PDA

View Full Version : Williams 2 paint codes problem

edde
06-05-2005, 23:51
I've been trying to touch up and respay bit of my car and got into some problems. The official paint code is 449 however the touch up paint Renault sold me is a very different shade blue to my car. I went to Motorworld for the spray can and thats a different shade again.
SO today I went into Halford and got talking to the paint guy who siad there are 3 449 paints in existance either 449, 449D or 449G there all compeltely different mix codes the D and G are very different apparently from the mixes they have to do.
So after a lot of thinking I'm still stuck I need an exact code is Williams 2 449D or 449D (doesn't look like its 449 from what Renault/Motorworld have sold me).
Anyone any idea or any idea where I can buy Williams 2 respray cans? I thought about getting a bodyshop to do it but its about £250 for the bits I want doing and that almost 2 track days so I know what I'd rarther spend me money on.

MatBrown
06-05-2005, 23:58
Some motor factors should be able to mix you the correct colour and can even provide it in a spraycan.

Mat.

Swervin_Mervin
07-05-2005, 00:04
Will it be on the VIN plate? I got a can mixed at Halfords for my 449 valver and it's slightly darker than the car.

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 00:13
The paint codes are different as the painting equipment that premixes the colours has tolerances just as the machines that machine the crank shafts do.

As the cars go down the production line the aluminuim within the paint machine wears and causes more of the blue for example and less of the metalic colour into the mix. This slightly alters the paint colour.

Because of this manufacturers issue a number of different shades of paint for the same code to allow for these differences.

Daz
07-05-2005, 08:04
The code will be 449..

There may be different shades tho.. I know there is 3 of 460.. and depending if the cars been sprayed, and which shade was used.. depends if it's right or not.

Renault, well, I wanted a touchup for my old 1.2.. and they didn't even think the colour existed.. so I left with nothing, heh.

edde
07-05-2005, 13:02
Some motor factors should be able to mix you the correct colour and can even provide it in a spraycan.

Yep but I don't fancy having to pay £20 just to find out at least one of the paints is the wrong colour but it looks like my only option.

Will it be on the VIN plate? I got a can mixed at Halfords for my 449 valver and it's slightly darker than the car.

The VIN plate just says 449 no other codes unfortunatly.

The paint codes are different as the painting equipment that premixes the colours has tolerances just as the machines that machine the crank shafts do.

As the cars go down the production line the aluminuim within the paint machine wears and causes more of the blue for example and less of the metalic colour into the mix. This slightly alters the paint colour.

Because of this manufacturers issue a number of different shades of paint for the same code to allow for these differences.

I know what you mean there bound to be tolerances but the 449 that mororworld and Renault sold is is completly the wrong shade its to light. The bodywork bloke at Halfrds who used to work at a bodyshop said it was definatly the wrong colour and tht only an idiot would say you could stick XYZ on it and make it looks right. I'm not looking for a perfect match (I'm not that much of a perfectionist for the car after all its for the track realy) but somehting around the same sort of shade would be a good starting place. ALso 449, 449D and 449G are all very differetn shades its not enough to be a tolerance its different.

PS the cars not been resprayed form what I know and have seen so that not an option.[/i]

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 13:31
Edde i did my own arch last year (just a temp thing) and i got some 449 spray in a can from halford. They made it up for me. I could send it you if you want to try it, i bet there is a good half a can left.

I have now had my arch done properly, but the colour match for my car was pretty good.

Let me know, if you want it.

VIPERONE
07-05-2005, 16:54
not forgetting that your car would have been subject to weather extremes in the uk, salt, sand, wind, hail, snow, ice, carbon pollutants, maybe even eggs flour and bird shite... this all takes a toll on the body work...

williams255
07-05-2005, 17:13
get yourself down a local bodyshop with a part of the car or the car they will have all the shades avaliable you can then go from there when i went to get paint for my williams 3 the paint code was 472 6 different shades

BRUN
10-05-2005, 19:33
your right edde

on the paint machine we have @ Motor World, there is 3 different shades of 449 sports blue

did you have it mixed at the branch ?....was it £9.99

if it was £5.29 then those are the CarPlan Colour Match cans, and they rarely match very well...

the only real way is ask what the difference to the mix is, and see if yours has slightly more of one colour

ive experienced this myself with Renault pearl black on my previous 1.4RT, 4 shades of that colour were available, one with 5% silver, one with 5% bronze, and one with 5% blue, aswell as the standard shade, from lookin at mine in the sun, me and the boyshop fella decided mine was the 5% bronze one

however, when i had bodywork done at the Renault bodyshop, he said only one shade existed....

edde
10-05-2005, 20:19
It was the £9.99 cans yep.

Renault sold me the 449 touch up which is the wrong colour so I cannot belive them.
I'm just going to have both made up I think.

big hp
10-05-2005, 20:23
Sounds like the only option.