PDA

View Full Version : Track Rods

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 16:26
I have movement in my drivers side wheel. The movement is coming from the inner knuckle joint on the track rod, just before it connect to the rack. I can get new track rods from reno with the track rod ends for 70 pounds. This will replace the worn knuckle joint and stop the wheel wobbling.

However, a refurbished rack from some places is about 150 to 200 pounds. If i replace the whole rack the knuckle joints will be replaced but i will also have a refurbished rack. Reno mechanics have told me that rack replacement on the Clio is pretty unnecessary unless they are leaking as the rack and pinion joints do not wear.

So should i pay extra labout to get the whole rack replaced with a refurbed one - total cost £350 to 400 odd quid

Or just get the track rods replaced - total cost £150 to £200

Anyone actually seen the rack wear at the rack and pinion join? I have tested my rack and it seems to be unwork as wheel movement is synchronised with steering wheel movement. Im pretty sure the problem is the knuckle joint.

Rich
06-05-2005, 18:00
have you not just answered your own question? if there is no play why bother? as the sayin goes if it aint broke don't fix it! and in this case there isn't the saying of prevention is better than the cure as if it is still the same as it's always been there's nothing to prevent:)

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 18:03
Clever clogs :P

Rich
06-05-2005, 18:48
well it appears someone needed a brain jog :D

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 18:59
So would you replace both or just the one with movement?

Rich
06-05-2005, 19:00
just one with the movement tbh mate it's not as if there is a need to do it as there is no play/wear present

KingStromba
06-05-2005, 19:11
:D