PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing..Any special way to fit?

fab
04-01-2007, 14:22
Just had one replaced but had the hub off and handed it to the guy with the bench press.
Still hear a rumbling(slightly different from before the bearing change) grinding noise when cornering at certain speed.

schakal
04-01-2007, 14:29
may be it was the wrong bearing .
have you seen the one that came off the hub??

also when they do this job in a garage ,they spin the wheel
after fitting the new bearing to confirm its working fine .
obviously you did not have that chance .
but once happened to me ,the fella buggered the new bearing
while fitting and noticed straight after.

the moral of the story ,jack the damm car up and start spinning the
wheels boyo :P

hank3944
04-01-2007, 14:56
I just changed the discs on my williams. I didnt realize at the time but the bearings are in the discs at the front. I had to re-use the old bearings which i dont normally do! I must have damaged one either removing it or replacing it and now it rumbles when you steer right at speed. You should be able to tell because when you jack the car up there should be some slight movement up and down on the wheel.

Basically its wheel off time for me. :cry:

hank3944
04-01-2007, 14:56
I just changed the discs on my williams. I didnt realize at the time but the bearings are in the discs at the front. I had to re-use the old bearings which i dont normally do! I must have damaged one either removing it or replacing it and now it rumbles when you steer right at speed. You should be able to tell because when you jack the car up there should be some slight movement up and down on the wheel.

Basically its wheel off time for me. :cry:

donsrno1
04-01-2007, 15:27
^^^ bearings aren't in the discs at the front, only at the rear!

fab
04-01-2007, 16:01
Yep mine is doing it steering to the right.(its the nearside wheel bearing)

The mechanic seems to think its an engine mount (the battery one)as he says the engine is shifting to the left and putting pressure on the shaft or something.

The part was from GSF and I think they are the same almost right through the renault range.

Well I was gonna do the mounts anyhow but looks like it will be a new bearing also.Hope its not the CV joint buggered. :cry:

hank3944
04-01-2007, 17:57
^^^ bearings aren't in the discs at the front, only at the rear!

yerra know!

:roll:

hank3944
04-01-2007, 17:59
any movement on your wheel? (and not circular before any funny guys say it!)

:)

Lunner
04-01-2007, 18:03
Jack it up and spin the wheels boyo, could be the rear one?

Could be the other side, i had one go ont eh oppersite side, it was making a noise when it was unloaded :?

david932
04-01-2007, 18:45
up and down movement is normally for checking ball joints.

if the bearing is that buggered that you have movent in the wheel when you jack it up you will have movement in every plane

david932
04-01-2007, 18:50
oh and to answer your question.

the best way to fit the front bearing is with a press but you need to make sure you use a dummy that only sits on the outer shell. u should never press them in from the inner race.

the rear can be hammered in using the outer shell of the bearing removed :wink:

Andyvalver
04-01-2007, 18:52
Probably changred the wrong bearing mate. I did the front only to find out it was the rear once :x lol

richy
04-01-2007, 20:34
doubt it was a wrong bearing tbh,

id get it jacked up mate, check for any movement from the bearing, although it dont mean there will be any movement in it, also listen for any noises from it again, have u checked the hub nut (driveshaft) is tightened correctly too.

if its been pressed in and they put to much pressure on the inner race it may have damaged the bearing itself.

fab
05-01-2007, 16:15
Swapped out the battery side engine mount and the noise is gone.Even though the old one appeared to be fine with the new one in place its feels much firmer.
I was lifting up the rear wheel when cornering for it to rumble.

Well my work is done,spent all of christmas renewing the suspension and boy are these cars addictive!

Hope to see you's this summer perhaps.

All the best and thanks for the advice and tips.

richy
05-01-2007, 23:30
glad its sorted!

yes they are addictive lol been working on all 3 of mine lol got a busy weekend too! :o