PDA

View Full Version : Too Good To Be True....

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 16:15
So, yesterday, the guy finishes my car and delivers it my house, sooo happy. So me and my mate go out for a drive, with me driving like a granny so i can properly run the engine in and that, and all of a sudden theres a slight whine from the gearbox, which i thought okay, was a cheap gearbox so not expecting it to be good, but then all or a sudden it just went mental, so loud, it sounds like its chewing something up in the gearbox in 1st and 2nd, 3rd doesnt work, 4th is the only gear that properly works and thats debatable, 5th doesnt work either. So disappointed its unreal, and to top it off, my phone screen broke for no aparent reason. So you could say the worst new year ever :(

£500 quid for a recon gearbox
£100+ for a new phone.

Now for your guys help, wat shall i do about the gearbox problem? obviously i cant go and buy a decent recon gearbox, but is there a way in which i can use a different gearbox from the 16v one? Me and the person that did the conversion were talking bout wat we could do, buy a renault recon 16v gearbox, a williams one, but we thought that might not work as its set up for more power and torque so i might make the car sluggish. We then talked about the rsi gearbox, wen i planning on taking to LTR in birmingham, they sed they were making a custom job to fit and rsi gearbox to a valver for, not sure how they were going to do it.

So wat do u guys think i should do? Any help would be superb.

Cheers
Nick

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 16:17
Dam not edit button, the reason by me saying get an rsi gearbox is that ive heard that they are good and strong gearboxs that last, which is wat im looking for.

Andy P
01-01-2007, 16:20
Williams box has the same ratios as a 16v, bar 5th which is a longer gear!

can pick up 2nd hand box's dead cheap, just take the risk mate. Most breakers on here are pretty genuine.

Look at it this way, you've now spent your £500 :lol:

Also you can get a new willy box from Renault for £650 i think

nyk
01-01-2007, 16:23
I have never heard an RSi gearbox to be any better than any of the other crappy boxes renault made.

The williams box is sure fire the strongest but finding one will be a hard task.

I would get your own re built, if you buy a second hand box you are always taking a risk in my opinion.
Least if you have yours rebuilt you will get a guarantee with it. I think there is a place in preston, a contact of Cliorod's that does it for a reasonable price, but that is a bit far from you??!!

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 16:25
Are they a lot stronger tho the williams gearboxs, i really want a gearbox thats going to fai on me, with the renault ones, they come with a 2 year garrenty, but i know that if i was to break, they wud slip there way out of replacing it.

DaveH
01-01-2007, 16:29
a willy box would be fine. They are more up to the job than the valver one because they have stronger bearings etc. It wouldnt make the car more sluggish at all its just more capable of putting up with higher outputs/abuse. iirc the ratios are slightly different.

The problem is the cost. they generally go for 3-times more than a valver box so id say youll probably be fine with a good recon unit to save yourself some money. Id only go further if i was planning on drastically upping the power output of the engine and even then the valver box might be fine!

MatBrown
01-01-2007, 16:31
Are they a lot stronger tho the williams gearboxs, i really want a gearbox thats going to fai on me, with the renault ones, they come with a 2 year garrenty, but i know that if i was to break, they wud slip there way out of replacing it.

Yeah, they would say it was a fitting error, had that.
Warranty is only 12 months.

Mat.

richy
01-01-2007, 16:33
the williams box JC5 is the stronger box, you would be best off getting one of them, when mine went in the williams i got a new one from work(renault) and so far done 6k on it, first thing it did was a trackday lol still works perfect 18month on after a few trackdays and alot of thrashing!

btw you will only get 12month parts warrenty from renault normally, you would have to pay for a warrenty to cover it more

DaveH
01-01-2007, 16:35
Just checked the for sale section. Winston is selling a willy box for 150 "try before you buy"! Hes a bit far away from you as well. To put it into perspective you could buy a valver one for 50 but as nyk says you never know what your buying unless you have one rebiult by a reputable company.

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 16:38
In reply to nyk, i could get it rebuilt, but preston is a trek and i dont know how long it wud take, kinda looking for one quickly....

And Dave, wudnt it just be easier to go to renault and pick up a williams gearbox, may be a lot of money, but, it will come with a warrenty and they have sorted the problem with that surclip or watever which made the gearboxs so shit.

Andy P
01-01-2007, 16:45
imo its shit and erratic driving which kills the box. let it warm up like you do with the engine and along with slick changes and some decent mounts and it should be fine.

unless you plan on running silly power :lol:

DaveH
01-01-2007, 18:05
Yes mate ultimately that would be a lot easier to do.

its each to their own, sure you'll get your parts warranty and the chances of any problems are minimal so you wouldnt have to worry about it. I just think that your problem could be sorted a lot cheaper but if your willing to spend the money on a new box then that is probably the most reliable option.

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 18:13
Well its the easier and expensive way, but i just have the assurance there that its going to be good and dont have to take risks. I have 2 gearboxs atm, both ****ed, one being with the engine wen i got it and one that i brought that i was told was "alright", i could send one away to be rebuilt but im looking for a quick fix, and one where i dont have to travel far to get parts cos i have no form of transport now :cry:

VIPERONE
01-01-2007, 18:29
172 cupbox

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 18:30
arent they the same as the williams box? and surely more expensive?

clowo16v
01-01-2007, 18:39
Not sure what car you've got as if yours is 1997 its too late to be a valver or willy.

