PDA

View Full Version : Mounting an oil cooler?

McPikie
12-01-2007, 13:25
I would have thought that I would be best putting mine behind the bumper, in front of the rad. But, looking at my car there is only the bottom grill appeture that seems to get much flow :? Surely mounting my cooler here will block the flow of air to the rad??

nyk
12-01-2007, 13:34
speak to gaz two, he had plans for fitting that Goodridge he got off me but dont know if he's done it yet.

:lol:

MAXIBOY
12-01-2007, 13:40
wont block airflow as it will travel though but the only other place is behind the foglight holes if the fogs are removed

Lee Keefy
12-01-2007, 14:24
Not done mine yet, bit short of dosh atm to get the rest of the stuff I need, reckon it won't be till at least March till I look at fitting it.

you could always sell it back to me, :D

i need one now :roll:

McPikie
12-01-2007, 14:29
Or you could get the same as mine for loads cheaper Lee :lol:

clowo16v
13-01-2007, 15:55
What about behind the rad with a scoop to get air to it.

Matt

DaveH
13-01-2007, 16:12
I think it would be best at the botoom in front of the rad as you said because itl only be blocking part of the air flow, the air will still flow up into the rad. I dont know about anybody else but my temp gauge drops right down when im at sufficient speed anyway and runs quite cool, i dont think this would affect it too much.

It would be quite good to have it to the side as suggested above but you may need to do more fabricating work to fit it and also with the pipes.

Lunner
13-01-2007, 17:46
I'm in the same boat as Gaz, got the colloer just need the cash for the stat and pipes, i was thinking either behind the fog lightsm although i think i'm gonna use these for brake ducts, other thought i had was behind the rad at the bottom

clio_rsi_turbo
13-01-2007, 22:29
it flows thru the cooler anyway, so wont affect the rad. not enough for you to notice anyway.

James_R
14-01-2007, 14:38
If the rad suddenly over heads from a oil cooler being in front of it, then there's someting very wrong with the rad.

My oil cooler takes up abotu 1/6th of the front sruface area of the rad and I havent' had any chnce in coolant temps. wellother than they don't get dragged up by high oil temps anymore 8)

The rad has a harder time cooling you at full chat to stop than full chat as the air flow is so much, hence why cars run thermostats, as the rads are usually over sized.

Just wack it in.