PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

DaveH
06-01-2007, 15:27
question is, which ones?

Ideally i want a set of good quality but that dont break the bank. What does everybody use/ recomend?

McPikie
06-01-2007, 15:38
I hear the FK ones are quite cheap, but not bad quality.

DaveH
06-01-2007, 17:04
I think theres different fk models also, iirc my bro has highsports on his vw and they has been faultless and handles a lot better than on cheapo ones. Ill have a look into prices for them. Also willy and valver ones are different so if i ever went widetrack id have to buy some more!

Dancliovalver
06-01-2007, 18:35
AVO!!!!

Winston
06-01-2007, 18:52
AVO GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!! I hear you cry :wink:

£320 iirc

Dancliovalver
06-01-2007, 18:58
in my opinion well worth the money for a 16v!!!! 8)

Riley
06-01-2007, 19:17

£320 iirc

id be up for that later on in the year, wallet permiting :D

DaveH
06-01-2007, 20:22
if theyre 320 id prob be up for that, just checked the fk high sports out and theyre roughly 400 incl VAT and free delivery.

Are avo a lot better then?

MattyH16valver
07-01-2007, 00:28
I have the FK Highsport SS Coilovers and had to grind away some of my hubs in order to get the correct camber adjustment as before I did this the wheels must have had about -10 of camber :lol: . Go for something other than FK's unless u are handy with a grinder! :shock: The FK's for willy's are fine though....a straight swap.

DaveH
07-01-2007, 15:00
Im not into bodgery tbh, would rather they fit properly to start with. Any body got any comments onthe avo ones then, who runs them? Do they fit properly?

Dancliovalver
07-01-2007, 16:12
as far as i know leda have a really good reputation also 8)

bill.
07-01-2007, 16:39

£320 iirc

ringing avo tommorrow, just to double check on this, last time i rang them, they said they'd do it for £320 delivered if we got 10 people, ( but i was a bit busy to sort anything out ) so it just died off although there were a few people interested, i'll report back tommorrow as to what they say :D

bill.
07-01-2007, 16:40
as far as i know leda have a really good reputation also 8)

are they not in the region of 700 notes plus though?

DaveH
07-01-2007, 18:25
Thanks Bill itd be good to know what they say.

So nobody has had experiences with avo then?

Nick16v
07-01-2007, 18:36

Well kinda, wen i got mine, theres bolts to tighten up which stiffens the shock up, one shock was a plastic bolt and the other one was metal. Not really a problem but in time i could imagine the plastic bolt falling apart because of it being rather flimsey, if that makes any sense, but u can always call avo and get metal bolts which is wat im doing...

DaveH
07-01-2007, 18:39
So theyre both height and damping adjustable then? 8)

Nick16v
07-01-2007, 18:44
Mine are.... so i presume they all are.

2 live
07-01-2007, 18:58
had mine fitted about 3 years + now....didnt have any trouble fittin em...and have had no trouble with em since fitting...altho i thiink the rears could do with a service.the adjuster is gettin a little tight....and wud b rude to not do the fronts at the same time lol.

arj256
07-01-2007, 19:44

I have had issues, but thats more down to the supplier than Avo.
Dont get them through Motorsport world as they have poor customer care imo.

DaveH
07-01-2007, 20:26
Cheers il steer clear but it seems like the avo's are the ones. I was kind of hoping that this group buy could be re-kindled to get a nice discount,

bill, are you speaking to avo direct or through a supplier?

bill.
07-01-2007, 23:56
daveh speaking direct to avo tommorrow, there's a fella on cs who is a definate also, so lets have some names

1.Bill
2.clio turbo off cs
3.DaveH?
4.?
5.?
6.?
7.?
8.?
9.?
10. think we might be being a bit optimistic here :roll:

bill.
08-01-2007, 16:54
right, just been onto avo regarding a group buy, its £320 .................plus vat unfortunatley which comes out at £376 delivered to your doorstep, which is still a good price in my opinion, so is anyone still interested in this?

bill.
08-01-2007, 17:02
thats instead of £420 plus vat btw.

jay s
08-01-2007, 17:15
ive had avo's on when my car had valver track, fitted fine but one of the front shocks started to leak after a month, the other lasted 5 months then started to leak, then had to get both front shocks rebuilt. the rears lasted around 2 years( wazza who has them now is just sending the rears to get rebuilt ). when i got widetrack fitted i wanted to try something different and went for fk konigsport, had them around 7 months and have'nt had any problems what so ever, but i hear the valver versions don't fit to well...

stevie_b
08-01-2007, 17:16

I'm interested and the price seems good. Is this for a Willy or a valver, or can you choose either in the group buy? Also does anyone know that there is definitely a difference as I saw some web order sites with the same part number on coilovers for both car types? I've already got adjustables on my valver but now I have the other bits to wide-track it I think I might need different (Williams fitment) front shocks?

Cheers

bill.
08-01-2007, 17:20
ive had avo's on when my car had valver track, fitted fine but one of the front shocks started to leak after a month, the other lasted 5 months then started to leak, then had to get both front shocks rebuilt. the rears lasted around 2 years( wazza who has them now is just sending the rears to get rebuilt ). when i got widetrack fitted i wanted to try something different and went for fk konigsport, had them around 7 months and have'nt had any problems what so ever, but i hear the valver versions don't fit to well...

how do the fk's compare to the avo's mate? in the handling departement?

is konigsport as in a KONI SUSPENSION KIT? :?

bill.
08-01-2007, 17:22

I'm interested and the price seems good. Is this for a Willy or a valver, or can you choose either in the group buy? Also does anyone know that there is definitely a difference as I saw some web order sites with the same part number on coilovers for both car types? I've already got adjustables on my valver but now I have the other bits to wide-track it I think I might need different (Williams fitment) front shocks?

