PDA

View Full Version : yey!!!! - diff circlip finally sorted!

stew
22-01-2007, 13:17
after a failed attempt last weekend, when i replaced the circlip, but not the slightly broken thrust washer :oops: , i got it all sorted on sat.

didnt take long, but tried the richy/bayliss approach and still lost my box oil over the garage floor! :roll: :evil: nevermind!!! :P

glad its back and all working again.

sorted the polycarb windows better on the front sliders, and fitted (working) phase 2 heater controls, my old ones were proper ****ed!!!!

to do before oulton :

*fit 3mm white plastic inside doors, rear 1/4's and tailgate.
*fit fire extingusher
*send f/o/s shock to avo for refurb - leaking damper
*fit white lockwood dials on instruments
*hopefully fit black (checkerplate) in footwells
*give it a good clean/polish
*if its dry respray front bumper and tidy up rear arches!

not much to do now! :wink:

Bayliss
22-01-2007, 13:20
glad it fixed ok mate, it always best to replace both at same time and its just as cheap to do it that way too!!!

northy
22-01-2007, 13:48
best get them shocks off mate - 2 weeks till oulton !

stew
22-01-2007, 17:10
just one needs doing, last time turnaround was under a week, so should be rate. ran outa time this weekend...was lazy on fri and sunday...but lets say i was having much more fun than fixing the clio outside in the cold. :wink:

ill get it off on thurs nite, away fri morn, back by weekend after...

but hmmm...

kinda thot there was another weekend before oulton :shock:

stew
22-01-2007, 17:12
EDIT :

im wrong, i have enough time - JUST!!!

:twisted:

northy
22-01-2007, 17:12
2 weeks / 3 weeks - its soon ! 8)

just dont end up with a shock missing on the 10th mate !

stew
22-01-2007, 17:15
lol

its not badly leaking...just noticed a little bit of grease on the damping adjuster so thot better get it off and refurbed, but it still drives fine! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hehe

dont worry big man...ill be there on the 10th! 8)

any plans for doing anything on the 9th? or a few beers after on the 10th or anything?

northy
22-01-2007, 17:19
on the 9th im probally going to tweeks to get my tracking checked then were having a 'stew comes to williamsland meet' at the usual place.

What time u going to be at mine for ?

stew
22-01-2007, 17:45
erm...not sure mate. hopfully down with you round about 6 or something.

neither of us have anything on on fridays anyway, so will just leave about 12noon i guess, but could leave earlier or later or whatever.

PM me if u want.

northy
22-01-2007, 17:46
no thanks :roll:

stew
22-01-2007, 17:51
fine :P :wink:

Martin
22-01-2007, 17:54
lol ladies....I'm gonna come down for some passenger rides ...no pussy driving allowed I wanna see 1:53's Northy! :P

Working friday night though so won't make the meet....booo

stew
22-01-2007, 18:10
ahhh bugger...fairy snuff!

yeah sure welcome to some passenger laps. im gonna be in at the deepend as oulton is a williamsland local! :(

well lookin forward to it tho! 8)

Justin..
22-01-2007, 18:55
good luck with the clip mate. mines popped 6 times. even after i had it welded in :roll: :x

Bayliss
22-01-2007, 22:29
lol ladies....I'm gonna come down for some passenger rides ...no pussy driving allowed I wanna see 1:53's Northy! :P

u won't get laps that quick by northy, do u not know him or something??? lol

stew
22-01-2007, 23:11
lol

what can we expect in terms of laptimes from slick shod caged f7r's???

MatBrown
23-01-2007, 02:22
and fitted (working) phase 2 heater controls, my old ones were proper f**ked!!!!

:P

Mat.

northy
23-01-2007, 08:53

u won't get laps that quick by northy, do u not know him or something??? lol

shut it u !

No problems martin !

2.08's - 2.12's on average for the quick guys stew.

Martin
23-01-2007, 09:04
I've done 2:08-2:09 on road tyres :wink: ....slicks should be down closer to 2 mins I think...

northy
23-01-2007, 09:10
not with 'slow arse northy' driving - best i could do in november was a 2.09 mate

Dont forget thats with a passenger.

