PDA

View Full Version : 106 Gti engine stuttering.. Help :(

Flan
11-01-2007, 14:39
HI all,

I’ve got a bit of a problem with my 106Gti 1997 it was all running fine then started to idle a bit funny (hunting really bad) I got under the bonnet and fiddled with the wires to the map sensor and icv and it was fine but a few miles it would do it again. Sometimes if disconnected the icv it ran fine but then after a while it came back. I cleaned the icv and it did the same. Now it hesitates really bad and sometimes when you pull away onto a roundabout it dies (like its flooding) but if you dipp the clutch and rev it it clears and its fine..

Its got me stumped. I changed the plugs and it worked for a day but now its back.

Any ideas, mast suffer form bad icv(stepper motor), map sensor or 02 sensor, or cts... but to change all would cost a bomb :roll:

And you thought clio's were bad :lol:

Dancliovalver
11-01-2007, 16:32
lol this happens with most of the earlier models mate, they have a really bad problem!!! laurens does it

most comin solution people are doing is swapping the old ISCV for one on the newer models!!!!

when people bought the first model GTI and VTS they all had the same problem, alot of people took them back to pug and they didnt know what was wrong, alot of people said it was the lambda sensor but other have always said its the old ISCV!!!!

so see if you can find an ISCV from say a 2000 upwards model, then let me know what happens coz ill get one for loz then :lol:

Flan
11-01-2007, 18:07
lol thanks... :lol:

yer 02 sensor is £53.62
map is £75+vat

not sure bout stepper motor but i had a spare and it still does it (from a later car)

Ghaaaaaaay gonna try o2 this weekend. need it fixed so i can sell it :lol:

BigBoreBri
11-01-2007, 20:23
Ive seen similar probems with the early TU5's in the past, like above check the ISCV and MAP sensor but be weary as ive had a few times the wires to the MAP sensor that have been fauly at the connector end...

Coops
11-01-2007, 21:04
second hand stuff flan, clios not taught u that?! :wink:

Flan
12-01-2007, 11:03
Ive seen similar probems with the early TU5's in the past, like above check the ISCV and MAP sensor but be weary as ive had a few times the wires to the MAP sensor that have been fauly at the connector end...

That really wouldn't suprise me coz sometimes when i tweek the sensor its fine, where abouts do they fail.

Flan :wink:

BigBoreBri
12-01-2007, 17:51
Where the wire goes into the multi-plug, seem to remember last time i removed the socket contacts with a precision screwdriver and replaced them with new ones, depending where its gone tho u may meed to cut the wires back a bit and solder/heat shrink some new wires into the loom.

If you need to check continuity mate ive dug this up from last time i did a GTI conversion...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a165/BigBoreBri/SchematicDiagram.gif

1312 is the MAP sensor, hope that helps mate 8)

Dancliovalver
12-01-2007, 18:45
Bri is there any chance you could take a foto of the connection that we are ment to be butchering :wink:

will av a go on the missus and let ya know, but i domt know which connector it is??

is it the one which joins the lambda sensor to the loom????

BigBoreBri
12-01-2007, 19:19
The map sensor is the one that bolts to the side of the inlet manifold, should be direclt above the cam cover, IIRC its the first set of wires that splice out of the loom from the ECU, its held on by a 6mm Hex Bolt me thinks although you could try giving it a clean first... TU engines are quite well known for kicking oil back up into the inlet stream.

I would check for continuity before you go "butchering" tho mate 8)

P.S cant do a pic fella as i dont have a GTI engine to hand, lol

Flan
15-01-2007, 10:08
ah ha...

Changed the Lambda sensor yesterday and the whole tip had coroded off :shock: so i replaced it with a new one (£65) and she's good as new.

Im lucky i guess.... i hate sensor faults and it sound like the 106 is prone for them :(