PDA

View Full Version : ARB Bushes and Track Rod Ends

Coops
17-01-2007, 19:55
How easy to fit?

haynes seems to think ARB is take the downpipe n god knows what off to do the inner bushes.

likelyhood of seized joints n rust aswell?

and also haynes says that when refitting u need to drop the car onto its wheels before tightening all ARB bolts inner and outer and the track rod lock nuts, how the hell am i sposed to do that?!

cheers

Coops

richy
17-01-2007, 20:26
i take it you mean just to change them not fit wide track etc

no you dont need the downpipe etc off, ive done a few sets on the floor, obviously the car on axle stands and the use of trolley jack etc

never had any inner bush bolts siezed etc yet! you just need a spanner for one side and ratchet/socket etc other side! they are never easy to fit tho, just cus old ones tend to be soft n compressed and new ones arnt! lol

Coops
17-01-2007, 21:50
no worries, cheers mate and ai its just replacing new for old, no upgrades to willy track unfortunatly! :(

oh n secret special weapon for new bush fitment....g clamp :twisted:

Frenche
19-01-2007, 15:55
Trackrods will be seized, buy a mini gas gun from Homebase, B&Q etc for £10 or so and heat it up, also remember how many turns or make a mark.

nyk
19-01-2007, 16:11
The bushes are an arse to fit. As is said above the old rubber is soft and worn, and the new one is really stiff and a nightmare to get in.

:lol:

arj256
19-01-2007, 17:59
Track rod ends can be a pain to do. Especially when you have to get the blow torch on them. Shame no one puts any grease on the threads then they would be easy.
The arb rubbers in the middle are fiddly, was fiddly doing it on the subframe off the car.

McPikie
19-01-2007, 18:19
what's all this "Get a blow torch" shite.

Coops, get your arse over here again next weekend and I will do them for you, Piece of piss

arj256
19-01-2007, 18:28
Well when there sezied solid and your using lots of leverage to undo them and nothings budging.
Heating them up allows it to move. Had to do it on the valver wasnt fun.

BristolSam16v
19-01-2007, 19:04
Had to use a welder on mine, blow torch wasn't hot enough :shock:

Clio_GTT
19-01-2007, 19:09
Inner arb bushes are a cunt and a half, G clamp isn't really the best tool as it slips or just gets in the way of the bolt :(

richy
19-01-2007, 19:39
Inner arb bushes are a c**t and a half, G clamp isn't really the best tool as it slips or just gets in the way of the bolt :(

ah see i have a trick for them and no need for the G clamp lol :wink:

Coops
21-01-2007, 02:13
g clamp, mole grips and jack was employed for bushes, track rods gave up to brute force, no danger all sorted! 8)

cheers people!