The willy/valver box will fit the non 16v engines but you'll need to get rid of the engine brace thing that runs between the bellhousing and engine.

The custom one you mentioned will be a RSi gearbox bolted onto a 16v bellhousing.

Matt

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 19:05
Ive got a 16v engine in my clio, ive done an engine conversion

clowo16v
01-01-2007, 19:12
Ah rite. The non 16v boxes fit but you can only use the top 8 bellhousing bolts.

Matt

u33db
01-01-2007, 19:32
RSI box is just a JB3 so isn't going to be any stronger.

JB1s (which have been fitted to 16vs) seem to last well and generally don't go pop like the JB3's but if you're going for more power it might be risky?

Nick16v
01-01-2007, 19:35
yeah will be, got a few plans up me sleeve, will probs go with the willy box the jc5 right? may be expensive but i know its the better gearbox...

u33db
01-01-2007, 19:37
Ah prob a safer bet if you've the cash. There are JC5's from other renaults tho which might save some cash...think gunner had a megane box in his which should be much cheaper...think the kangoo boxes are JC5's too.

Gav
01-01-2007, 20:03
Stromba has a good williams box for sale

My mate has a williams box in his valver and it pulls like a train

Gav

McPikie
01-01-2007, 20:10
My box has just started slipping out of 5th when it's been on the mway for 15mins or so.

Could just be a mount issue though

VIPERONE
01-01-2007, 20:11
When it rains it pours!

McPikie
01-01-2007, 20:27
When it rains it pours!

Tell me about it, ungrateful shite that car is.

Might not lower it now, just to spite it

nyk
01-01-2007, 22:14
Maybe its your driving style pikie?? :wink:

Just a thought.......

LOL

Lee Keefy
01-01-2007, 22:28
Might not lower it now, just to spite it

Yeah you tell it Phil!!!!

McPikie
02-01-2007, 00:03
Maybe its your driving style pikie?? :wink:

Just a thought.......

LOL

Drive it like ya stole it........... it's the way forward :lol:

Yeah you tell it Phil!!!!

On second thoughts, get your TT fluid out mate :wink:

nyk
02-01-2007, 01:19
PMSL

Why am i not surprised??!!!??

If you want a car blown up, give it to Pikie for a few days!! LOL

McPikie
02-01-2007, 12:18
Or just let Rochdale_Williams loose with your bleed valve :lol:

Daz.
02-01-2007, 14:19
How come people have so much trouble with gearboxes? I understand they're not the strongest things in the world but I've give both my cars abuse over the years - one on 108k the other 87k and they're perfectly fine?

I don't get it - lol have I been lucky or am I too nice to my cars? :shock:

clowo16v
02-01-2007, 14:28
Too nice lol

Matt

Flan
02-01-2007, 17:47
valver box £100 fitting £150 or so. thats what i usually charge and done in a day.

Bobs your Uncle :wink:

MatBrown
02-01-2007, 17:50
Bobs your Uncle :wink:

My uncles name is Nelson!

Mat.

Nick16v
02-01-2007, 19:15
Well today went to renault to see about the prices of gearboxs..... A 16v box was £486 + VAT, also having to do give one of my two ****ed boxes back to them so they can recon and make more money off somone else. For the williams box it was 650ish + VAT, and u have to hand a willy box back in, otherwise u have to pay a surcharge of 170 + VAT. So looks like no willy gearbox for me from renault. I tried to ask about a kangoo and megane gearbox, as someone sed, that they are are jc5 same as the willy, but the guy was arrogant and sed to me that i needed a reg number, even tho i didnt give him one for the williams and he got a price for me. So im still in a dilemma as to at to do, if i was to buy one second hand, u dont know wat might be worng with it, as i have found out, buying one by someone off the this forum too and them saying that theres no problem with it, and having it a couple of hours and it being ruined. So its hard to say wat to do, cos i could buy a willy box second hand, being stronger and all, but still could be ****ed and then id have to pay for two sets of labour and two gearboxs?

Wat shall i do, need one asap tho as the guy doesnt really want to keep the car on his drive for much longer.

Cheers
Nick

nyk
02-01-2007, 21:56
get yours refurbed!!

You will get a guarantee with it. They will only refurb it the same as renault. Look for a local transmission company and have a ring round for some prices.

:lol:

david932
02-01-2007, 22:25
in a refurb they only replace the damaged parts so 1 bearings that wasn't already damaged could go 50miles after the refurb.

reno recon boxes are old casings with all new internals.

altho personally i would risk it again..

3rd time lucky

Lunner
02-01-2007, 22:27
Buy Winston's williams box for £150, you can see it working if you want

clowo16v
02-01-2007, 23:20
Think you'll be flat out about 120mph max with a kangoo box.

Matt

Nick16v
03-01-2007, 17:53
Think you'll be flat out about 120mph max with a kangoo box.

Matt

But, surely it wud get there bloody quick if its like shorter ratios.

Anyways, went to camberly auto factors in my area, they charge 400 + VAT for a 16v box, and because i work for BT i get 25% off all parts,s so its cuts out the VAT and a bit off the price, just going to risk another 16v box, as someone sed, third time lucky :lol:

DaveH
03-01-2007, 19:51
If you manage to get a good 16v box you should have no problems whatsoever because they are up to the job if looked after and not thrashed. Just make sure that you know its a good one.

clowo16v
03-01-2007, 20:14
Yeh it would do. Nick Hill used one it was rapid but blew up quickish i think.

Matt