PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt Change and Waterpump - Sucess

106diablogti
04-02-2007, 22:45
Hi ya chaps got my car back from my friends place (Authorised Renault Garage)

He fitted a new cambelt, water pump and did an oil change.

Pic of car half way :D
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/500/medium/Williams.jpg

He said the water pump was a pain in the backside to work on.

1 thing he noticed was that the plug which connects to the radiator to control the electric fan had broken, 1 wire has corroded badly. can i get a new plug and solder it on?

Another thing is the steering, he noticed there is play with the wheel, i noticed this. I know that there is a common fault with the steering column, Is there an easy way to find out if its that?

Thanks

Rich

MatBrown
04-02-2007, 22:56
1 thing he noticed was that the plug which connects to the radiator to control the electric fan had broken, 1 wire has corroded badly. can i get a new plug and solder it on?

Another thing is the steering, he noticed there is play with the wheel, i noticed this. I know that there is a common fault with the steering column, Is there an easy way to find out if its that?

Thanks

Rich

Fan wiring is a very common problem, had to fix loads now, if you can lay your hands on a loom with a good plug (any scrappys near you?) you can solder this in place.

When you say play with the wheel do you mean road wheel or steering wheel?
If you mean steering wheel then the column needs sorting, if its the road wheel it could be the rack or ends.

Mat.

106diablogti
04-02-2007, 23:07
Thanks for the quick response Mat.

The play is at the steering wheel. Is this easy to identify by looking?

Is access to solder the plug lead easy? Is it only a 16v or williams lead i can use?

Coops
04-02-2007, 23:10
plug is akward to get to but if u can wiggle the rad forwards a bit shud be fine. u'll need the correct plug or simply use a couple of spade connectors from motorfactors.

play in steering is usually universal joint at base of steering column, inside the car lift big rubber boot at base of the column just before it goes through bulkhead. under there will be the joint. to check it hold the column below that joint and wiggle steering wheel. if the wheel moves and the column below doesnt then its fubared. so either get the joint welded solid (cheap fix and fine, i have welded column on mine) or go mad and buy a shiny new column!

northy
04-02-2007, 23:17
ive done the old cut and solder trick...but on mine i soldered bullet connections on so mine is now removable.

106diablogti
04-02-2007, 23:19
I don't think that approach would work on mine as the wire has corroded right at the base of the plug. Spade connectors sound like a quick fix until i can get a lead though : )

Thanks for all the advice