PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first Clio Williams! (3)

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 16:26
Just got home after a mornings travelling to pick up my first clio williams! woohooo! haha had a good drive home, its quite at home cruising on the motorway which surprised me! i had seen the car loads and got all the information on it, full service history, stacks of receipts, well loved and cared for and in good condition. There were a few extra marks i wasnt expecting but its nothing too bad and is reflected in the price i paid.

Car spec:
N-Reg Williams 3,
116k miles with full comprehensive history, service book + receipts to prove,
full stainless mongoose exhaust with de-cat pipe,
lowered 60mm suspension set up (not sure if i like this?!)
Ram Air induction kit,
cd player,
new Tarox Sport Japans front discs,
Full 12months MOT 6 months tax with a fresh service.
Toyo Proxes - 195/45/15

negatives:
slight bubbling on the arches,
none standard williams wheels,
usual car parking dings,
no air box.

Ok i will get some pics to put up asap when ive cleaned it, i just had a few questions first.... (please bare with me :lol: )

1. Ok when starting the car all of the lights and gauges work, oil pressure, oil temp, oil level etc... however, once the car has started for a little while the oil level indicator gauge simply drops to 0 and stops working. is this normal? i guess it could be due to the changing levels of oil in the sump, the other 2 are fine and work great. Also on the same subject, what oil pressure should i be reading when upto running temp?

2. The drivers door has slightly dropped by a mm or 2, is this easily sorted? nothing major but just annoying when you shut it! lol

3. There is a squeek from the drivers front wheel, only comes when moving, definately not the bearings as its more of a 'catching' squeek, maybe the pads not worn in properlly and catching the disc as its been standing for a week or 2?

4. The handling feels really light and a touch vague, i know it has PAS but it just seems a tad 'feelingless. i know there are issues with the steering column having play in them, but it does feel tight, just a little light and vague. fluid level? fluid brand? anything to check?

5. when starting the car, the engine seems to 'rock' which to me would suggest the engine mounts, but it doesnt do it at any other time, not when changing down and booting it, not when accellerating or 'dropping the hammer' lol only on start up. is this due to the lack of a 4th mount or could it be a defective gearbox mount?

6. what paint code is the 3? 449?

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 16:49
cheers gaz! thanks for all the advice and help via msn too.

Northy, wheres good to get the arches done in our area? rough price? pm me if you like 8)

Anyone rune uprated brake fluid? do the braided lines make any difference? any suggestions on pads? how can i check the steering column for play? anyone going to oulton next sat wana earn some do a fellow club member a favour and give it the once over for me? you can stay at my gaf on friday night if you wanted as a favour! especially if your female lol

Smudger
04-02-2007, 16:57
just out of interest did you used to own an xr2i??

just i swear i spoke to a bloke on the ford forums with the same user name as you

probably not tho

williams sounds nice tho mate

Jamie.
04-02-2007, 17:04
contratulations, im sure you will enjoy it.

northy
04-02-2007, 18:39
congtratulations....make sure you come find me at oulton !

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 18:39
@Smudger - yeah i did, white one with zetec rear bumper, rs bonnet, loved that car! haha i use the same user name on all the forums im on, makes it less confusing for me to remember my log in details! haha

i've taken some pics and just uploading to photo bucket as we speak! 8)

2 live
04-02-2007, 18:43
congrats on the new purchase mate...im sure there wil b a few willing to have a look over at oulton.

and yes.the braided lines and decent fluid do make quite a diff.

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:03
hi 2live, i believe you are a local lad to warrington? is this true? if so where abouts?

there was one thing i didnt mention, the clutch pedal appears to be rather heavy! used to nice light evo clutchs i know but still, its a beast! only beaten by the accellerator pedal! this is whats really doing my nut in, its impossible to get good throttle control as the pedal is so heavy! also takes a second or so to 'spring back' when you take your foot off. im presuming this can easily be adjusted? any suggestions?

@2live - what fluid do you reccommend or use?

richy
04-02-2007, 19:08
hello and welcome!

a new clutch should sort the heavy clutch pedal out mate, be worth sticking a new cable on too

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:10
Pics!:

Now before you say anything, yes i know the front bumper and bonnet wants painting and i know they arent original alloys, im working on it! only had it 3 hours! haha

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/04022007186.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/04022007182.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/04022007181.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/04022007183.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/04022007184.jpg[/img]

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:11
forgot to say, its had a brand new clutch fitted when the gearbox was rebuilt less than 600miles ago so it cant be that. can the actual pedal box be adjusted? i can live with the clutch its the accellerator i really want to sort

richy
04-02-2007, 19:13
the pedal has a ratchet mechanism but it should set itself up, unless its badly worn , or its got a uprated clutch of somesort!

