PDA

View Full Version : supercharging a clio

david932
31-01-2007, 20:44
anyone heard of/owned/know anything about/or have any engine bay pics of a supercharged clio williams or 16v?

Winston
31-01-2007, 20:50
There are 1 or 2

Ive just got this pic of the supercharged Dimma that was on ebay

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/76ball/Dope%20Shizz/25_1.jpg

Daz.
31-01-2007, 21:52
This is the mod over all mods I would love to do but the fact it doesn't seem very popular makes you think it would be expensive.. plus if like me your not the best under a bonnet whos gonna look after it locally?

Coops
31-01-2007, 23:16
This is the mod over all mods I would love to do but the fact it doesn't seem very popular makes you think it would be expensive.. plus if like me your not the best under a bonnet whos gonna look after it locally?

who ever minds the local G40/G60 fraternity, sure they'd cope if not relish a new engine to tinker with! 8)

Daz.
31-01-2007, 23:52
good point! small bay big fat supercharger - they'll love it 8)

BenR
01-02-2007, 00:07
The act of supercharging is not hard, its just that nobody is willing to stump up the money from the off.

A GOOD charger will set you back £1000-1200 from the off. An ebay minicharger wont cut it for £200, 230bhp is just pointless.

Management, fueling, chassis and belt drive mods etc will all cost a large amount........add labour aswell.

£6k for a proper setup which wont need maintanence.

2 live
01-02-2007, 09:45
all cars need maintenance mate no matter wot spec they runnin.......and no matter who built them.

BenR
01-02-2007, 13:27
christ, i mean constant checking on belts and management.

Oils, filters and general sundries.

Lets not nit pick on the most basic assumptions, i was merely trying to point out that its uber expensive for a decent conversion.

J o n
01-02-2007, 13:32
my rents have just bought some ghey ass charged Merc thingy... sounds like a friggin hair dryer... utter pants!

2 live
01-02-2007, 13:59
christ, i mean constant checking on belts and management.

Oils, filters and general sundries.

Lets not nit pick on the most basic assumptions, i was merely trying to point out that its uber expensive for a decent conversion.

and i was merely pointing out that some 1/2 wit could read ur post.......spend 000's with u doin the conv......then be sueing ur ass cos it broke after 30k miles cos its never had an oil change or fuk all.

BenR
01-02-2007, 14:09
impossible.

david932
01-02-2007, 18:03
:lol: i was actually thinking of a mini cooper s charger

i spoke to a place that provides charger kits and they mentioned you could run a low boost intercooled charger on standard internals is this true?

and if it is would a remappable chip be adequate or would you need a standalone for this setup

labour would be done by me and i'ds be very happy with 230bhp :D

darrenm1eqn
01-02-2007, 18:58
Heres a pic of one

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p47/darrenm1eqn/renaultvolumetricokit.jpg

Allan
11-02-2007, 17:04
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Cooper-S-Super-charger_W0QQitemZ190081978407QQihZ009QQcategoryZ72 205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphoto hosting

Allan
11-02-2007, 17:06
is it just driven off the same belt as the alternator ?

Justin..
11-02-2007, 17:21
yeah. but there no room for that!!! :shock:

stan
11-02-2007, 17:36
As with turbocharging..theres the right way which works WELL and provides consistent and reliable power...then there's the cheap way, which may work but is far from ideal.

as always, you pays your money.......

The above picture is the latter.

MAXIBOY
12-02-2007, 00:43
theres one for sale but it a dimma 5500

Scougar
26-02-2007, 12:16
I don't see what is so hard about turbocharging personally. The only problems really are matching components correctly (i.e. don't slap on a massive turbo on a small volume engine + correct cams, and making sure you have the management done properly.

Only other things to consider are
1) use high capacity oil pump to ensure that enough oil goes through the turbo to keep it cool/lubed without coking up the oil.
2) Matched injectors
3) Engine rebuild using low compression engine.
4) A reliable gearbox that can take the torque developed by the turbo (which I suspect costs uber amounts, prob more than the engine to get a reliable one).

You only really need to buy the manifold for the turbo conversion (well you could get one made up), the other stuff you don't need. Spend wisely and get it properly mapped, starting off by over fueling. Then do an oil change as it will have contaminated your oil with excess fuel.