It took a while to get some heat into the rear tires

2 live
23-01-2007, 09:13
lol.....was gunna say iv run 2.10 ish with road tyres and jus a chip ;)

cup car shud be quicker ...and on slicks even quicker still

flans beast was sub 2 mins def lol.

wot was it northy.1.56 or summat?? :wink: i think that may have been the slightly shorter circuit tho tbh.

Martin
23-01-2007, 09:13
aye that with the pish 1.8 so it's a fair time....

northy
23-01-2007, 09:21
No full circuit mate -

1.52 by tim sugden

1.56 by previous owner

2.09 by northy (in november) may improve if i went in July.

Flans had a bit of a advantage over mine i would say 2live.

Bayliss
23-01-2007, 12:54
not with 'slow arse northy' driving - best i could do in november was a 2.09 mate

you can't keep using the passenger excuse bcos that ain't gonna add 8 seconds per lap northy, what excuse u gonna use when u don't have a passenger

Rich
23-01-2007, 13:02

you must be running the pressures too high or it was v.cold. what pressures you running them at mate?

northy
23-01-2007, 13:11
was very cold....think i was around 27psi.

northy
23-01-2007, 13:13

you can't keep using the passenger excuse bcos that ain't gonna add 8 seconds per lap northy, what excuse u gonna use when u don't have a passenger

no excuse lol...a passenger makes a noticable differance in my cup car at oulton...

Come on bayliss....a 11stone passenger will slow u down - im sure u will agree on that one !!! :D :wink: :lol: 8)

Rich
23-01-2007, 13:14
crikey! thats hard for slicks mate! wanna be running more around 22/23psi in rear slicks. as per advice of a race team bayliss's brother was in contact with.
obviously there is variation due to temps ect (horses for courses and all that)
but thats where looking at wear after a couple of laps comes in but i'd still say 27 is a bit hard mate. may stop so much back end action mate as it does get lively from time to time :lol:

northy
23-01-2007, 13:57
when u were in with me i had 13 year old wets on the rear and slicks at the fronts lol..

as long as u take the first lap and a bit easy in the winter the slicks warm up fine....

Rich
23-01-2007, 14:00
yeah i know it was bad then due to the old wets on. (was quite fun :lol:)

but just letting you in in some info i have learned myself for you to try at oulton :wink:

northy
23-01-2007, 15:55
8)

stew
23-01-2007, 17:32
hehe

"calm down dear....its only a commercial!!!!"

Some people gettin carried away i can see....should lead to some fun banter on the day though! :twisted:

In respect 11 stone (avg person id say!) is around 70kgs, which if the car is a cup car weighing in at around what 900kgs (for example!), then difference in weight is :

driver + car = 970kgs

driver + passenger + car = 1040kgs

its like a 7-8% difference in overall weight, which is a fair bit more to accelerate and brake, and turn into corners. id reckon that the f7p's in the cup racers take that extra weight worse than an f7r in terms of trying to accelerate it.

i would also have thought that laptime comes from front end tyre grip and the ability of the driver to carry as much speed through the corner as possible. granted a planted rear end helps, but ur not gonna be backing off mid corner becuase the back end has stepped out and loosing 8 seconds per lap.

imo thats driver ability and the extra weight.

this is just from general motorsport knowledge, very good technical understanding of this kinda stuff (my uni course) and talking to people who race/used to race cars competitvly.

and im defo not saying im a good driver, im sure u guys will be running circles round me at oulton, but its just a fun day out at the end of it. once i learn the track i should be up there with the rest of you. only took a few hours at cadwell! :wink: 8)

Bayliss
23-01-2007, 17:55
if you have the extra weight of a passenger northy means u should carry more speed into down hillbends which there are many of at oulton, :lol:

2 live
23-01-2007, 20:44

no excuse lol...a passenger makes a noticable differance in my cup car at oulton...