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:16
yeah i was thinking that, as its kind of 'on or off' which smacks of an uprated clutch. ok so i can live with that, what about the gas pedal? any ideas? its proper heavy, wd40 on the mechanism joints ?

FATBOY
04-02-2007, 19:19
congrats! u will be pleased with it once its all done! going to be changing her back to original??? what bumper is that on it at the mo???

richy
04-02-2007, 19:19
a new accel cable mate, best option!

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:23
@fatboy - errr standard...... i hope! haha

@rich- cheers i will look into it, could it be anything else? is that an easy job? expensive?

richy
04-02-2007, 19:25
very much doubt its anything else, 9 out of 10 times the accel cable is seized/partially seized! easy to change too!

2 live
04-02-2007, 19:36
well.not really warrington mate....near rochdale .

and yeah id go with an acc cable.£15 or so from reno,

has it got a heat shield on the bulkhead??? if not the zorst could be startin to heat the plastic inners to the cables on acc and clutch. as rich says tho a new cable wont go amiss.

the acc cable can be a bit tricky but is doable in 10 mins or so.

Smudger
04-02-2007, 19:36
@Smudger - yeah i did, white one with zetec rear bumper, rs bonnet, loved that car! haha i use the same user name on all the forums im on, makes it less confusing for me to remember my log in details! haha

i think i was gonna buy it off you at one point mate!

what a small world!

Smudger
04-02-2007, 19:37

actually i think you was looking at buying mine aswell?!?!

i could be wrong tho was a year ago

2 live
04-02-2007, 19:39
btw..i run dot 4 castrol fluid, braided lines, std discs n ferodo pads in std calipers...well impressive tbh....dunno how hard gaz/flan were brakin at oulton, but id say this setup was matching the 4 pots lap after lap.

northy
04-02-2007, 19:39
dont supposed the reg plate ends in ORG ??

http://images9.fotki.com/v186/photos/4/452395/2243024/FCS039-vi.jpg

Thats the only williams 3 i know that has ever had wheels on like that ?????

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:41
@smudger - small world! lol what did you have for sale? what forum too?

@2live - rochdale? you have my commiserations haha joking :wink:
it does have a heat shield on the bulk head yes although as per usual its not in tip top shape, could be a contributer i suppose? does the cable come with the outer plastic sheath? or is it a wire that you have to wrap? To be honest ive never done one so i may get a friend to do it or someone on here for a bacon buttie :roll: haha

richy
04-02-2007, 19:44
it comes complete mate, all you need to do is fit it!

2 live
04-02-2007, 19:45
comes complete mate...inner and outer cable.

and i said near rochdale lol.....altho fortunatelyy....also far enough away lol. tis kinda like.....royston vasey where i live.only we DO burn em ;)

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:54
haha loving the forum banter, just what everyone needs on a sunday!

heat shield and manifold - is this standard?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/04022007180.jpg

northy
04-02-2007, 19:57
yep....but its due for replacing - this was my new one back in 2004 !

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/northy_com/DSCN0893.jpg

New ones are £50 from renault !

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 19:58
ahhhhh the wonders of kitchen foil :lol:

Martin
04-02-2007, 20:20
Welcome fella I'd recommend ditching the road scraping suspension for some standard stuff...although if you are going to be doing a lot of track days some high spec coilovers might be worth a look. Although in my experience you can't beat the stnd setup for compramise between fun, pace and road useability (is that a word lol).

Keep those wheel for track and you can pick up some 2nd hand williams wheels for 150-200 quid....

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 20:21
is it a difficu job to fit standard springs and then have the rear torsion bar changed accordingly? pricey?

Martin
04-02-2007, 20:24
Someone on here will be able to adjust the torsion bar for a few notes....the stnd spring & shocks are circa 200-250 new from renault I believe. So it won't break the bank...

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 20:26
cant it be done with a second hand set up? £250-300 notes for springs, some moola to get the torsion bar done, and its almost coilover territory! lol

Justin..
04-02-2007, 20:30
buy some battered coilovers and get them refurbed. tis what i did for a grand total of £160

Martin
04-02-2007, 20:31
Can be sure....depends if you want to sample a williams as renault intended or a worn setup. I'd try to sample a good standard setup before I went bollock deep in coilover buying...I know from experience. :wink:

Martin
04-02-2007, 20:32
Oh you can buy some gaz coilovers off me cheap if you want.....I want to go back to standard.

drsmith1979
04-02-2007, 20:35
haha you set that one up well martin! haha

how much and what condition?

