PDA

View Full Version : Strange misfire on hybrid

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 15:43
For those that don't know i have a willy 3 engine in my valver shell on 75k.

I've noticed over the last month or so that there's a strange misfire. Not when you start it, and not when you drive it normally, just when you boot it.

It only seems to happen in second gear (possibly third too), and it just seems to miss when i hit 5000RPM, feels as though i hit the limiter and jolts the car quite violently.

Any ideas what this could be?

I'm going to try swapping the rotor arm, dizzy cap, and leads from my valver engine as they're pretty much brand new.

Could it possibly be coil pack?

Thanks for any ideas!

Winston
10-01-2007, 15:56
Driven through any puddles?

Maybe wet ECU?

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 18:27
Well, it has been very wet recently, i'll have to check, no idea whether it's wet or dry.

You think that might cause it?

Winston
10-01-2007, 18:40
Had the problem on my hybrid and the williams ...but both run no splash guards or much else lol

I need a good scuttle to keep the water out ....TBH ive not checked the williams but it's be happening after the cars been swimming lol

I can't say 100% it will be this with out hearing and feeling the splutter ....but valvers hate the damp at the best of times

Winston
10-01-2007, 18:42
Had the problem on my hybrid and the williams ...but both run no splash guards or much else lol

I need a good scuttle to keep the water out ....TBH ive not checked the williams but it's be happening after the cars been swimming lol

I can't say 100% it will be this with out hearing and feeling the splutter ....but valvers hate the damp at the best of times

Winston
10-01-2007, 18:42
Shit ****ing bastard forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 19:29
Funnily enough mine doesn't have the front splash guard on the drivers side, nor does it have the cover over the cambelt at the bottom. Need to put those on.. Wouldn't of thought that would cause the ECU to get wet though.

Been through quite a few floods recently so guess that can't be helping.

Will swap the leads and stuff over and get the splash guards back on and see how we go!

Any other suggestions welcome!

Gray
10-01-2007, 21:14
IIIRC scott had this problem with his williams, i think it was something to do with a fault crank sensor?

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 01:00
Think i might have discovered what the problem is. She broke down tonight when i booted it and hit the 5kRPM misfire/redline. The engine just died and would not start again, there didn't seem to be any ignition, the plugs were not sparking, and the fuel pump was not priming.

Turned out my plugs were covered in oil as my rocker cover gasket needs replacing, which was causing the plugs to short out and blow a fuse. Replaced the fuse and it fired up, until it hit 5kRPM and it blew the fuse again.

Drove it gently all the way home and it was fine, so i will replace the rocker cover gasket and get rid of the excess oil on Friday and that should sort it.

Will post the results!

Cheers for suggestions all!

MatBrown
11-01-2007, 02:05
Which fuse did it blow?

Mat.

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 10:56
'Engine Management' or something like that, i can't remember the exact name?

MatBrown
11-01-2007, 12:35
Check the loom hasn't rubbed through anywhere and shorting out on the bodywork, have seen this before.
Was just behind passenger headlight.

Mat.

Flan
11-01-2007, 14:46
bit of a shit design with the rc gasket, i made the mistake of jet washing my engine b4 rich brought it. it ran like a sh1tter missing and spluttering, Got back whipped the leads out n the insert it was swimmimg.

Dried it out with the airline and it was fine... ay Rich :lol:

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 21:46
Mine doesn't actually have one, it's just sealed with silicone sealant, hence all the oil.. lol

cliokiz
12-01-2007, 18:28
Right, we've just fitted a rocker cover gasket, cleared all the oil out, fitted new spark plugs, new leads, new dizzy cap, and new rotor arm, and it's STILL missing, anywhere above 5kRPM. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't, so it's slightly better.

Conclusion is that it would appear to be an electrical issue. I had a quick snoop around for anything that could be shorting out but couldn't really see anything. Had a peek in the bay that holds the ECU but it's bone dry in there. Obviously the ECU could be wet inside but i didn't have time to get it out and have a look.

Anyone got any ideas what else it could be? Anyone in the local area (Lough/Leics) that might be able to have a look and give me their verdict?

Noticed there was a lot of corrosion around the earth terminal on the battery (a weird blue substance), and there seemed to be a white substance splattered around near the battery ( ;) ), as if it had been wet and dried, but there didn't seem to be anything around there that it could affect that wasn't enclosed..

Any suggestions welcome... thanks all!

cliokiz
13-01-2007, 23:18
Right, drove up to Lincoln on Friday evening, it was dry, and i didn't take it above 4000RPM all the way there. Parked the valver in a multi-storey car park overnight, so it was under cover.

I've just driven it back from Lincoln this evening, didn't go over 4000RPM again. When i got close to home i put my foot down and took it over 5000RPM in every gear, and there wasn't even a hitch.

Very strange! I'm thinking perhaps it could have been something that was wet somewhere, and the hours drive there and back may have dried it off.

I had a look at the fuse that kept blowing, and it had an illustration of the engine. Are there any known causes for this blowing?

Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Just hope it doesn't come back when it rains again... :roll: