PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best driver?

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 15:52
Who does everyone think are the best drivers on here / Cliosport / Renaultsportsclub?

And by best i mean Fastest, most consistent with the best car control (the kind of driver that could make a 1.2 go quickly round a track). Also perhaps someone who can look after their tyres and put in consistently quick times on long runs, not just one lap wonders.

Andyvalver
09-05-2005, 15:54
Im the best mate. :D

northy
09-05-2005, 15:58
there will be no way of ever knowing mate...unless all drivers drive a identical car that are both new to them for one lap - the time should say whos come out on top.

VIPERONE
09-05-2005, 16:03
well.. im Military evasive driving trained, reaction to contact, Advanced, police class 1.
No points .
never tracked.. would probably die on track.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 17:19
Someone must have an idea. A fast driver would stand out at a track, flying up the inside of other cars and just generally driving around them on corners like they werent moving.

Lunner
09-05-2005, 17:30
if you have ever seen Fred drive from ClioSport he can make that 1.2 ****ing fly.

Remember one night it was me, him and Roamer in his Willaims out and they were having a go wiht this 'modded' VTS, length of d/c between 2 islands, fred was about 1 1/2 car lengths behind after one circuit, when roamer went in his williams he was only about 1 car length infront.

Apparently he did s ****ing fast lap at teh ring...for a 1.2

Also Saner is quick, round the airfield track he was only 1 sec behind me, and i was 12 bhp up

When i last went karting wiht my mates i lapped the entire field and won, and then started last and passed everyone and won, if that counts :lol:

NickFr
09-05-2005, 17:31
Sounds like you are describing Ayrton Senna, not anyone on here :wink: Northy has a point.....level playing field on a track sounds like Mark would win with his experience!

I 'd like to think I drive quite fast generally but never raced properly....probably over do it and crash :oops:

Lunner
09-05-2005, 17:57
WilliamsClio karting championship at FCS? :D

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 18:26
I really have no idea if i can drive or not.

2 live
09-05-2005, 18:30
its a hard question that lol
like northy says tho.only way to tell is to all be in same car for 1st time or with limited knowledge of said car...5-10 min thrash period hehe

but i have run a few other cars up the strip, and equaling , sometimes bettering the owners times....but thats just on the strip, id say on a track theyd know wot their cars capable of better than me

Fred
09-05-2005, 18:49
I'd say either Yozza, Yasser, Jon R

But BenR is the best driver bar none

Fred
09-05-2005, 18:51
If you want to learn to drive, get toa track day, its the only place to learn, if you're scared of going out on track for the first time, then small sprint circuits such as curbrough are excellent,or even airfield days

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 19:03
I dont beleive you have to learn to drive, just as you dont have to learn to kick a football.

Senna probably lapped everyone at the kart ring first time he got in a kart, just as pele probably scored a hatrick first time he kicked a ball.

Driving is about natural talent pure and simple. You can improve, but if you cant catch a slide or left foot brake first time you drive on a circuit, i dont think youll ever be a good driver. I also think that if you can drive a car fast, youll also be able to ride a bike fast and fly a plane well. All the same skills are involved.

J o n
09-05-2005, 19:08
I'd say either Yozza, Yasser, Jon R

But BenR is the best driver bar none

Yup, saw how good a driver Ben was the other day keeping up against the Williams in the Scooby coffin... left foot braking and heel and toe must be a reflex action to the boy... that kid really really can drive and it's even more impressive considering the car he was keeping up with should by all rights handle like a sack of shit! pmsl

Fred
09-05-2005, 19:24
I dont beleive you have to learn to drive, just as you dont have to learn to kick a football.

Senna probably lapped everyone at the kart ring first time he got in a kart, just as pele probably scored a hatrick first time he kicked a ball.

Driving is about natural talent pure and simple. You can improve, but if you cant catch a slide or left foot brake first time you drive on a circuit, i dont think youll ever be a good driver. I also think that if you can drive a car fast, youll also be able to ride a bike fast and fly a plane well. All the same skills are involved.

i see your point, natural talent is certainly a help

but experience is also a must

if a good driver hasn't span or got a line wrong or even crashed in there time, they're either a) not as good as they think b) very lucky c) naturally amazing

Mark_Ritchspeed
09-05-2005, 19:32
Lol . I get my lines wrong all the time, mostly deliberately though. Did laugh, the last time I had instruction at Goodwood. The guy said,"why are you constantly trying to upset the back-end of the car? Have you ever thought of rally driving?" :oops:

NickFr
09-05-2005, 19:49
Natural talent counts for probably 1% of ones ability to perform any manual task like driving. Much is made of it but there is no substitute for practice.. practice..practice.