2 live
04-02-2007, 20:54
lol..personally id say the opposite.....the williams handles well in std trim. but i hate the way it leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaans.

coilovers evry day of the week for me... i have 1 williams of each outside...one std the other coiled..an the coiled ride is so much more to my liking.

drsmith1979
06-02-2007, 09:07
ok so my verdict after a few days use:

Exhaust - sounds great from outside! but too dam loud inside! i must be getting old haha.
suspension - firm and low, too low to get my trolley jack under! but handles well.
engine - revs great, good low down power, but superb mid range pick up! love the 3rd and 4th gear wheel spin on high revs! haha
Bodywork - a few more blemishes on the car than i first thought, but nothing overly bad, good really when considering its 10 years old and some of the ones i went to look at where totally minging!
tyres - the 195/45/15's give lots of grip, this coupled with the firm suspension gives it great handling and makes it feel very sure footed with hardly any body roll, coilover like feel.
interior - love the interior, however, i do have one gripe, the car is fitted with a gear lever multilock which is permanently fitted to the car, means its difficult to pull the passenger seat up to get people in the back. anyone know how i can get it off? i will need a replacement centre console surround and gaitor as they were modified to fit it. going with Raid Snap off instead.
All round performance - was a little disappointed at first having come from an Evo, but the car drives totally different, so after a couple of days use i have come to know the personality of the car better and so can get more from it. impressed with its turn in ability and sure footedness, performance too is impressive even in straight line speed form. all in all i am very impressed with the car, especially so when considering what i paid for it. I will be starting the modding asap, hopefully with a gunnerchip if i can find anyone in the north west to fit it for me? any members got any advice? anyone want to do it for some cash in hand? getting the car thoroughly checked on wednesday at my mates garage, goign to secure the exhaust as it can occasionally vibrate on its mounts so a few cable ties no doubt! squeaky front drivers side pads too so hopefully that will be sorted! get a little bit of body work done and 'piff paff pooof' it will be super again! :D

Laine_16v
06-02-2007, 10:23
dont supposed the reg plate ends in ORG ??

http://images9.fotki.com/v186/photos/4/452395/2243024/FCS039-vi.jpg

Thats the only williams 3 i know that has ever had wheels on like that ?????

My number plate ends with ORG but its a valver!

dan 16v
06-02-2007, 12:38
I remember seeing this Williams for sale somewhere.

Glad u like the car :) I so wish i waited and got a williams instead of my low miles valver :(

drsmith1979
06-02-2007, 14:53
yeah i know what you mean, the difference in price now is getting smaller too so it can pay to be patient and pick up a good example for a very good price!

POWARTEK
07-02-2007, 03:08
Great looking car there david. 8)

drsmith1979
07-02-2007, 08:57
cheers powartek 8) lol

northy
07-02-2007, 11:10
The multilock can be removed....i removed mine !

drsmith1979
07-02-2007, 11:31
are they factory fitted then? did you bother replacing your centre console? obviously its going to have a rather large hole in it due to the fixing points! are the centre consoles the same across the whole clio range or is it specific to the williams? anyone fitted a 'Radi Snap Off' boss kit? look Uber cool lol

drsmith1979
07-02-2007, 11:40
oh there are a few more questions i have......

......how can i tell if my PAS is working? it seems just like my xr2i which is obviously non PAS, granted my car has been lowered circa 60mm so its going to affect it a little, but even so it still feels tough and i cant whip it round with my little finger etc.... is there an easy way to check?

also, the speedometer side of the dash isnt illuminated very well and looks like one of the led's or bulbs has gone. bit of a bummer at night as i cant see what speed im going! lol any remedies? easy etc?

ordered my Gunner chip so my first mod will hopefully be done in the next week or so! wooohooo

northy
07-02-2007, 18:16
are they factory fitted then? did you bother replacing your centre console? obviously its going to have a rather large hole in it due to the fixing points! are the centre consoles the same across the whole clio range or is it specific to the williams? anyone fitted a 'Radi Snap Off' boss kit? look Uber cool lol

There were a offer on by Minories Renault (the dealership) when the cars were first registered...I removed mine as it foulded the passenger seat when you tilited it.

You need to cut the old studs out and then weld the holes up...a new centre console is also needed. Make sure the replacement has heater vents in the sides