PDA

View Full Version : Newbee Help!!!

mark a
10-01-2007, 21:53
Hi guys,

I've just sold my Elise and I'm looking at replacing it with a Williams and buying a sensible car for the everyday stuff. I've owned 2 106 Rallyes, a 306 Rallye, Civiv type r and a 182 cup in my time and know a fair bit about cars, I just don't know too much about Williams'

I'm off to look at a couple next week and was wondering what is the most likely things to go wrong/look for. I have a decent budget and don't mind spending what I need to but don't want to get ripped off too!

Any suggestions of possible cars and buying advice would be great!

Andyvalver
10-01-2007, 22:39
Check the gearbox is sweet. Rusty rear arches are common along with sills ect..

Dont buy the first one you see. :)

There is more to check but my minds gone blank lol :oops:

mark a
10-01-2007, 22:54
Cool. I was going too look at a nice one next week and was planning to drive it away if it was nice. It is the first one though! I don't really have the time to look at loads though! What kind of cost am I looking at for the arches?

Andyvalver
10-01-2007, 23:03
Im not sure mate, i think the going rate for arches is around £150 per side or more.

Make sure the blowers get hot too mate cuz the heater matrix is a pain of a job. Also, check the mounts are ok, drive it in say, 2nd gear and let off the throttle to check for engine movement (you will feel it).

Erm, check it idles ok and doesnt stall. Although its usually a simple fix of just clean the icv. The engines are pretty solid its just engine mounts and the gearboxes that go. Although a williams box is stronger than a 16v box,