PDA

View Full Version : what alarm????

FATBOY
07-01-2007, 15:57
thinking of treating the old girl to a new alarm. (well the cobra is over 10 years old now!) what is the best alarms to get out there at the moment????? at the mo the car has the cobra and has a seperate immobiliser..... and what is the difference between a thatcham category 1 and category 2 alarm??? i take it category 1 is better????

Rich
07-01-2007, 16:00
yeah cat 1 is better and more expensive. but why replace the alarm if its not broken? also clios are piss easy to nick anyway tbh. an alarm wont do much for the old girl imo. i'll never buy an alarm for a car anymore cos i just think if they want it they will nick it regardless of alarms. no qualms if it comes with one factory fitted like, just wouldnt spend the extra on one.

FATBOY
07-01-2007, 16:06
to be honest mate it is sort of broke! doesnt operate properly in some cases? but i know what you mean, it is an unnecessary expense

BigBoreBri
07-01-2007, 16:13
Its just not standard without the fully working cobra 6019/2 :wink:

Clio_GTT
07-01-2007, 16:26
toad ai 606

Daz.
07-01-2007, 17:21
mines been taken off!

I didn't realise they actually came with alarms as standard I thought someone had took back what they'd but on :D

Martin
07-01-2007, 17:22
you don't have any alarm Daz? :?

Daz.
07-01-2007, 17:27
Nope!

Central lockings where its at 8)

Justin..
07-01-2007, 17:40
lol. my alarm sounds like a cat being strangled :shock: i think the siren is fahooked :lol:

Daz.
07-01-2007, 17:42
^^^ you've just reminded me need to sort my horn - it sounds like a noddy car :lol:

Martin
07-01-2007, 17:43
How the hell do you insure it then Daz!? Insurers always insist on cat1 when I've insured willys..... :?

Daz.
07-01-2007, 17:48
Well you've just though of what I was thinking - Its insured as a factory standard williams bar springs and exhaust... which it is but if they take in to account the alarm... then its not really insured is it.... :shock:

Hmmm bump this thread lads i'm gonna have to get one now!!

Martin
07-01-2007, 17:54
^lol

When I looked around Daz the cheapest I found was 200 quid fitted for a cat1.....

Daz.
07-01-2007, 17:58
just done a requote on the willy and they do insure it without any alarm but its £168 more to insure it that way so I might aswell get one...

To be fair I was always going to get one but look like its coming sooner rather than later

MatBrown
07-01-2007, 18:10
toad ai 606

I agree.

Mat.

FATBOY
07-01-2007, 19:06
how much is the turd ooops i mean toad ai 606???

Daz.
07-01-2007, 19:17
I've just been looking at that and some are silly prices but others are quite cheap...

How hard is it to fit say a Ai606?

I've found a website that offer the Ai606 unfitted for £109.99 in Bury..

They state £149 to fit it so its around £250 all in...

FATBOY
07-01-2007, 19:23
found em on e bay! £109 but i then need fitting? so say around £200/250 all in??? also can you upgrade this alarm to have a proximity alarm/beep when someone gets close to it? and automatically close the windows once the alarm is armed????

Daz.
07-01-2007, 19:27
yeh you can but its very vague on the net for all the options!

I'm going to my local alarm/hi-fi shop next week to see what they can do and ask them about all the options

I do know you can have options added on at later dates so in my case with money as it is I might have to do this...

Mind you I did want closure and intellistart but at the end of the day they're more gimmicks than security imo...

FATBOY
07-01-2007, 19:34
lol i thought about intellistart! but thats a bit flash mate! :wink: i just want the close windows and proximity upgrades on mine! best bet i spose as u say is to visit a local company....

Daz.
07-01-2007, 19:58
check that guy out on ebay £200 all in fitting at your house within 75 mile radius of sheffield (i am)

if you look down the ad it states how much extras cost - windows are only £50 and prox sensors either £15 or £25 depending on which you want.

Allan
07-01-2007, 20:05
75 mile i think not :D

although you could go to someones house i guess get the fitted :D

Fatboy is like 160 miles south of me, and it takes me an hour to get to sheff :D

MatBrown
07-01-2007, 20:48
Think i paid £250 fitted for mine.
Needs to be installed by an authorised dealer to have the Cat 1 grading i think.

Mat.

FATBOY
07-01-2007, 21:05
yep daz! that was the one i was looking at! thing is, if i lived close(closer than the 75 mile radius he wants) i would have it done! but say i had it done and paid an extra cost for him to come to essex to fit mine, and then say it went wrong??? could you see him coming all the way back here to fix it? that is where i can see big problems happening... so i think i will use his prices as a guide and ring around local!

Daz.
07-01-2007, 21:45
Think i paid £250 fitted for mine.
Needs to be installed by an authorised dealer to have the Cat 1 grading i think.

Mat.

I believe it is - just waiting for a reply from the guy but from what I can tell they're a business in sheffield that will give the certification

northy
08-01-2007, 09:02
if the original cobra is broke - just replace with a new cobra.

I travelled down to romford to have NLRG's orginal fixed - but 3 faults deemed the original to my spares box (some are now on BigBoreBri's motor) and i had to have a new one fitted.

Wasnt happy with some connections - so i redid them when i got home !

snowman
08-01-2007, 10:40
ive just had a Clifford 650P fitted,its cat1 and comes with shed loads of extras atm,i.e flashing window decals and windows up,payed 350 fitted

2 live
08-01-2007, 15:07
last one i got..to replace the original..whom the insurers wouldnt class as a cat 1......cost me 200 fitted.

will be goin to get 1 for 0051 soon..will no doubt use same place.

dunno whether to jus go for an immobiliser tho tbh.when was the last time u actually saw anyone acting upon a car alarm that wasnt theirs...unless it was keepin em up all nite??