Unfortuantly the majority of very good drivers come from money or at the very least have access to the raw material...hence Jodie Kidd racing Maseratis....understanding the physics and mechanics can help, but Mansell was a technical ****wit....but very quick....I'm just a ****wit

Mark_Ritchspeed
09-05-2005, 20:02
I kind of agree with the practise thing, but you cant teach someone to"feel" whats happening to a car when its on its limits and know how to react instinctively. I dont know where that comes from, but people like Senna and Schumacher have it in bucket loads.

When you watch some of the less talented drivers in BTCC, I still cant understand how they cant catch the back-end if it goes. As long as they are on the power in a fwd car, there is no way on earth the rear will overtake it. How many times have we seen Yvan Muller catch ludicrous slides without problem?

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 20:23
Schumacher was offered a contract by a professional Swiss football team. Natural talent tends to merge into other areas too.

I remeber when Colin McRea was given the chance to drive a Jordan F1 car. He lapped as fast as the regular test drivers. Martin Brundle said if you can drive, you can drive anything.

I too heard Ben R is a quick driver. But then he has to get where hes going quickly before his engines fall apart.

Zollo
09-05-2005, 20:38
Personally, I think the majority of driver skill, when it comes to speed and control, is natural talent. Sure, you get better with practice and experience, but everyone starts at a different level. Skilled drivers start much higher and it would need a very large amount of practice indeed to get to the same level as some out there.

You can practice, and understand what a car is going to do and when it'll do it, but having the skill and reaction to catch a slide comes more naturally to some.

And I agree with Stromba when he talks about these skills being transferable to slightly different disciplines. Look at Damon Hill, John Sertees, Valantino Rossi; they're all incredibly talented on a bike or in a car. That's definately no coincidence.

For the record, I'm incredibly jealous of anyone with more talent than me :(

VIPERONE
09-05-2005, 21:02
I too heard Ben R is a quick driver. But then he has to get where hes going quickly before his engines fall apart.

LoL

Fred
09-05-2005, 21:04
Schumacher was offered a contract by a professional Swiss football team. Natural talent tends to merge into other areas too.

I remeber when Colin McRea was given the chance to drive a Jordan F1 car. He lapped as fast as the regular test drivers. Martin Brundle said if you can drive, you can drive anything.

What about when Tommi Mak drove an F1 car and crashed on his first lap??

Bit of an unfair commment about Ben

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:08
**** Ben :D

Have a nice day.

Fred
09-05-2005, 21:09
fair enough

lagerlout1
09-05-2005, 21:25

lol. i play Sunday league and i reckon I'd be in with a shout of getting in the Swiss premier.lol.

Did anybody see Tiff Needel on a motorbike?? hahahahahahaah!!!

I agree the same core skills are involved, but there is no way a good car driver could get competetive on a bike (or vice versa) without hours of practice honing those skills to that particular discipline.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 21:34
No seriously mate. A good driver will get on a bike and be able to ride straight off.

Zollo
09-05-2005, 21:44
I agree the same core skills are involved, but there is no way a good car driver could get competetive on a bike (or vice versa) without hours of practice honing those skills to that particular discipline.

The final tenths take a long time, no matter where you come from. But most gifted people would be roughly on the pace straight away.

For instance, Rossi got within 3 seconds of Schumacher's lap record of the Ferrari test track, after just 20 laps! You've either got it, or you haven't.

Obviously not every good driver makes a good biker (or vice versa), but it does seem to be quite often the case.

Enid
09-05-2005, 21:53
You could teach a person to drive fast all day but if he lacks the natural skill he will never be as good as some born with that certain skill. I also think that Natural talent crosses into other areas for example many top footballers are also very good at golf and other sports, it all comes easily to them. Its a bit like IQ, you can't teach someone to be intellegent, they either are clever or their not. Sure they can read books and learn but thats not really a measure of intellegence, your born with it.

lagerlout1
09-05-2005, 22:03
Fair enough. But that only applies to very few, the absolute best. Tiff Needell struggled to pull off when he tested that superbike and ended up binning it iirc.

I suppose some of us are just born with it. :wink:

Slithers
09-05-2005, 22:06
From his CV id say mark ritchspeed, or from my own experience 2 live

summeh
09-05-2005, 22:29
i've never been round a track or had the chance yet, but im always out rallying around the country roads late at night and think i'd do quite well in a competition... its something i'd LOVE to take up as a profession... always been very good when it comes to reflexes etc, with gaming and driving :)

I deffo think its something you're born with. Can be learned to a certain degree but to get ahead i think you have to have a sense about it.

KingStromba
09-05-2005, 22:31
I heard about you and Allan down those dark country lanes. :wink:

summeh
09-05-2005, 22:32
haha yeah awesome fun. :shock:

Mark_Ritchspeed
10-05-2005, 08:55
Thats where I practise. The mountain roads around here are just amazing and only have very light traffic on at most times. At night, there is nothing on them, so you can quite safely run the car at 100+mph on single track lanes.

We even have some roads only 5 miles from here that used to be used for the RAC rally back in the eighties. Complete with hairpins, jumps, watersplashes and cuts through the corners. :D

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 11:02
Thats where I practise. The mountain roads around here are just amazing and only have very light traffic on at most times. At night, there is nothing on them, so you can quite safely run the car at 100+mph on single track lanes.

We even have some roads only 5 miles from here that used to be used for the RAC rally back in the eighties. Complete with hairpins, jumps, watersplashes and cuts through the corners. :D

Try Norfolk mate. We have flat long straight roads full of caravans.

2 live
10-05-2005, 11:44
we jus have loads fukkin steep hills.....with a lot of bends an a few jumps here

Lunner
10-05-2005, 16:04
Lots of lovley country roads round my me, used to 'rally' round them when i ahd the 1.2 at standard height, now its lowered it hits the middle of most of the roads :(

Tommo
10-05-2005, 17:09
It's a hard one to judge this, I think I'm a very competent driver and have won a few karting days (one in the pouring rain, teaches you a lot about driving when you're on slicks) I've got no points (don't ask how, I have no idea cos I'm constantly speeding) and haven't had an accident for 7 years - but I think I'd be very amateurish compared to the likes of Mark etc. on a track day!!

y0z2a
10-05-2005, 19:50
Ben apparently would run rings around everyone - however, not seen this.

Yasser, Leo, Jeremy Townsend, Rod Street, Fred, Davyboy and Jon_rare all very quick. David Knight is also reasonably consistant. Pootle and SpecialK out of the girls.

Without trying to sound like I am taking the piss, rally driving is a lot different to circuit driving, so saying that Marc is the best driver because he's a rally driver is a strange comment to make.

For instance I could say that Rod Street competes in the "whatever" BTCC and because of this he's an excellent rally driver??? big difference, BUT... if you can drive a rally car, you must be pretty damn tasty on the track regardless.

/y0z

y0z2a
10-05-2005, 19:58
Martin Brundle said if you can drive, you can drive anything.

The Award for this weeks most profound statement goes to King Stromba - quoting the most famous formula one driver (in his own garage) Martin Brundle.

;-)

/y0z

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 20:00
Quoting a world sports car champion :roll:

y0z2a
10-05-2005, 20:06
*gives up and goes out to find a spare sense of humour for stromba*

:roll:

/y0z

Mark_Ritchspeed
10-05-2005, 20:59
I dont think I have ever competed against any stiff opposition in the rally car and there are probably lots of Clubman rally drivers out there that are much quicker. The problem is scraping together a budget and car to compete against the big boys, where I would likely get scalped.

As in most motorsports, to find out if your any good takes shit loads of money, which I cant afford. I put aside a very small budget out of the business for track days and rallying as the rest goes straight back into earning money.

At the end of the day, as long as I'm thrashing a car to its limits I'm happy. :D

KingStromba
10-05-2005, 21:01

/y0z

*Goes to find Yazza some pieces of his car from the gravel trap*

clean16v
11-05-2005, 01:12
Rumour has it that Yozza and Fred are shit hot, form my experience though BenR must take it, unbelieveable control of the car, he took my Hybrid out on Saturday with my mate sat in it and my mate was gobsmacked after only being in the car for 2 mins. When i've been in the car the car has been pushed much further past the limits i think its capable of, and if it says anything, his GT4 lap time was like 10 seconds faster then everyone else's on the CS challenge.
9Lives can drive his Willy like no other as well, the strip times talk for themselves, and i've had many a battle down country lanes and his (at the time) slower car ran rings around me! Craggy wasn't too bad either!
And Stromba, you big insecure southern fairy, dont be intimidated by the fact that Ben (or anyone else for that matter) is better then you at certain things. You obviously have complex insecurity issues and feel the need to slate others for no reason apart from the fact that they are BETTER then you at certain things, chin up kid, at least your dick hasn't shrunk through steroid abuse.