Supercharging is more difficult ONLY because it relies on belts/pulleys to get the boost, which is harder to match to the car. Getting a cheap supercharger from ebay is like getting a fake Garrett turbo off ebay from XS POWER (Never buy anything from that company), it will most likely be unreliable.

Even the mini 850 in the 1960's had a supercharger made for it by a company called Shorrock. It made the mini like it had a 2L in it lol.

I would say if your thinking about a forced air conversion of any sort, then make sure you have the funds, don't attempt it on a shoe string, unless you have a spare car. There are drawbacks to a turbo'd car over N/A so fully research in advance, and good luck.

And before anyone tries to say "your wrong about this and that", I have already turbo'd an N/A A-Series engine with success.

Matthew

darrenm1eqn
26-02-2007, 17:04
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p47/darrenm1eqn/Misc/renaultvolumetricokit.jpg

Another clio supercharger

Scougar
26-02-2007, 17:48
What charger is that?

(I always wonder why the price of SC's is so high considering the low revolutions and a design that has been used on many many engines (even ship engines) for many many years).

Matthew

MAXIBOY
26-02-2007, 17:56
[quote="Scougar"]
4) A reliable gearbox that can take the torque developed by the turbo (which I suspect costs uber amounts, prob more than the engine to get a reliable one).

your having a laff. yet to be developed. even the six grand boxes seam to be unreliable with over 250bhp. mine touch wood has been ok so far.

stan
26-02-2007, 18:01
I have already turbo'd an N/A A-Series engine with success.

Matthew

Thats the main problem...people "converting" from an engine designed to run at atmospheric pressure, to one which has + atmos pressure.

doing it properly isnt converting...its designing to be that way...as an eg this means revising crown and chamber design to reduce Cr whilst retainign decent squish...NOT fitting a spacer/thicker head gasket....or randomly skimming pistons.

There are lots of design constraints and considerations...far more than most people care to acklowledge or understand.

Winston
26-02-2007, 18:09
Charged F3P

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/76ball/Euro/normal_dortmund-51.jpg

Scougar
26-02-2007, 21:01
Thats the main problem...people "converting" from an engine designed to run at atmospheric pressure, to one which has + atmos pressure.

doing it properly isnt converting...its designing to be that way...as an eg this means revising crown and chamber design to reduce Cr whilst retainign decent squish...NOT fitting a spacer/thicker head gasket....or randomly skimming pistons.

There are lots of design constraints and considerations...far more than most people care to acklowledge or understand.

I do realise that :) I was pointing it out so people don't think I'm talking complete bull. I understand the the likely life span of any n/a engine running 9.65:1 compression ratio and 7psi is likely to be very short. I also understand that using the correct cams, dizzy (Especially important for retarding the advance appropriately) etc must be used.

I would never recommend charging a non-charge designed engine because a most of the time the piston rods etc are not designed to take the additional pressure/stress/heat from forced induction not to mention the higher compression ratio.

Matthew
p.s. did you know that diesel are commonly about 22psi compression ratio, and THEN they decided to turbo them! lol Just goes to show how much better the tolerances are on diesels.

stan
26-02-2007, 22:48
whats tolerances got to do with it??

Most std rods are good for alot of cylpressure/torque...its RPM that kills rods.

The reason diesel engines can and do run whomping cylinder pressure, and so produce massive torque output, is because the fuel isnt knock limited. Consequently internal components need to be stronger.

The old AER Le Mans 2.0 engines were Cr= 12.5:1 and ran 2.5bar of boost...just goes to show when its done properly, these parameters arent a problem.

as for dizzy...we have ECU's to control ign/fuelling lol.

Chris H
27-02-2007, 00:41
larry widmers dragsters of 20 years ago were running staggered cr's from 16 - 25:1 then the charger ramming in air as well.

A 10:1 cr road car with 7 PSi boost when done correctly will produce long lasting reliable power and have good transient response.

This as Craig pointed out is of no relevance.

All out power is dependant on thermal efficiency and mechanical strength, things like engine capacity, lifspan etc are irrelevant.

Forced induction I would limit to turbos as its a damn sight easier and cheaper, chargers to look right start to require nice bracketry, depending on charger and what form of charge cooling if any is used power can be quite restrictive.

