PDA

View Full Version : rover gsi turbo

lewis_willy2
24-01-2007, 21:14
has anyone ever worked on one? my m8s letting me have his for a reasonable price. nearly done a part ex on the williams but just cant do it!

any info would be greatly appreciated as im getting one. needs piston rings, i got a whole spare lump so prob gonna rebuild it if its an engine out jobbie to do rings?

lewis

Coops
25-01-2007, 22:26
200 gsi? what year?

my next door neighbour is a guru, try http://www.rover200.org.uk/

lewis_willy2
25-01-2007, 22:53
its an m plate 2ltr turbo

Coops
25-01-2007, 22:56
200? 400? 600? lol

i'd guess with all the crap in the way up top its easier to sump off and pistons out from underneath but dont quote me on it. i'll have an ask if i get chance, but like i said try them forums, u'll get hold of his missus as shes admin and just as much of a rover nut! in fact the turbo is hers! :lol:

lewis_willy2
25-01-2007, 23:06
sorry its a 200

FATBOY
25-01-2007, 23:16
ROVER :shock: the name says it all!!! lol

clowo16v
26-01-2007, 00:34
**** that they're a complete cunt to work on you'll think clios are as reliable as a mazda if you get it lol

My mates had loads, the engines are wank, the gearboxes break easier than renault ones, and they're not very quick.

Matt

E_T_V
31-01-2007, 23:23
f**k that they're a complete c**t to work on you'll think clios are as reliable as a mazda if you get it lol

My mates had loads, the engines are w**k, the gearboxes break easier than renault ones, and they're not very quick.

Matt

Its true the gearboxes are a weak point (blame honda they designed it)
If the engines are w**k then how come the fastest FWD car in the UK uses the same engine, (and infact is basically the same car!)
Any how quick do you think they are?

Coops
31-01-2007, 23:30
my next door neighbours is in bits as much as my clio, flies tho when its working. but his one true love is his show condition MG meastro turbo! 8)

Daz.
01-02-2007, 00:03
how condition MG meastro turbo! 8)

Yummm 8)

Love em to bits and I have no idea why :D

E_T_V
01-02-2007, 00:07

Yummm 8)

Because they are bloody ugly and very brutal as well as bing very old skool too. Also they are as rare as rocking horse doo doo and bloody fast.

Joel
01-02-2007, 00:33
My mate just a sold rover 200 bubble shaped with a 220 Coupe Turbo Lump in it 8) 8)

clowo16v
01-02-2007, 12:51
My mates had 7 or 8 of em as standard the engines are shit to make em fast you need silly boost and they blow up. As standard I could beat em in my Clio, and he had one running about 260bhp and that managed a 14.6 quarter mile which isnt very fast at all. Above 100mph they're fast but apart from that they're shit.

My mate does all the balancing on Andy Nicholls engines. They might be a Rover block but thats about it.

Matt

lewis_willy2
01-02-2007, 16:35

Yummm 8)

Because they are bloody ugly and very brutal as well as bing very old skool too. Also they are as rare as rocking horse doo doo and bloody fast.

ahh you made it over E_T_V. cheers for the help. just about to go outside and crack on with some checks.

so far guys ive gotta say the rover flies. only runnin 6psi when im running about but do go up to 11-12psi and its rapid. not raced against my williams yet tho. feels quicker?

bad things: brakes r so bad. got in the williams las nite and nearly put myself through the window.

hard ride due to lowered suspension.

thats it so far. look relitively easy to work on tho.
lewis

E_T_V
01-02-2007, 16:52
Yeah I thought I'd take a look.

If its running 6psi then the boost modulating valve is fried or disconnected as that is actuator pressure. If you fit a mechanical boost control valve (ball on spring type) then you can adjust it to get back to the standard 11.5psi. Don't take it over 12-13psi as otherwise the pistons will fall apart unless they are forged ones. The mechanical boost controler will give you FAR more torque at low revs (you'll hit full boost at around 2,000 revs) so be careful when launching it in 1st and 2nd as this is what kill the gearboxes. If you are running the original gearbox then I can uprate the bearings, and if possible you'll want to keep the standard limited slip differential rather than have a normal open one.

The brakes are terrible I have to admit (they fade too fast) but there are a few easy enough upgrades to do to make them a lot better which I'm gonna be doing soon.

Working on them is really easy compared to a clio. Loads of room to work and things are pretty simple under the bonnet. I know which I'd rather be wroking on.

Clowo16v>
I dunno what the book 0-60 speed is for a clio but the 220 turbo is 6.4 ish depending on the model so you can hardly call it slow.
Its all relative I suppose though, it depends on what you class as fast and what you class as silly boost.
Andys cars are something else too. I don't think many cars in its class with 500+ horsepower are running with standard internals.

lewis_willy2
01-02-2007, 18:23
ive got an in car boost adjustor and ive wound it in to save fuel.

the gearbox was reconed on the 20/03/2006 so im hoping its ok. apparently its lsd. not checked as i dont wanna replace it or driveshafts yet!!

clowo16v
01-02-2007, 18:57
Does it say if the box was rebuilt with steel caged bearings? We did that on my mates as his dad has a gearbox firm and it didnt blow up again.

Matt

lewis_willy2
01-02-2007, 19:02
Na but it was a 620 rebuilt box

total cost including clutch n labour was 1200.

not sure what it was rebuilt with but the box from the same place for my dads vectra sri was only 400 so im not sure but the extra price for the rover box could be uprated bearings?