MAXIBOY
08-01-2007, 16:56
get an alarm with a pager and equip yourself with a few tools

Daz.
08-01-2007, 19:38
I've got one to go on next Saturday Ai606 with dual prox sensor and for now boot popper (think thats a great idea)...

£220 all in at my house which I though was fantastic...

When funds allow though a few of those extras might be going on!

Plus its going to lower my quote according to Bell over the standard Cobra so i'm quite happy to go with this one :D

FATBOY
08-01-2007, 19:44
whats the dual proximity sensor do mate???

FATBOY
08-01-2007, 19:45
oh and sound like a bargain mate!!!! :D will wait till yours is done to get a review of it! then after this weekend(doing a private job £600 2 days work!) will get mine booked in!

debottomley
08-01-2007, 20:05
Hi all, I have cobra modular cat one fitted to my willy 1, as I know they easy to nick ive equiped it with microwave sensor just underneath the carpet under the handbrake and the usual ultrasonics to keep them out, plus moved the alarm led to operate on each of the original door pins which looks nice imo.I like the cobra stuff cos its ultra reliable and simple to use, presumably why so many manufacturers use them! Im electrician for Land Rover at halifax and am approved cobra and Laserline fitter since I worked at ND Haighs huddersfield, Fitted price would be around £230 dependent upon spec obviously. if so PM me for accurate price if anyone fancies something similar, regards james

Daz.
08-01-2007, 20:08
whats the dual proximity sensor do mate???

Well you can have a single that just goes off if the car gets hit from the outside or the dual which gives a bit of a warning if someone gets to friendly...

Not sure how sensitive it is but i'm assuming if a footy rolled into the car at a moderate pace it would give a bit of a warning - a heavier right foot might set it off fully.

I'll twat the thing with tennis balls and see where the sweet spot is :lol:

mon
09-01-2007, 00:01
^^^ you've just reminded me need to sort my horn - it sounds like a noddy car :lol:

same here how do you sort it .. is the batterys gone ??? forgot to switch siren on with key thats wot balsed mine :roll:

ste72
09-01-2007, 21:13
Hi am new to this site, as im looking for a williams at the moment. Just thought id read through some of the different postings, topics, etc and thought id try and hepl. I have been auto electrician/ alarm engineer for about 18 years now( 8 of which with TOAD) and in my opinion the best alarm to go for is a Clifford. The only trouble is getting it fit by a good clifford dealer and not just any old authorised clifford dealer, because most problems with clifford are down to fitting and not the product as they are a bit of a nightmere to fit. Noticed you mention sheffield there is a dealer called Tecknicar who have a good rep. there. As someone has already said though nothing will prevent your car from being taken depending on how much it is wanted, good alarms disc locks etc just work as a good deterent to make them try the next car without security. any way gone on a bit but hope this helps.

seanofnp
09-01-2007, 21:53
lol i thought about intellistart! but thats a bit flash mate! :wink: i just want the close windows and proximity upgrades on mine! best bet i spose as u say is to visit a local company....

Have all that on my honda. Youd be surprised how many people comment on the intellistart. Some peoples faces is like a picture.

Daz.
09-01-2007, 22:16
I've swapped the prox sensor for the internal microwave now - its only £20 more and tell anyone who gets even near the car to fook off!

Better for me as my cars directly under my room and i'll here it no problem if anyone even looks at it wrong :D

VIPERONE
21-01-2007, 23:28
Cat 1 alarms are shit.

here is my DOG 1 alarm:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/gunnergibson/willygold/1087156286__thatcham2.jpg

DaveH
22-01-2007, 00:11
I need a bit of that i think!

VIPERONE
22-01-2007, 00:13
http://www.costumesinc.com/Costumes/images/20053.jpg

heres what happened when thethief tried to steal my stereo

Daz.
22-01-2007, 19:05
Got it fitted over the weekend and I think its great!

FATBOY
22-01-2007, 19:22
mines booked in for the 3rd! with added dual proximity alarm! so whats the lowdown on it daz????

Daz.
22-01-2007, 19:31
Well first off I took me aaaages to find the dual prox sensor - then realised its just a box! He put mine under the ash tray so apart from the led which is on the steering wheel cover (I didn't want one but its required really - you need to count the blinks in case of emergencies).

Its loud I tell thee!

Getting two new keys cut tomorrow as the central locking gets put on the new fob - because its radio instead of infared you can unlock/lock the car from bloody miles away now.. plus I want to keep my old keys in good condition.

Decided against boot pop as A: its rubbish don't know why I wanted it anyway (I feel so chavy) and B: I was scared at the amount of trim he had to take out to get to it!

The dual prox sensor just blips at you 4 times if you start hovering over the windows - its brilliant its not too ott but if someone was just being plain rude it's tell them off. Theres a sensitivity screw on the unit so if your not happy with the warning off distance you can alter it.

That and Xenons are easily the best things I've done to this one so far...

THE WORST thing about though was he had to take the top dash off and I know for a fact its never been off before so of course I have a billion creaks and rattles now that need fixing over the weekend :evil:

FATBOY
22-01-2007, 19:46
was it a local company that fitted yours???

Daz.
22-01-2007, 20:26
Ish - it was a comapny in sheffield that did fitting within 70 miles which I was just - I immediately like the guy doing it and new he wouldn't mess about with the car - its a damn good install you can't tell and for me thats a good install. i'm gonna re-route the bonnet catch sensor cable though, I know why he's done it the way he has but I think I can hide it a bit better - its very thin cable that one!