Like Ben said no one is willing to put their hand in their pocket to get it done properly

Winston that charged megane induction tract is nasty! Any specs on it though?

Winston
27-02-2007, 01:20
No specs

Think it was in this

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/76ball/Euro/normal_dortmund-29.jpg

Winston
27-02-2007, 01:22
Derp :oops:

Deffo a megane looking at it lol

EDIT BUTTON :evil:

Scougar
27-02-2007, 12:28
I just wrote a lot of stuff for you stan, but after writing it, it was a go at you. I rewrote it hopefully more structured and more polite.

TOLERANCE. Are you saying tolerance doesn't matter? I wouldn't like an engine built by you. I guess you wouldn't/don't use calibrated instruments for engine building because tolerance isn't important/has nothing to do with it?

PRESSURE. Causes heat, causes det, causes problems. And i would still never recommend to anyone wanting a reliable engine to run a high C/R and high boost because 7psi is still pretty high on a N/A engine. Plus other components are designed to take the abrupt torque developed by a turbo.

RPM. Yes rpm is a killer which I entirely agree, which is why tolerances are important to get right, as poor tolerance is magnified higher up the rev range. Abrupt force (read: mechanical shock/poorly controlled revolutions) is the killer normally, but can be from things like oil starvation as well.

DIESEL. It is compressed to a very high C/R because it NEEDS to be to get a good burn, not because of knock. I brought up diesels purely as a p.s. Please lets not get into a debate about what can be acheived on a diesel engine, as it was only to say that they run 22psi (ish) and THEN run a turbo. It was a point of interest nothing more :)

OTHER. Other things to consider are cool fuel being injected can cause thermal shock to hot components in the engine. Airrated oil from an engine not designed to cope with higher revs can cause problems.

DIZZY/ECU. Please tell me what you know about the distributors ignition curve on a metro turbo a-series engine. Thanks to WilliamsClio peeps, I now know that the dizzy position does not effect the renaults, but it was an illustration of importance of picking the right parts. So quite frankly, why did you take the piss?

At the end of this, I am here to attain more knowledge about the clio and hopefully give something back to the club. I am not here to try and show how much of an arrogant prat I am, or how much I know. I don't know everything and can never know everything, just like you Stan. I like to learn, and get better, not try and rip apart peoples discussions.

I'm sure I have rewritten and put a few things wrong because I rushed it at work. Please let me know what charged systems you have built and run personally.

A bit peeved and probably misdirected frustation at Stan,
Matthew

stan
27-02-2007, 12:41
Matthew
p.s. did you know that diesel are commonly about 22psi compression ratio, and THEN they decided to turbo them! lol Just goes to show how much better the tolerances are on diesels.

I was reffering to this...explain it.

Im fully aware of tolerancing now you have explained it thanks...cheers for your input of your obvious and vast knowledge into the club.

now, wheres my ruler...ive got some piston rings to gap.

Scougar
27-02-2007, 13:01
As standard, tolerances on Diesels HAVE TO BE better in order to run reliably. Why would you disagree? What more do I need to say? I think you are coming at this comment of mine from a race engine angle. If petrol was able to be compressed to 22psi without exploding due to the pressure, then petrol engines would NEED to be better built to withstand the pressure day in, day out.

Could you answer some of my questions/points please you sacastic git? :lol: :wink:

Matthew

Scougar
27-02-2007, 13:27
(and since I can't edit *sigh*)
I am under the impression that you build engines, so I don't take what you know lightly.

I messaged you on cliosport about a rebuild as well (if your the same stan) and you never got back to me :( Will you need a some string to make sure you're using the right piston size? (just kidding ;) )

Matthew

stan
27-02-2007, 13:41
I just wrote a lot of stuff for you stan, but after writing it, it was a go at you. I rewrote it hopefully more structured and more
polite.

Ok, thanks
TOLERANCE. Are you saying tolerance doesn't matter? I wouldn't like an engine built by you. I guess you wouldn't/don't use calibrated instruments for engine building because tolerance isn't important/has nothing to do with it?

what do you want, pictures of my engine building kit?
I dont recall once saying tolerancing isnt important...you seem to have a misunderstanding somewhere.

