PDA

View Full Version : Help to stop mongoose exhaust rattling!

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 15:38
Just had a mongoose exhaust fitted to mine, but, unfortunately it knocks, I've read about them knocking so it's not unexpected.

Took it to Mr Tyre in Leicester to have it fitted to replace the rediculously loud K-Tec exhaust, as they usually do a pretty good job. Took it out for a spin after it had been fitted and as expected i could hear it knocking under the rear seat.

Took it back and he bent the pipe slightly and moved some brackets, which did improve it, but when i tapped the accelerator, causing the engine to rock, it was knocking again

Took it back a second time and he bent it some more, but still knocks. Seems to be knocking as it goes over the rear axle , noticed the brackets were pretty close to the bodywork so it looks like they're what's knocking.

Anyone managed to stop theirs from knocking at all?

I was thinking about taking the big brackets off, and replacing them with the same sort of brackets that are used on pipes in the engine bay (the metal ones with the screws on that tighten up). These are pretty thin and the screws are too so hopefully shouldn't be as close to the body.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Apart from the knocking, i'm loving it!

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 15:41
Bit of an update,

Noticed over the last couple of days that the knocking has got far worse, and now it's vibrating against the chassis on idle :(

Also, the back box seems quite loose. Might have to get it up on a ramp and see what is going on! I asked if they could tighten the back box up when i took it back to the garage that fitted it, but he said "Not really.."

I had a look and it was hanging on the mounts correctly, so not sure what to do about that.

Oh and it's a Mongoose system from a Willy clio, probably doesn't help.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

tony16v
10-01-2007, 16:16
I've got a similar problem on my turbo... sounds like a helicopter on tick over where the exhaust is hitting... I think that my problem is that with the turbo down pipe there is no flexi joint in the exhaust system... so any engine movement means the exhaust is rattling...

I've ordered a flexi joint and will get it welded in, and see if that helps..

Think the only thing you can do is have a play round with the brackets and also try loosing the bolts and see if you can rotate it any...

cheers Tony.

VIPERONE
10-01-2007, 17:48
there is ahanger just under the rear seat, wrap it in inner tube fasten it on then you wll be knock free

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 18:26
Interesting! Like the idea of the flexi joint to reduce movement. Can any exhaust place slap one of those on? Where would you put it, just after the cat, welded on to the exhaust just before the flange?

gunnergibson - Do you reckon it's knocking on the hanger then? And i presume you mean an inner tube from say, an old bike wheel? Deflated too i'm guessing? Is there anything else i can use? Inner tubes aren't cheap from what i remember when i was a wee lad!

VIPERONE
10-01-2007, 19:20
I had some old rubber lying around so wrapped it round the hanger and it ridded the rattle.. i also used a series of tie wraps

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 19:26
Will have to give it a go. I'll get the rear end lifted up at the weekend if it's dry and see if i can spot what it's rattling on.

Funny thing is my old K-Tec exhaust was the same diameter as the mongoose yet didn't rattle at all!

Laine_16v
10-01-2007, 19:29
I share your pain!!!!

Ive had this problem with my mongoose, and it gets right on my tits!

ive come to the conclusion you need to wrap the final part in some heat proof padding (like thick stuff), but i havent found anything suitable as yet.

Laine_16v
10-01-2007, 19:30
And yes mine vibrates against the chasis on idle too! its worse when its cold and usually goes away when car is warm.

cliokiz
10-01-2007, 20:41
Laine where you based? If you're nearby we could have a session this weekend and try and sort em out! :wink:

Dancliovalver
10-01-2007, 23:59
lol was gonna post up the same question today!!!!

what i did was cut an old exhaust rubber in half and clamped it to the rear beam where the exhaust knocked, it helped for a while but didnt really do the job properly!!

i read something a while ago where somebody heated the curve up and bent it a fair bit and it sorted it good and proper but have never been able to find the post.

but on the plus side they do sound fookin mint! :lol:

Laine_16v
11-01-2007, 00:12
Im in bristol mate!

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 00:56
It's a 2 hour 30 min drive from Bristol to here! Bit of distance but if you wanna pop over on Sunday and try and get em sorted then feel free!

Gonna get mine up on the ramps and leave it on idle to see where it's knocking, and sort it all out hopefully.

Got my old K-Tec exhaust to compare to, that never knocked at all!

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 00:57
but on the plus side they do sound fookin mint! :lol:

Agreed!!

Will have a look at the 'curved' section of pipe tomorrow and see if i can figure out how it was bent. Will take it to the place that fitted the zorst and get them to do it if thats the case. Need to tighten up the backbox as well...

Coops
11-01-2007, 00:59
had issues with my magnex, zip tied it rock solid and stuck an old leather belt round the rear axle where exhaust passes over it, never had an issue since!

best bet tho is as u said, let it idle, but wait till it warms up, then all rubbers are at max pliability and you can then wobble the zorst (careful,its hot!lol) and see what it hits!

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 01:02
Certainly will do! Will get some gloves on then so i don't burn my fingers!

Will take some pics if possible so you can see what i find out. If anyones in the area and would like to try and sort theirs too feel free to pop over (Leicestershire).

Send me a PM if you're interested!

Dancliovalver
11-01-2007, 11:15
im only from melton mowbray mate so if you get yours sorted let me know where you got it done n i will give em a try!!! :lol:

where bouts in leicester you from??? the missus bro and his mates are from coaville and ansty way, they all have williams!!

Laine_16v
11-01-2007, 17:17
I think ill pass on the 2hr 30min trip, being a student i cant afford journeys like that :lol:

Ill get mine sorted i think with bike inner tubes and cable ties.

cliokiz
11-01-2007, 21:44
im only from melton mowbray mate so if you get yours sorted let me know where you got it done n i will give em a try!!! :lol:

where bouts in leicester you from??? the missus bro and his mates are from coaville and ansty way, they all have williams!!

I'm not actually from Leicester i'm from Mountsorrel! Mountsorrel is just 10 mins from leicester down the A6.

I'm not taking it anywhere to sort as they just scratch their had and don't know what to do, so i'm lifting the rear end up tomorrow and crawling underneath and stop it from rattling against everything i can see! Hopefully that'll sort it.

Will whip out some cable ties to hold it in place.

cliokiz
13-01-2007, 23:25
Right!

Had a look at my exhaust on Friday night, and i've managed to stop it rattling!

Where the exhaust goes over the rear axle, there is a hanger there, welded to the chassis. There's also a hanger on the exhaust which is quite large.

The problem on mine was, where the hanger was welded to the chassis, was right next to where the hanger was welded onto the exhaust. There was about 1cm of clearance between the two, so this was knocking no end when the engine was running.

What i did to prevent it, was i got a thick piece of rubber piping, cut it to length, and cut it open. Then i wrapped it around the hanger and used a zip-tie to hold it on.

It's still knocking, but you can't hear it at all because there's the rubber piping inbetween the two pieces of metal.

Loving it!

If you're nearby and want me to have a look at yours tomorrow, feel free to pop down. Send me a PM if you're interested :D

Laine_16v
14-01-2007, 15:54
ill have another look at mine on tuesday i think everything i try either melts of or shifts about and stops working :lol:

Guna try tyres innertubes next.

cliokiz
14-01-2007, 18:58
I dunno what it was that i used on mine, it was just some tuff thick rubber pipe that i found in the garage! Haven't checked it since putting it on but it's not rattling again yet so i'm guessing it hasn't melted off! Will check it next time i have chance.