Fred
11-05-2005, 01:32
Rumour has it that Yozza and Fred are shit hot, form my experience though BenR must take it, unbelieveable control of the car, he took my Hybrid out on Saturday with my mate sat in it and my mate was gobsmacked after only being in the car for 2 mins. When i've been in the car the car has been pushed much further past the limits i think its capable of, and if it says anything, his GT4 lap time was like 10 seconds faster then everyone else's on the CS challenge.
9Lives can drive his Willy like no other as well, the strip times talk for themselves, and i've had many a battle down country lanes and his (at the time) slower car ran rings around me! Craggy wasn't too bad either!
And Stromba, you big insecure southern fairy, dont be intimidated by the fact that Ben (or anyone else for that matter) is better then you at certain things. You obviously have complex insecurity issues and feel the need to slate others for no reason apart from the fact that they are BETTER then you at certain things, chin up kid, at least your dick hasn't shrunk through steroid abuse.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred
11-05-2005, 01:33

/y0z

*Goes to find Yazza some pieces of his car from the gravel trap*

didn't go near the gravel trap, just the tyre wall!!!

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 01:35
Im sure Ben is a great driver. I heard hes a top notch mechanic too :roll:

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 01:36

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Less laughing please. More colour matching

Fred
11-05-2005, 01:42
at least your honnest Rob!!!!

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 01:46
Dont you have anyone to go and stir up on chavvasport? I hear the 'what does tiff needell know anyway' thread is worth a read :roll:

Fred
11-05-2005, 01:50
Na, too many "Just Cleaned" threads over there!!!

i'm actually very happy the CTR beat the 182, i think they're crap out the box, need a lot of work!

Purple
11-05-2005, 01:57

Ba dum boom! :)

2 live
11-05-2005, 09:10
lol @ this thread......

iv had a few battles..an a lot of close ones wi adi n craggy....cliorossa and freak sax ..... but as a whole ..well out the n/w peeps anyway, id say the standard of driving is very good from evryone......some are a bit madder than others and some would rather live than try to pass the 1 in front lmfao

clean16v
11-05-2005, 09:18
So true Jon! When it comes to whos got the biggest balls in getting in front, you must have the biggest set of guerilla balls in the N/W! I think you're right though, the level was generally quite high with us lot back then, but then the young pups like me and Adi didn't really have a choice following you and Craggy down to York!

2 live
11-05-2005, 09:21
hehe..remember the days well mate.some good tussles hehe

at the end of the day tho i dont think thered be massive differences in between us, maybe a couple seconds per lap on track...which kinda reflects the high level of driver ability in us all......except stromba cos hes never been above 70 mph

J o n
11-05-2005, 09:43
lol @ 2 live and his elephant balls :lol:

out the NW lads Jon and Paul (Kirmanator) are the best i've witnessed, not really seen too much of everyone else's driving to say for sure though. Northy's also a shit hot driver with balls the size of inflatable beach items! hehe

y0z2a
11-05-2005, 10:04
Northy Has Balls????

Wow. you learn something new everyday ;-)

/y0z

NickFr
11-05-2005, 10:06
" Your ego is writing cheques that your body can't cash" famous line from Top Gun....a friend of mine with fantastic reflexes, superb driver in cars and on bikes....still alive( no mean feat ) rated for miles around as the dude.....Now drives a 15yr old VW Polo after totalling every car he has ever owned....the fastest man to the poor house IMHO

Every town I have ever lived in...everyone knows the hardest man in town..but no one has ever seen him fight.....strange but true :?

y0z2a
11-05-2005, 10:09
so true.

/y0z

2 live
11-05-2005, 11:03
lol..the hardest man in town doesnt need to fight tho....usually

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 11:06
Hence the reason i drive so slowly everywhere :wink:

Lunner
11-05-2005, 11:39

big hp
11-05-2005, 12:51

2 live
11-05-2005, 13:45
but the reason the hardest man in town doesnt need to fight is because hes already battered evry hard nut in the vicinity.......whereas u stromba??

i saw u turn right out the airbase at the mag shoot....but that was as far as u got lol

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 13:46
I was still drinking my coke :D

2 live
11-05-2005, 13:56
lol....i was skinnin up with 1 hand whilst holdin the camcorder in the other hand changin the radio station with me left foot n steerin with me teeth

and me right foot planted hehe

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 14:10
I heard saner was caning you anyway john, in a 1.4 :wink:

2 live
11-05-2005, 15:04
lol...i have video evidence to prove otherwise ....but he wasnt angin about lol he nearly binned it a couple of times so i thort id back off n give him some breathing space before he stacked it

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 15:32
Yeah jon, we beleive you. :wink:

northy
11-05-2005, 15:43
lol was a great drive down and back 500miles of doo's, driving a V6, getting sun burnt and having a free lunch...class.

KingStromba
11-05-2005, 15:53
Tom was a good laugh too. :?

2 live
12-05-2005, 09:02
lol

was the first time id driven a vee too.....but it was the nice shiny new blue one not the mk1...dint get too boot it tho :cry:

KingStromba
12-05-2005, 09:05
I had the V all day long at the evo shoot. And after about 2 hours, we got bored of it.