PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell stromba......

Lunner
02-01-2007, 22:13
....he is wrong in his translation of the clio cup spec thingy

In it he stats that the cup had a manual rack, it in fcat has a PAS rack, and the PAS pump is droven directly from the o/s end of the inlet camshaft

Please.....i'll await his reply

BigBoreBri
02-01-2007, 22:16
Oh dear... hook.. bait... fishing rod :roll:

nyk
02-01-2007, 22:25
LOL

Dont think you'll find anyone brave enuf to tell him for ya Tom!!

Lunner
02-01-2007, 22:28
hes a pussy cat, even more so in person, he doesn't speak to me any longer and me vice versa

u33db
02-01-2007, 23:00
Aye but can someone confirm that group a spec is the same as a cup racer spec?

Reason being that i know rob got a cup racer manual rack and pas pump removal idler pulley off hillpower but as you say, the group a pdfs (page 121) show otherwise? Is there a difference between these specs...i.e.rally (grp a) got PAS but track (cup) cars didn't?

:?

clowo16v
02-01-2007, 23:21
Group A rally and cup spec is different.

Matt

Lunner
02-01-2007, 23:44
Thats why then

u33db
02-01-2007, 23:46
Seems a bit daft tho...group a having pas? I mean, its not like the manual setup is any heavier or takes that much more effort to turn so i'd have thought they'd have plunked for a manual setup for that too?

Lunner
02-01-2007, 23:50
i'm guessing its cus when ur rallying your spinning it fron locl to lock with one hand whilst changing gears with other

schakal
02-01-2007, 23:54
i will let stromba know than yess ?? :lol:

u33db
03-01-2007, 00:00
i'm guessing its cus when ur rallying your spinning it fron locl to lock with one hand whilst changing gears with other

Yeah probably.

Just meaning that when i manual'd my 16v it felt lighter/easier compared to PAS at anything above 0mphs so i can't see why they'd sacrifice the power?

Christian
03-01-2007, 00:35
Just meaning that when i manual'd my 16v it felt lighter/easier compared to PAS at anything above 0mphs so i can't see why they'd sacrifice the power?

<thread hijak>
Is that easy/cheap to do?

:D

u33db
03-01-2007, 09:02
Is that easy/cheap to do?

:D

Its all relative!

Parts wise; you need manual column from 1.2/1.4, manual rack, 1.7 alternator mounts and belt.

Labour wise; drop subframe out, swap columns, swap racket, remove PAS pump and all piping, fit new setup.

Parts can be head for under a hundred if you're not fussed about having new, labour will be guts of 2-300 at a garage.

Zollo
03-01-2007, 10:05
Group A spec Clios were the pinnacle of motorsport development within the boundries of regulations back in the day...the Cup Clios were just track prepared Valvers with Williams suspension! I'd be surprised if there were many parts that were even the same.

As Lunner pointed it, by its very nature you need very quick and responsive steering in rallying to be able to guide the car along narrow and very bumpy country roads with loose surfaces making constant corrections very quickly. Plus, they have whopping 17-inch wheels that would weight the steering up loads. Cup cars are driven on smooth, predictable circuits where minal steering inputs should be made, so light steering isn't as neccessary.

As to which you prefer, like everything else it's personal preference....

stan
03-01-2007, 11:45
any apologise to be passed on tom?! :lol:

stan
03-01-2007, 12:01
Tom,

'thanks for the concern tom, but i think my translation is pretty acurate. Oh and the fact that i recently until now owned a Cup Race car manual steering rack kind of highlights the truth behind the matter. Oh and the translation is for the european Cup Race Series, not the UK series. Oh and youre gay for starting this thread'

Rob

schakal
03-01-2007, 12:12
:lol:

http://www.birkoph.com/owned/owned_help.jpg

J o n
03-01-2007, 12:28
this one-upmanship is getting a bit long in the tooth, lets try and keep it reasonably sensible as I dont like having threads locked if it can be helped. I've had my run ins with Rob PLENTY of times in the past and it's deffo better to just sort them out in person, would be nice if the two clubs could work together, but I cant see that ever happening unfortunately...

jay s
03-01-2007, 15:45
Group A spec Clios were the pinnacle of motorsport development within the boundries of regulations back in the day...the Cup Clios were just track prepared Valvers with Williams suspension! I'd be surprised if there were many parts that were even the same.

As Lunner pointed it, by its very nature you need very quick and responsive steering in rallying to be able to guide the car along narrow and very bumpy country roads with loose surfaces making constant corrections very quickly. Plus, they have whopping 17-inch wheels that would weight the steering up loads. Cup cars are driven on smooth, predictable circuits where minal steering inputs should be made, so light steering isn't as neccessary.

why the hell did they use 17's as we all know 15's are loads better, was it some rule they had to all run 17's?

MAXIBOY
03-01-2007, 16:11
works cars ran 17,s loose and 18,s tarmac because the advantages of huge brakes and larger tyres out way the disadvantages of slightly increased unsprung weight and rotational mass. also works teams run mag rims and 280bhp so the larger rims have more benefits than disadvantages. my large 18,s and 325mm discs and 4 pots why only 4kgs more than the standard turbines and cast iron calipers did. but the increased levels of traction and braking performance far out way the slightly increased unsprung weight gain.

Lunner
03-01-2007, 17:28
this one-upmanship is getting a bit long in the tooth, lets try and keep it reasonably sensible as I dont like having threads locked if it can be helped. I've had my run ins with Rob PLENTY of times in the past and it's deffo better to just sort them out in person, would be nice if the two clubs could work together, but I cant see that ever happening unfortunately...

Bit like the pot calling the kettle black ain't it :lol:

cliorod
03-01-2007, 17:50
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture442.jpg
Hi this is the PAS set up for the Grp A rally cars,to give you some idea of cost ~~ the pump is around £1800,the cover is £1400,
I would have thought the Clio spec racers as a relatively low cost championship :roll: ,would not have used such expensive items ~~ NOT saying they did not though. :wink: [/url]

Zollo
03-01-2007, 18:45

why the hell did they use 17's as we all know 15's are loads better, was it some rule they had to all run 17's?

Everything that Maxiboy says, plus also a different requirements - Rally drivers don't give a poop about feedback, feel, adjustability and balance; particularly not in the context of having fun anyway. They just want a car that can go absolutely as quickly as possible, down to the last tenth of a second, without throwing them into a bush.

Plus Group A components and suspension setups will be designed to work perfectly with the bigger wheels. Group A cars designed only for driving flat-out don't have much in common with road cars.

At least, that's my take on it anyway :)

J o n
04-01-2007, 14:41

Bit like the pot calling the kettle black ain't it :lol:

I've had my fair share of run ins like I said, but we're trying to keep all that crap off the forum Tom, hence my response. It's never going to get better with threads designed to just bait him is it?

Rich
04-01-2007, 14:53
correctamundo jesus. glad to see more people are becoming awaree of this fact! like you said previosuly it would be good for the 2 sites to work together... but we all know it wont happen due to too many haters now for one reason or another

summeh
04-01-2007, 14:57
1400quid for a metal cover? bloody hell.

Lunner
04-01-2007, 17:58
correctamundo jesus. glad to see more people are becoming awaree of this fact! like you said previosuly it would be good for the 2 sites to work together... but we all know it wont happen due to too many haters now for one reason or another

Hey, i was mates with him before he pissed me off

white16valver
04-01-2007, 20:03
works cars ran 17,s loose and 18,s tarmac because the advantages of huge brakes and larger tyres out way the disadvantages of slightly increased unsprung weight and rotational mass. also works teams run mag rims and 280bhp so the larger rims have more benefits than disadvantages. my large 18,s and 325mm discs and 4 pots why only 4kgs more than the standard turbines and cast iron calipers did. but the increased levels of traction and braking performance far out way the slightly increased unsprung weight gain.
really?! :shock:

They must have been rapid... (and very expensive LoL)

Laine_16v
04-01-2007, 20:18
1400quid for a metal cover? bloody hell.

I guess not that many were made, they were priced at that because of the rather substantial cost of making a rig just for that type of cover, therefore to make any sort of money back they charge extortionate prices for something very little.

Typical Renault.

fasterthanjesus
04-01-2007, 20:33
can somebody tell him he looks like h from steps.

richy
04-01-2007, 20:37
:yap:

u33db
04-01-2007, 22:18
can somebody tell him he looks like h from steps.

Steps fan! PMSL! :)

FATBOY
04-01-2007, 22:36
^^^^^^^^ :lol:

u33db
04-01-2007, 22:44
Just to confirm, that referred more to the poster lol

stan
04-01-2007, 23:07
Im gonna tell him...thats actually quite funny :lol: