PDA

View Full Version : What do I do?

big hp
06-05-2005, 19:28
The williams i'm supposed to be buying was being MOT'd and a wheel bearing done today. Its been 2 weeks since I viewed the car so was looking forward to picking it up this weekend. Anyway got a message tonight and the garage havn't done anything as they snapped the locking wheel nut key. Now they've got to drill or smash nuts off depending on type. The garage have said they can't do it and its got to go somewhere else to take the nuts off.

I'm just getting a bad vibe now, as well as being slightly pissed off. I paid a £200 deposit but am considering just losing that and finding another one. Whats peoples opinions?

NickFr
06-05-2005, 19:32
Be patient, everything about these cars seems to require patience....it's a bummer but not the end of the world!

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 19:34
That bollocks. You take the tyre off, then the caliper and the hub and pull the broken nut through the back of the hub.

An rac man did it on the roadside with just a spanner, rubber hammer and some pliers.

Any garage should be able to do it.

I would phone this girl up, tell her the deposit was given based on you picking the car up this weekend. Tell her to get it sorted NOW or youll pull out and a solicitor will recoup costs through a small claims court if the deposit isnt returned. A verbal agreement to deliver the car is a binding contract. As soon as the money was handed over, a legal contract was formed. Tell her its not good enough, if that garage cant do it, get her to take it somewhere else.

FATBOY
06-05-2005, 19:37
That bollocks. You take the tyre off, then the caliper and the hub and pull the broken nut through the back of the hub.

An rac man did it on the roadside with just a spanner, rubber hammer and some pliers.

Any garage should be able to do it.

I would phone this girl up, tell her the deposit was given based on you picking the car up this weekend. Tell her to get it sorted NOW or youll pull out and a solicitor will recoup costs through a small claims court if the deposit isnt returned. A verbal agreement to deliver the car is a binding contract. As soon as the money was handed over, a legal contract was formed. Tell her its not good enough, if that garage cant do it, get her to take it somewhere else.

always love your replys in these situations king!!!! by the way mate has anyone ever ripped you off or anything??? cos i couldnt see anyone doing it to you!

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 19:41
People try.

I dont take any shit.

FATBOY
06-05-2005, 19:43
so i noticed mate! hmmmmmmmm fcs will be funny tho! cant wait for that!

big hp
06-05-2005, 19:43
They've broke the key Stromba, not the stud or else it would be as simple as that.

TBH It was never properly arranged for this weekend, just mentioned, seeing as the car was going in today for the work to be done.

I'm just getting a bad vibe about it and can't help thinking my best option would be to hybrid my valver.

Oh i'm confused.

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 19:45
Tell her you want the car asap.
williams or bust.

big hp
06-05-2005, 19:47
I don't like the idea of some monkey smashing or drilling the locking nuts out though. Probably **** all four wheels leaving them needing a refurb.

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 19:48
Phone her and tell her if the wheels are damaged by monketys you wont buy it and will expect the deposit returned.

big hp
06-05-2005, 19:49
Oh and she's already said it'll prob be done and ready for collection in a fortnights time.

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 19:50
Not good enough

tell her you need to prep the car for fcs. Tell her your thinking of pulling out, shell soon get her ass in gear then

big hp
06-05-2005, 19:51
I'll mull it over tonight and let her know my decision tomorrow.

NickFr
06-05-2005, 20:12
For me it's simple, do you want the car or not......is it bad vibes or just pissed off having to wait, which is normal.

" Risk and Reward " risk is you walk away and end up like Northy's bro, spending ages and petrol on finding another....reward you end up not buying a pig in the poke...no evidence of that so far.

Resorting to legal action is always last resort and for what? she hasn't said she won't give you the deposit back and the wheels have not been damaged yet...these things happen....good idea to sleep on it!

KS a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on :wink:

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 20:18
People assume its not, but a verbal contract is a verbal contract, which is just as binding as a written one.

summeh
06-05-2005, 20:43
I don't think you should be getting bad vibes just from a broken nut key... This commonly happens and do you know why... cuz the retards that put tyres on in these kwik fit places etc just gun the wheels on and don't tighten to the proper torque settings... those guns are rated to 900nm+ of torque ... get the nut seized just a little but and you're never getting it off in one piece because the key will break!!!!

This happend to me just a few months ago when I went to put my new tyres on... They quoted me 10quid a tyre when I went in, broke the key on the first wheel and spent the afternoon hammering a socket onto the nut and getting it off. they didn't damage the wheel and still only cost me 10quid per wheel :D not bad i think :) they even replaced the locking nut and key, hehe. any garage should be able to do this. they probably don't want to.

If its a key with 3 prongs they are bloody shite, always snapping, but if your wheels are tightend to the correct torque setting (90-100nm) you shouldn't have this kind of problem.

big hp
06-05-2005, 20:53
I understand all that mate. I think whats bugging me is because i'm pissed off about it all. Was looking forward to picking it up. Have just been looking at 172's again i'm that pissed off.

big hp
07-05-2005, 11:31
Ok after sleeping on it i've decided to carry on with the purchase of the williams.

I'm going to phone her up and tell her I want it sorted by next weekend though. I also want no damage to the wheels else i'll be knocking £300 off the price. I think 3 weeks is more than patient. If she can't do this then i'll request my deposit back as i'm not the one who has defaulted on the deal.

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 11:34
....and then chuck a grenade into her house as a warning.

big hp
07-05-2005, 11:36
No..... I'll just fart through the letter box. Be a lot more effective at the moment.

Rich
07-05-2005, 11:59
nah piss through it and ask her to tell you how far it went ;)

big hp
07-05-2005, 12:00
LOL