PRESSURE. Causes heat, causes det, causes problems. And i would still never recommend to anyone wanting a reliable engine to run a high C/R and high boost because 7psi is still pretty high on a N/A engine. Plus other components are designed to take the abrupt torque developed by a turbo.

good job you arent a development engineer for a race team then, if you work to those tiny figures lol.

you need to get away from thinking of a turbo engine as NA plus pressure...it isnt...but thinking like this is likely why you have experienced the associated heat problems you have outlined here. No doubt 7psi on 10:1Cr can cause problems if you havnt done it right.

RPM. Yes rpm is a killer which I entirely agree, which is why tolerances are important to get right, as poor tolerance is magnified higher up the rev range. Abrupt force (read: mechanical shock/poorly controlled revolutions) is the killer normally, but can be from things like oil starvation as well.

high rpm give increased inertia forces on the rod, leading to fatigure failure...but yes..in any case tolerances should be spot on. dont know wjhat poorly controled revoloutions are/mean sorry

DIESEL. It is compressed to a very high C/R because it NEEDS to be to get a good burn, not because of knock. I brought up diesels purely as a p.s. Please lets not get into a debate about what can be acheived on a diesel engine, as it was only to say that they run 22psi (ish) and THEN run a turbo. It was a point of interest nothing more :)

again you are seeing compression ratio and inlet pressure as to opposing entities...they arent, and dont have to be. get it right, and the end result is excellent and controlled cylinder pressure which yield impressive torque output.

OTHER. Other things to consider are cool fuel being injected can cause thermal shock to hot components in the engine. Airrated oil from an engine not designed to cope with higher revs can cause problems.

I suppose you think a knife edge crank would solve this oil mist problem?

Fuel which is injected in the inlet (whether it be head or manifold) will be mostly vapour by the time it reaches any mechanical component.

DIZZY/ECU. Please tell me what you know about the distributors ignition curve on a metro turbo a-series engine. Thanks to WilliamsClio peeps, I now know that the dizzy position does not effect the renaults, but it was an illustration of importance of picking the right parts. So quite frankly, why did you take the piss?

the distrubutor could on the renault engines be used to give a bit of variation...if you ****ed about with mounting points...alot of dwell on rotor arm tho, so not much poiunt there either.
Ive never, nor would, work on a a metro...A series or otherwise. :D

At the end of this, I am here to attain more knowledge about the clio and hopefully give something back to the club. I am not here to try and show how much of an arrogant prat I am, or how much I know. I don't know everything and can never know everything, just like you Stan. I like to learn, and get better, not try and rip apart peoples discussions.

I'm sure I have rewritten and put a few things wrong because I rushed it at work. Please let me know what charged systems you have built and run personally.

built quite a few v6 twin turbo units for Nobles, to various specs, at my old work. Had a fiddle with the boost set-up on a couple of supercharged Ariel Atoms also. Havnt done any for customers since setting up on my own. My personal builds have all been NA (more skill required).

A bit peeved and probably misdirected frustation at Stan,
Matthew

RE tolerancing:

A 1.8 16v boggo std engine can be toleranced to the same degree as a 750N.M 2.0 turbo diesel, the same as a 350N.M 2.0 turbo petrol engine.
Maybe tolerancing isnt what you mean??

I pm'd u on clisosport about 1/2 hour ago i think.

stan
27-02-2007, 14:01
and the reason I havnt built any for customers is because non are willing to pay the price for a proper job. Ive turned down lots of enquiries from customers who want "turbo conversions"...but as above..its not the right way.

Scougar
27-02-2007, 14:14
I like to get things on the cheap, but something like an engine you can't skimp on really. metal on metal... i'd rather pay for a decent job once than 3 rebuilds because of a shoddy job the first time. Shame more peeps have taken you up on your offer.

By tolerance, I mean how well machined the components are and how narrow that margin can be before it becomes unacceptable. Perhaps I was getting a bit wound up, and extending that 'tolerance' level to use with setting up of components, although I am under the impression that diesels have that narrower margin of error? (please correct me if I am wrong.

Just going through now and reading your answers (thanks :))

Matthew

stan
27-02-2007, 14:34
dont sweat it..its no biggy mate lol

Scougar
27-02-2007, 17:04
Sorry for reply delay, servers went down at work lol.

Noticed a mistake of mine.. kept saying 22psi instead of 22:1 C/R, hence the answer I got from you on the diesels :oops:

I am not thinking of Turbo engine as N/A plus pressure though. You can run high C/R and higher boost levels, and it has been done, and this is how some A-series turbo mine/metro owners/builders prefer to run, but with lower boost levels. I use the figures as examples (i.e. 5-10psi is pretty much standard on most production vehicles, I was personally running 17.5 psi (about 1.2 bar) on my SR20DET. Surely by increases the amount of air/fuel you are 'effectively' increasing the compression ratio though (i know that is slightly wrong, but you are compressing more air/vapour into the same space). Can you please explain this slightly more?

At the time (many years ago), running 7 psi on my metro though I thought turbos were this dark art and at the time spending £300-£500 for mapping seemed crazy on a £400 car. Oh how now I have learned.

I haven't experienced heat problems, I have always tried to tune 'safely' as a new engine is expensive. I will leave the finer tuning to the guys (like you) who know how to use the expensive tuning equipment. On my last engine, I added everything needed to keep the engine components cool. I think a big part here is that I don't live near a track to use, so I don't get a huge amount of heat soak. I would be very wary of tracking any car that hadn't been professionally tuned/mapped first.

The comment on 'poorly controlled' : Things such as weak springs contributing to valve bounce, and hydraulic lifters that can't cope with higher revs.

Thermal shock is a problem for Lotus/Rover on the K-series engine. I think it's somewhere above 7.5k and the fuel going in cools the pistons or cylinder (can't remember which one in particular) too much, given the extra heat generated at the higher revs.

Knife edge crank? Far as I know that only reduces the rotating mass and decreases inertia (reduces fuel econ on steady run though), so not sure why it would help stop airation of the oil. I know some porsche engines have massive problems with oil airation at higher revs (taken directly from an engine builder (ex-f1 team guy) on SXOC) though, so that's obviously not an easy issue if Porsche struggle to get results! That's getting into territory of main straps are good for stability but bad for power argument areas that i just don't have the knowledge about.

Thanks for the answers, it has opened my eyes in certain respects 8)

Popping over to Cliosport to check the PM :)

Matthew

stan
27-02-2007, 20:00
You can run high C/R and higher boost levels, and it has been done,

Make your mind up lol, youve just been ranting as if they are mutually exclusive!

:D

Stoker Willi 1 303
27-02-2007, 21:26
very interesting lads keep on with the tech talk i'm learning here!! :lol:
both of you seem to know your stuff but i am gonna stick with stan he jus seems to have the edge :P
might get my hi comp forged pistons at a lower price :oops:

stan you have p.m {2min}

BenR
27-02-2007, 23:46
'the edge' lol.

BenR
27-02-2007, 23:48
As standard, tolerances on Diesels HAVE TO BE better in order to run reliably. Why would you disagree? What more do I need to say? I think you are coming at this comment of mine from a race engine angle. If petrol was able to be compressed to 22psi without exploding due to the pressure, then petrol engines would NEED to be better built to withstand the pressure day in, day out.

Could you answer some of my questions/points please you sacastic git? :lol: :wink:

Matthew

Better tell every injector, fuel pump manufacturer in the world.....one big explosion waiting to happen.

Scougar
28-02-2007, 00:10
You can run high C/R and higher boost levels, and it has been done,

Make your mind up lol, youve just been ranting as if they are mutually exclusive!

:D

hehe... I'm saying it can be done, but for a road car it will be very expensive and if not done right unreliable, IMO. i.e. don't slap a super/turbo charger on a N/A engine and expect it not to blow up 10 miles or 10k miles down the line. I never said you couldn't, I suggest that it isn't sensible for 99% of people. (You may try and use the example figure of 99% in another quote :roll:

Most things are achievable (such as a friend running 20psi on a stock mini 850cc engine that are known to have chocolate pistons), just whether or not it will last without serious investment is a completely different matter. (mini bonnet, rather large dent.. lots of oil).

The actual "it can be done" I was referring to was a guy running 10.5:1 C/R and 4 psi on a T2 turbo (1.3 a-series engine) and was happy running it that way.