Cheers

i asked for the williams, but i'm sure last time i enquired about it, it was for either williams/valver

jay s
08-01-2007, 17:31

i love the way the car handle's on the fk's, i prefer the ride alot more compared to the avo's. build quality is loads better on the fk's aswell imo.

konigsport are the adjustable versions,( damping/height) u get koni adj rear shocks and the front shocks have koni adjustable internals

jay s
08-01-2007, 17:33

Cheers

i asked for the williams, but i'm sure last time i enquired about it, it was for either williams/valver

valver and williams will have differnt part numbers as the front shocks are a different fitment. can't be fitted to each other

bill.
08-01-2007, 17:37

i love the way the car handle's on the fk's, i prefer the ride alot more compared to the avo's. build quality is loads better on the fk's aswell imo.

konigsport are the adjustable versions,( damping/height) u get koni adj rear shocks and the front shocks have koni adjustable internals

right, cheers mate, i had koni adjustable shocks on my valver and loved it, not adjustable height though, had it on for 5 years and no problems, how much is the fk Konigsport kit

bill.
08-01-2007, 17:39

Cheers

valver and williams will have differnt part numbers as the front shocks are a different fitment. can't be fitted to each other
what i ment mate was that i think as long as we order ten clio suspension kits, that price will stand, weather its for williams or a valver.

jay s
08-01-2007, 17:44
i payed £425 deliverd for williams fk konigsport from www.2modified.com think the may have gone up abit now ( got mine in june ), oh and they also come with loads of adjustable camber.

jay s
08-01-2007, 17:46

Cheers

what i ment mate was that i think as long as we order ten clio suspension kits, that price will stand, weather its for williams or a valver.

my bad mate, i was replying to what steve b said about seeing the same part number for valver/williams coilovers.

Martin
08-01-2007, 17:49
not keen on coilovers too much ...for the price I don't think a lot of them are worth it....the ones on mine at the mo are horrible. Will probably go back to stnd shocks when I have the cash....

bill.
08-01-2007, 17:49
oh right lol, wires crossed there, thought the koni's would have been cheaper that that

jay s
08-01-2007, 17:51
not keen on coilovers too much ...for the price I don't think a lot of them are worth it....the ones on mine at the mo are horrible. Will probably go back to stnd shocks when I have the cash....

very true, after i went round cadwell with u in the williams i was well shocked/impressed with what the std stuff is capable off

Martin
08-01-2007, 17:58
Don't get me wrong when I put avo's on the nana the difference was big! Miles better....but on the roads which are round my area the stnd willy suspension is best for the job....I'm willing to sacrifice 1 sec a lap on a track day for a good ride and faster pace on my local roads....plus lots of fun on track with the stnd setup anyway....harder to control oversteer with a really hard suspension setup.

Zollo
08-01-2007, 18:08
No need for me to say anything on suspension threads now Martin's sampled the delights of standardness... I feel redundant :?

Martin
08-01-2007, 18:14
lol I was a non believer for a long time having driven a abused/worn standard setup and thinking thats what they were all like but I'm a convert now... :)

DaveH
08-01-2007, 19:33
Martin, is there any way of setting the damping so theyre bearable on the road or are the softer settings still very hard? My brothers vento vr6 handles really well on coilovers (fk) and doesnt seem too harsh on the bumps but maybe thats because its a bigger heavier car.

Im still interested in getting some coilovers but peoples opinions/experiences are getting me confused as to what to do :?

Martin
08-01-2007, 20:10
Sure you have adjustable damping on coilovers but the springs are stiffer than oe so you don't get quite the same effect I don't think....comes down to personal preference I suppose and after sampling coilovers & good stnd setup I don't think they are worth £400+ of my money....others will tell you coilovers are best thing since sliced bread....

DaveH
08-01-2007, 20:32
The other bonus for me would be being able to set the ride height perfect front and back, it annoys me that the rear end is slightly lower than the front and i cant get it spot on no matter how i adjust the torsion bars! Sad i know but things like that get to me.

All i want is a good chassis setup for fast road and occassional track day but i dont think standard is the way for me as dont forget i only have a narrow-track valver lol

bill.
10-01-2007, 18:36
well, i'm defo going for a coilover kit, also going to see what price koni can do a group buy kit at, we should be able to get ten people together off here and cs

Danlp6
10-01-2007, 19:55
i'll go in for the group buy.

stew
10-01-2007, 19:59
The other bonus for me would be being able to set the ride height perfect front and back, it annoys me that the rear end is slightly lower than the front and i cant get it spot on no matter how i adjust the torsion bars! Sad i know but things like that get to me.

All i want is a good chassis setup for fast road and occassional track day but i dont think standard is the way for me as dont forget i only have a narrow-track valver lol

on a mk1 coilovers are just the front, with uprated rear dampers. only way to adjust rear height is torsion bar.

DaveH
10-01-2007, 21:08

on a mk1 coilovers are just the front, with uprated rear dampers. only way to adjust rear height is torsion bar.

lol i know. I meant i could adjust the front coilovers so they match the rear as there isnt as much adjustment on the torsion bars. I did mention torsion bars in the previous post!

stew
10-01-2007, 21:10
ok cool
my appologies! :)

DaveH
10-01-2007, 23:21
No worries mate, just read through it and it does sound a bit odd :D

bill.
12-01-2007, 21:05
ANYONE INTERESTED IN THIS GROUP BUY, PLEASE SEE THRESD IN GROUPBUY SECTION :D