Coops
01-02-2007, 21:04
me next door neighbour grabbed me today, u made it over to his forum i see, any use? or u want me send the heavys round?! :lol:

E_T_V
01-02-2007, 22:17
ive got an in car boost adjustor and ive wound it in to save fuel.

the gearbox was reconed on the 20/03/2006 so im hoping its ok. apparently its lsd. not checked as i dont wanna replace it or driveshafts yet!!

Ok first thing is first.. Ditch the bleed valve. They aren't good news. you've done right winding it all the way (to lower the boost back to actuator pressure).

There are several ways to rebuild a gearbox.
You can just replace the bearings like for like.
You can replace them like for like with steel or brass caged ones where they are available
You can replace them using higher load rated bearings in the differentiual with more bearings in aswell as metal cages (this is what I did)
Or if you are handy and have a machine shop at your disposal you can fit taper roller differential bearings.

They are listed in order of worst to best.

Coops
01-02-2007, 22:23

Yummm 8)

his rover 200 turbo is faster than the MG tho, MG in fact is pretty much williams spec in its standard trim (which his is) its a 2.0 8v turbo runnin around 150bhp and weighs slightly less at around 920kg iirc (even tho its a 5 door! :shock: :wink: )

E_T_V
01-02-2007, 23:50
Does it say if the box was rebuilt with steel caged bearings? We did that on my mates as his dad has a gearbox firm and it didnt blow up again.

Matt

Ahh is that Mike and his dad? If so then I don't know what he does to rovers but he always blows them up. I've no idea how he manages it.

clowo16v
02-02-2007, 00:02
Yeh its Mike lol. He drives like a mentalist lol, infact we both do. Runs big boost thru em aswell.

Matt

E_T_V
02-02-2007, 00:46
Yeh its Mike lol. He drives like a mentalist lol, infact we both do. Runs big boost thru em aswell.

Matt

Thats why he keeps blowing them up. Without forged internals the maximum safe boost is around 12psi. at 13-14+ the pistons start melting or the ringlands break up on the pistons so they show the symptoms of piston ring failure.

Zollo
02-02-2007, 10:07
Without forged internals the maximum safe boost is around 12psi. at 13-14+ the pistons start melting or the ringlands break up on the pistons so they show the symptoms of piston ring failure.

So what are you talking about here then?! :?

Andys cars are something else too. I don't think many cars in its class with 500+ horsepower are running with standard internals.

E_T_V
02-02-2007, 11:27
Just what I said. :p

There aren't many cars in its class that can be modded to significantly increase the power without uprating the internals. In the case of the Rover T16 it is the pistons and the turbo that need uprating first as otherwise you are looking at a ~220bhp limit on original ones.

With Andy nicholls cars is it really suprising that there isn't a lot that is original? The engine is now producing 3 times what it did in standard form!

clowo16v
02-02-2007, 17:36
Rover turbos are so cheap tho it costs less to keep blowin em up lol

Isnt the trick for rover turbos to use the non turbo rods & pistons from a Rover 800?

Matt

J o n
02-02-2007, 18:51
bloody hate Rover's, it could be the fastest car in the world, but still looks like something my grandad would have bought. boring as hell to look at, i'd rather be in my ghey little Clio thanks

clowo16v
02-02-2007, 19:14
I dunno I think coupe turbos are quite nice looking cars.

Matt

lewis_willy2
03-02-2007, 10:52
the coupe is nice a bit grandad like but its a nice car. not keeping it. the williams is left on the drive looking sorry for itself :oops:

E_T_V
04-02-2007, 01:24
When you get it running right you might change your mind :D

The difference in performance between 6psi and 12 is rather large :D
And remember it isn't just about bhp either the torque is rather good too.

DaveH
04-02-2007, 01:37
I thought the fastest fwd car in the country was a supercharged civic type r? Just what ive heard, could be wrong though!

Oh and imo the only rover worth having is the sd1 thats only because my mum and dad had them when i was little, way before the rover/Honda lovechilds lol.

E_T_V
04-02-2007, 01:45
Have a look for yourself

http://www.an-racing.co.uk/

10.8s quarter mile is rather good :D

I'd guess some of the yank civics would be faster but this is the UK here :D

DaveH
04-02-2007, 01:59
Im quite aware of what country im in lol Its just im sure id heard or a UK! civic running in the 10's. As previously said though i could be wrong, if thats the case i stand corrected![/b]

clowo16v
05-02-2007, 04:41
Theres an english guy that has run 10.5s in a mini cooper s in the states but hes only managed 11s over here.

Matt

J o n
05-02-2007, 10:07
I wonder what happened to the guy that used to be at York all the time with the Maestro Turbo running 11.1's... that thnig was a ****ing beast, remember him following us down the back lanes... handled alreet too!

lewis_willy2
05-02-2007, 11:29
well mines all running fine now. guessing it was the map sensor. just swapped the ecu. im selling up anyway. the differenve between 6psi and 11psi is alot. but the print out i got for santa pod last year is only a 15sec 1/4. quick but not quick enough.

swapping for a tungy grey 5 turbo and and bit of dollar tonite possibly

clowo16v
05-02-2007, 11:47
Jesus that was owned by the same guy who has the 10 second MG Andy Nicholls but its now owned by his son I think. Still about tho.

Matt