Come on bayliss....a 11stone passenger will slow u down - im sure u will agree on that one !!! :D :wink: :lol: 8)

lol.....thik iv only done about 4 laps in 2 meetings there without a passenger lol.....will have to kick the pass seat outta touch next time.

richy
23-01-2007, 20:55
bayliss starts running around like a dog chasing its tail! :lol:

stan
23-01-2007, 21:07
Northy, why dont you get a tyre temp gauge, inflator, and pressure gauge, and set your pressures spot on.

Seems a shame wasting track time on tyres that may be under performing because you are going on second hand info. Best to set it to what it requires on the day.

stew
23-01-2007, 21:18
^^^^sounds like the sensible option craig!

sounds like more £££ as well tho! :cry:

to be fair i think gaz/northy/scott has a decent pressure gauge and inflators, but dont think anyone has temp gauges.

stew
23-01-2007, 21:19
im sure u guys will be running circles round me at oulton,

northy, Scott and Bayliss like to run circles round themselves nevermind anyone else... :lol:

hehe

:lol:

stan
23-01-2007, 21:26
If theres a few of you's gan to the same tracks regular, why not chip in and buy communal set-up gear?

would be the best bet like, you can get a proper tyre pyrometer for sub £100 I'd say...pretty easily at that I think.

stan
23-01-2007, 21:26
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intercomp-deluxe-pyrometer-with-tyre-probe-for-racing_W0QQitemZ320074389518QQihZ011QQcategoryZ122 308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bargain

northy
24-01-2007, 08:54
We have a tire gauge stan - well gaz has heehee. I have a footpump!

What ive done in the past is go out with all 4 tires at a set pressure from cold - get them nice and hot (harder in winter) then come in and set the pressures all the same depending on which one has gone up (with the heat)

At brands the passenger front was up by 8psi - once adjusted i kept them all at the same pressure once hot.

One think i dont know - is what presures the racers ran in the early nineties.

stan
24-01-2007, 14:44
It doesnt matter what the racers ran at any point, or any other clio for that matter...
You need to set them for you on that day.

you need a temp gauge to do this, and it will take you a couple of laps to get heat into them, then maybe another lap or 2 of checking adjustment.

If your unsure on what I mean, i'll explain, otherwise I apologise for teaching grany to suck eggs :)

stew
24-01-2007, 18:44
i get you stan, not sure if the others do.

what i did with my semi slicks at cadders was to set the all quite hard, take pressure out of them once hot, then reduced/increased the pressure as nessecary.

i found i had to keep reducing the fronts as they were over-heating and loosing grip. with the extra heat it brought the temps up loads. was struggling for front end turn in all day.

those semi slicks were damn good straight outa the box that day from then on, but after 5 hard laps were just way too hot and front end was all over the shop. think the rubber compound was a little soft, and possibly i didnt have the front end (suspension) set soft enough.

all good fun, but temp gauge would be good, but i suppose only when you know what the tyre specific operating range is.

:)

Bayliss
24-01-2007, 20:23
i know what u mean stan, just nobody unstands why i race all day with 1 spin and everyone else on slicks keeps doing circles if u know whatt i mean

stan
24-01-2007, 21:08
lol

well to clarify what im on about:

tyre pressure determines how much of the contact patch is working, due to how much variation in geometry the pressure causes across the tyre surface...much like getting shoulder wear when under-inflated, and centre wear if over-inflated.

So...once the tyres are hot after a few laps...get the car in, and for each tyre record the temperature at three points across the width opf the tyre...the outside, centre, and inside. write it down for each one.

This is where judgment comes into play, but its all practice....

basically, if the temps show hotter on the outside, and cooler in the centre, the tyre is under-inflated....conversly if the tyre is hotter in the centre, its over-infalted. adjust accordingly by maybe 2-3psi at a time...and re-test. after a few times you'll get an idea of how much variation is required.

If you record track and ambient temp, and log the above data...you can refer back to it when conditions are similar to make set-up time quicker.

A data table like this makes it easier to log:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6787/tyretemps8zj.th.png (http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tyretemps8zj.png)

stan
24-01-2007, 21:12
Just to emphasis, as i forgot to say above, making the temp equal across the width of the tyre ensures the whole of the contact patch is working, and grip is maximised for any point. This is what/how tyre pressure affects handling.

and this is why pressure data from other cars isnt really applicable.