PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket gone? :(

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 18:03
Hey, today i noticed the car running like a sack of crap, then I looked behind me and when my foot was down there was white smoke everywhere :( I've been having problems with the cooland boiling and high idle so I think it could be related :(

Ive only had the engine in a few days too :( So is it likely to be the HG? How much should I be looking at to get it sorted? Also any recommendations as to who to take it to?

Clio_GTT
05-01-2007, 18:26
go and sniff the exhaust, should be sweet smelling if its burning coolant

bluenose
05-01-2007, 18:40
go and sniff the exhaust
How often do you hear that? :lol:

Before i wrote mine off (RIP) i was quoted £200 mates rates and told at a garage i'd probably be looking at more towards £400. Good excuse to get some headwork done tho :wink:

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 19:11
£400 bloody hell, i've just paid for the conversion i don't need that. cant smell anything either got a cold but it's running really groggy and when you tap the accelerator it's thick white smoke :(

cliolord
05-01-2007, 19:27
where do you live mate. I totally know how you feel ive had lots of little problems with mine and i've only had the hybrid conversion for 2weeks or so. I can give you a hand doing it if you live near bristol for a few squid 8) im guessing you live near london

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 19:45
I'm in Sheffield mate, a member of here called ronsvalver help me put the engine in and it was so fun despite the idle problems, now this has happened.

The daft thing is I had a head gasket but we didn't fit it while the engine was out..

I really don't fancy taking it out again, it was such a bugger to get in.

clowo16v
05-01-2007, 19:51
I'll be able to give you a hand sorting it but I got back to uni on monday so won't be till the weekend after.

Get a list of all the parts you need. I've got a new rocker cover gasket if you need it. You'll need a new cambelt set aswell.

Matt

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 19:53
hey dude, cheers. I'm tempted to take it to a garage though, I just wanna drive it! Does the engine need to come out? I've just changed the cambelt, I don't need to do it again do i?

clowo16v
05-01-2007, 19:54
I would fit a new belt not sure about the tensioner etc will probably be fine see what other people say

Matt

Coops
05-01-2007, 19:57
can do it with engine in, mine went n did it myself but took me ages! :lol:

i got quoted like a grand to get it done at 5 different garages so tbh 400 aint too bad! 8)

if u change the timing belt, do idler n tensioner, no matter how new they are!rule of thumb!

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 20:00
A grand?! I'd rather drive the car into a wall than pay that. What's involved to warrant that much expense? The belt was done about 5days ago when the engine was out!

Coops
05-01-2007, 20:01
i knwo, stupid innit! thats why i did it myself, but car was off the road for 2 months as i overhauled all sorts of other bits n all while i was at it!

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 20:47
the cambelt and water pump was done when the engine was out so they are ok, just this damn head gasket!

Rob72
05-01-2007, 21:43
Hey, today i noticed the car running like a sack of crap, then I looked behind me and when my foot was down there was white smoke everywhere :( I've been having problems with the cooland boiling and high idle so I think it could be related :(

Ive only had the engine in a few days too :( So is it likely to be the HG? How much should I be looking at to get it sorted? Also any recoimendations as to who to take it to?

if the head gasket is blown you should see white gunge on the oil filler cap... oil mixin with water creates the gunge.
from my expierience it shouldnt even idle , just dies when you dont press the throttle .

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 21:45
it idles at 2k before, now it idles at 1k but very rough! I've not checked the filler cap yet but it seems quite recent.

Rob72
05-01-2007, 21:49
i would take it to a garage for a proper diagnosis before removing the top end...

stan
05-01-2007, 21:57
It wouldnt necessarily gunk up the filler cap...it depends where its failed.

I can do it for £300 including skim, gasket, and bolts. Im based in Swansea.

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 22:15
stan if you could do that tomorrow i would pay you. How far away from me are you? I wouldn't wanna set off in fear of not making it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LoJhNWusrU

thats a clip of what it runs like now.

Rob what else could it be if plumes of white smoke is coming out the back with rough running? And my coolant either boils or dissapears :(

stan
05-01-2007, 22:25
Well,,,it would maybe make it if you kept the coolant topped up...

If not phone the RAC/AA a few miles down the road, and get them to bring you. :D

where are you based? do a route planner on www.theaa.co.uk

Im in Swansea

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 22:43
holy shit mate you are miles away, im in south yorkshire :( Damn it!! Did you listen to the clip?

Coops
05-01-2007, 22:50
where are u man? i can come have a look/diagnosis help on sunday if u need

AmDaMan
05-01-2007, 23:23
I'm in Sheffield mate, what did you make of the clip?

Coops
05-01-2007, 23:27
i know ur in sheff fool :lol: so am i! :wink:

sounds ropey but my speakers are shite, so be better see it in person!

AmDaMan
06-01-2007, 00:22
up in grenoside pm me your number and ill txt ya

donsrno1
06-01-2007, 01:54
I would definately get it checked out properly so that you 100% if it's the gasket or not. When I had the 16v I hadn't bled the system properly and it caused all sorts of problems, obviously it sounds as though yours could be the head gasket but I would get it tested properly before rushing into anything.

Clio_GTT
06-01-2007, 12:26
Halfords sell compression testers for about £15 easiest way to see if its gone on the fire ring - which it sounds like it has. Sounds like its gone between the fire ring and water way and the water is passing into the chamber and the pressure is pressurising the water system too.

AmDaMan
06-01-2007, 12:59
is it likely to have damaged my head or block?

AmDaMan
06-01-2007, 12:59
edit: also if they skim my head does this affect my compression?

clowo16v
06-01-2007, 13:27
That sounds like a hg as gone sounds like its running on 2 cylinders lol.

Matt

AmDaMan
06-01-2007, 13:32
ha ha i know mate, sounds like a bad lawnmower, is this likely to have damaged my block or my head?

VIPERONE
06-01-2007, 13:50
it may warp your head, thus requiring a reskim.. get it to stans for a head rebuild etc.

If you could refit the head etc i could rebuild the head for £150-£200 with a years warranty

clowo16v
06-01-2007, 13:54
Will be able to check its flat tho with a straightedge. Theres a company in monk bretton near barnsley that have done the machine work on most of my engines they're very good

Matt

VIPERONE
06-01-2007, 13:56
white smoke is def water related.. oil is blue/black.

i'd get the head pressure tested.. one of my heads had a hairline crack in.. hence when it was tested it pissed out oil etc. i scrapped it in and recuperated some money as it was ally

cliolord
06-01-2007, 17:57
I'm in Sheffield mate, a member of here called ronsvalver help me put the engine in and it was so fun despite the idle problems, now this has happened.

The daft thing is I had a head gasket but we didn't fit it while the engine was out..

I really don't fancy taking it out again, it was such a bugger to get in.

damn. 2 Things to do with any second hand engine;
-head gasket (cylinder head face-off/head bolts/head set)
-Timing belt/tensioner/guide

If the mileage is over 80K ish or unknown, replace shells/bearings/rings

But this isnt helping you :lol: I would gladly help you if you were closer mate, for sure. I love driving my hybrid, awsome!