How much would it cost to get a 1.8 16v engine running at 12.5:1 compression ratio and say 1.5 bar to run reliably then? [Assume : Reliably = everyday use to work and for pleasure and the weekend fun drives, and at least 50k miles expected].

Matthew

Scougar
28-02-2007, 00:16

Matthew

Better tell every injector, fuel pump manufacturer in the world.....one big explosion waiting to happen.

If you read correctly, you would of seen i'd made an error with the psi, and should have said 22:1 compression ratio. I believe the general scientific consensus is that you can't compress a fluid hence my mistake and the correction :P

You are compressing a mix of air and fluid/vapour in the cylinder, the pressure at which it comes out of an injector has nothing to do with it at all.

Matthew :idea:

Scougar
28-02-2007, 00:20
very interesting lads keep on with the tech talk i'm learning here!! :lol:
both of you seem to know your stuff but i am gonna stick with stan he jus seems to have the edge :P
might get my hi comp forged pistons at a lower price :oops:

stan you have p.m {2min}

My only bug bear is that of cost really for the common man on a car that can be picked up for between 500-1500 pounds (guess at costs of average examples). Most mortal men don't have f1 race technicians to design hi compression, high pressure forced induction engines. This is why it is cheaper and easy to slap on a bigger turbo for 'easy and cheap gains'. I never said it would be "better".

Matthew
p.s. Stan does have "the edge" and then quite a bit more lol, but don't tell him that else i'll be fecked :wink:

DaveH
28-02-2007, 00:28
Modern diesels arent necessarily built to stricter tolerances, its more a case of the components themselves are much more heavy duty in order to cope with the extra cylinder pressure/heat. Rods,pistons,bolts etc are all built with extra strengthening to handle a cr of over 20:1 and up to 1.5 bar of boost. The cams and head bolts are also twice the width of equivalent petrol versions. Im not saying theyre not built to strict tolerances but no more than a new petrol engine.

Scougar
28-02-2007, 00:33
Perhaps my knowledge then is a bit back dated then in that respect. Would it be more accurate to say that originally the tolerences were higher, but then as more modern engines evolved the build quality gap decreased?

Matthew

DaveH
28-02-2007, 00:40
Unsure as im only a youngster :lol: I do know that many years ago build tolerances of both petrol and diesel werent great, hence the need for a proper running in period, now the running in period is virtually none existent, that may well have been the case a few years back but its all very even now especially where high fuel pressure petrol engines (vag FSI etc) are concerned as heat can be a big problem with these.

BenR
28-02-2007, 01:00

Matthew

If you read correctly, you would of seen i'd made an error with the psi, and should have said 22:1 compression ratio. I believe the general scientific consensus is that you can't compress a fluid hence my mistake and the correction :P

You are compressing a mix of air and fluid/vapour in the cylinder, the pressure at which it comes out of an injector has nothing to do with it at all.

whoooooooooooosh..............

hey! did you see that....that thing, there......aw its gone, it went over your head.

david932
28-02-2007, 01:19
:roll: give the lad a break fella's he's on the right lines

Scougar
28-02-2007, 09:28

Matthew

whoooooooooooosh..............

hey! did you see that....that thing, there......aw its gone, it went over your head.

Oh look, another band wagon has turned up, why don't you get on it...

Anyone can be sacastic, please try being constructive. At least Stan was polite enough to answer my questions/comments.

Matthew

Scougar
28-02-2007, 09:34
:roll: give the lad a break fella's he's on the right lines

Thankyou. I'm a software developer so I don't always know the correct terminology as I don't work with engines everyday of my life, and occasionally, like when i've got soaked the night before fixing someone else car until 11:30pm and am pretty darn the next day, I might write make the odd error (like I did above, and corrected it).

Matthew

BigBoreBri
28-02-2007, 14:19
What an ammusing thread... reminds me of the days of CS, lol

I dont think i would be getting into a debate about engine's with Stan or Ben tho... :notworthy: a

Scougar
28-02-2007, 14:27
lol.. your prob right on that :lol:

I will await what Stan has to say about the cost of a high compression high boost engine though. (please do stan as a comparison is always a good thing).

Not that I took it off topic of course :oops:

Matthew