1?2 is a good car but IMO a sensible people should acknowlege better machinary...

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2005, 12:05
Yes, fair dos, but the CTR is a long way from being superior machinery.

u33db
10-05-2005, 12:28
well they don't break down as much if thats what you mean....!

lagerlout1
10-05-2005, 13:21

Face facts. Outside of the liitle bubble that is the forum land 'Chavasport', the 182 and 172 is a competant car. But thats as far as it goes. It is not a Williams beater. Fact. Its just a good hot hatch that was biult to give little boys who couldnt afford a proper car something to talk about with other like minded IT employed playstation gamers (just realised gamers sounds like it has something to do with homosexuality, funny that).

If the 182 is slower than a CTR round a smooth track, think how much a Williams would hand it its arse on a plate down a Welsh mountain. Ive driven thousands of miles in a Williams, and when i tested a 182 it felt boring, unacomplished and lifeless in comparison. I can see where Tiff was coming from.

As for the sliding and sideways action, you really have to be deluded if you think that the times were taken from the laps were he got sideways. I guarntee the fast laps would have been driven more touring car stylee and he probably did a number and took his best one.

So thats two professional racing drivers that can go quicker in a CTR. When will people realise the 182 is just a good hot hatch, and Phil Bennett really has no experience to review it properly.

Long live King Williams :D

I'm not questioning the result - I couldn't really give a toss. I would expect the CTR to be quicker - it's a faster car. But I've driven both, and just cannot understand how you could describe the CTR as being more nimble than a 182. It's heavier, has bigger wheels, a longer wheel base, and is shaped liked a van. It just doesn't add up.

And I'm well aware that the sdeways bits were, as I said, for the cameras. I'm sure they did several laps to get a quick time and what I was trying to say was these are the laps I would have like to have seen, not some dramatised rubbish ahcked together by a 2nd year media student.

Anyway, fifth gear - schmith gear. Evo is the only vote that counts right? :wink:

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 13:39
Haha.

A car doesnt have to be small and light to be nimble. The evo boys loved the 'huge' F550 for the same reasons they liked my little Williams.

I think the 'steering feel' myth is something armchair racers on Chavvasport have perpetuated, like a chinese whisper. Looking at the way some of the 'drivers' on the brands hatch videos are driving i can see why they like heavier steering (but thats a different story).

Also i feel the 6.5 0-60 time of the breadvan is probably a full tank kind of time, where as the 6.5 of the 182 is a seats out, run on fumes kind of time.

lagerlout1
10-05-2005, 13:53
I think the 0-60 of the Civic is similar to the Williams in that it requires 2 gear changes, whereas the Clio will squeeze 64 out of second gear. Also the CTR is supposed to be very tricky to launch. You need a lot of revs to get near the VTEC - too much and you spin, too little and you bog down. (although I never tried, bit difficult with a salesman in with you.lol.)

It was actually EVO that didin't like the 'duff steering' of the CTR, and you seem pretty convinced that these guys know thier onions :wink: . That has very little to do with speed, more driver involvement - Which is one of the reasons why they like the Willy so much.

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 14:05
Evo scmeevo

Jan
10-05-2005, 14:07
Evo scmeevo :lol:

i'm going up to see the evo boys at the end of may for 2 days

lagerlout1
10-05-2005, 14:13
Evo scmeevo

:lol: lol

y0z2a
10-05-2005, 14:35
I have driven a CTR on track - very hard, and it was very competent.

My criticism of it is the steering - through hands on experience, not reading some magazine.

The problem with it is just after the turn in point.

you turn... the car nips in, then you need to be able to feel the balance of the car through the steering, and this is the problem, you just can't judge it to make adjustments.
going over kerbs for instance you need to be able to add a little bit of turn over the norm, you can't feel the car through the steering wheel. Maybe that would come with longer experiences driving the car.

It doesn't have the body roll of the 172 / 182 tho' thats the main advantage.

I have one criticism of that review last night - if you want a quick lap - you don't show boat... The interesting thing was that he took and entirely different line with the 182 over the finish line...

/y0z

Smokey McPot
10-05-2005, 14:37
Stromba what do you mean by Williams beater? the drive or prestige or build quality or what? :)

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 14:41
I can drive my Williams slow. And people still stare. I can park it next to a Ferrari and it still looks good. I can sell it and lose £0 in 2 years of ownership. Plus in the right hands it can live with cars 10 times its price.

It has everything.

Smokey McPot
10-05-2005, 14:42
Ok.

seb182
10-05-2005, 22:06
lol^^^^^^^^^^^^^

big hp
10-05-2005, 22:11
I'll order a mini bus is anyone fancies leaving?

seb182
10-05-2005, 22:15
yeah but certain peoples heads may not be small enough to get through the bus doors...

edde
10-05-2005, 22:44
I cannot belive how this theard started as a 182 vs CTR and ended up saying how much better the Williams is.

Anyway compairing the cars is a little unfair isn't there a £4k or so price difference. If your going ignore price there there are quicker cars than either a Williams, CTR or 182.

I have to say that the Williams and a 172/182 are different cars sure there both Clios but there so different each has there own advantages. If I could only have one car I'd have a 172 (or a Skoda VRS) or even a new 1.2 16V Cio rarther than one complety rebuilt Williams. But I don't and I love the Williams for all that it is but it isn't the last thing in hot hatches some people value other things as well. Before someone ays I'm a luxury living wimp yep I am, so is 5th gear otherwise the'd have stripped the cars out before testing after all any owner can do that fo free so its not cheating.

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 22:51
But the Williams will always be better until i get a different car. Its been proven scientifically that anything i drive is cool. :wink:

y0z2a
11-05-2005, 00:47
But the Williams will always be better until i get a different car. Its been proven scientifically that anything i drive is Uncool. :wink:

i think that you are affecting the market values of everyone elses car - sell up (or have you already?) and get out while the going is good...

;-)

/y0z

PS Williams will start going up in the next 12 months IMO.

NickFr
11-05-2005, 08:59
IMHO....The 182 was driven like he was a boy racer and the Honda was driven like he was trying to make a point...all this talk of how nimble the CTR is....is bollocks, its got a great engine thats revs for ever but, thats where you need to keep it.....this shootout turned into an unintelligent waste of time....frankly for the current prices for CTR and 182...its no contest......buy FRENCH you know it makes sense :wink:

A BLACK one ( for you Jill )

Swervin_Mervin
11-05-2005, 10:21
You'd actually buy a type R I reckon, but the better one. i.e the Teggy.

NickFr
11-05-2005, 10:30
You'd actually buy a type R I reckon, but the better one. i.e the Teggy.

So true....the image is better and so is the Car, don't particularly like either CTR or 182...just my opinion...no hate mail please :wink: