PDA

View Full Version : A Close Shave

El_Douglito
30-12-2006, 16:21
Hey folks, sorry for the length of this one, but I though after the brown trouser moment of a few moths ago when I had a high speed rear tyre blow out you guys might be interested in the next episode in motoring mayhem on the same bit of road.

Having been away for a little while, today was the first time in a couple of weeks I’d had the pleasure of driving the Willy. Unfortunately high winds, a super storm and a near encounter with an M3 nearly curtailed the fun.

Driving to my mum’s home along the A38 I came to the Plymouth Marsh Mills fly-over and being atrocious conditions I backed right off to about 50-60ish (70 limit on dual carriageway). While cruising over a super gust of wind blew in off the estuary and nudged me off course and into a deep puddle of standing water next to the armco barrier. Firmly pushing the brake pedal, ABS whuring and tyres aquaplaning I managed to correct the line and point the car back in a straight line. It was at this point I noticed the brand new M3, which had just fractionally passed me at about 70. He was hit by the same gust, which caused the tail to snap out and sent it veering into the armco. The M3 then rebounded into my path about 20 meters ahead of me, spinning with the full force of a high-speed accident. Fortunately I was able to instinctively point the Williams into the decreasing gap in the outside lane, squirt the throttle and squeeze through unharmed.

Shakily I started to digest what had just happened and it became clear how lucky I was that 1, the Beemer didn’t T-bone me, 2, I had the common sense to slow on a part prone to crosswinds and didn’t panick when the handling went very light 3, I wasn’t collected by the BMW on rebound from the barrier, 4, I wasn’t hit by any shrapnel off the M3 and 5, I was driving a Williams 3 with ABS and sharp handling.

Driving back the opposite way about half an hour later I noticed the same Beemer being loaded on a truck with the front end deposited over much of the inside lane and passengers sheepishly standing by taking insurance pics and most importantly I think they were all unharmed.

Having witnessed the incident at first hand, do I now need to make a police statement and try to get in touch or because there was only 1 party involved is this a private issue now between the M3 owners and their insurers?

MatBrown
30-12-2006, 16:56
Yeah, no-one else was involved/injured so just let him sort it out with his insurance himself.

Mat.

clowo16v
30-12-2006, 17:11
Don't need to contact police, but I would have at least have stopped and made sure they were OK, and to warn other traffic that there was a car in the middle of the road.

Matt

wavy
30-12-2006, 17:13
:shock: lucky escape m8

VIPERONE
30-12-2006, 17:21
tut tut

:roll:

Lunner
30-12-2006, 17:41
Don't need to contact police, but I would have at least have stopped and made sure they were OK, and to warn other traffic that there was a car in the middle of the road.

Matt

Ditto

Lucky excape, but outa interest when aquaplaning did you just jump on the brakes??

You are about the first person to praise the ABS lol

DaveH
30-12-2006, 18:11
That sounds like a lucky escape indeed. I find that early abs systems are more worrying than anything else, far too slow and vicious, the later ecu controlled systems are good but im still not an abs fan, i suppose i might be one day when i need it and dont have it! Depends on the situation really

El_Douglito
30-12-2006, 18:42
I completely understand the sentiments of stopping, checking and making sure the anyone in the accident was ok, however the incident occurred on a 70mph flyover, with no hard shoulder and very close to a heavily used dual slip road, filtering system leading cars onto the dual carriageway. The closest place to stop safely would have been about half a mile from the incident and that would have required crossing 2 lanes of accelerating vehicles to return on foot. To drive to the scene of the accident would have taken about10-15 minutes, in which time somebody following who would have seen the incident from a distance should have had time to stop.

It’s funny how the incident keeps replaying in my mind. I know the passengers were ok, but it still doesn’t feel real. I guess it shows the safety merits of BMW. Not sure how the Clio would have survived.

BTW, I did, give the brakes a fairly good work out, but didn’t just slam them recklessly. I applied pressure gently, firmly, then through gritted teeth, while trying to be calm with the wheel. Well I think I did this, however to be honest it all happened so quickly I may just have soiled myself.

clio_rsi_turbo
31-12-2006, 16:36
luckey escape!

i thought putting your brakes on while aquaplanning, was what your NOT ment to do??!!

Lunner
31-12-2006, 19:03
Its not lol, he was lucky

VIPERONE
31-12-2006, 23:57
Aquaplaning is when a wedge of water builds up aganst your front tyres and lifts the tread up so that there is less contact between the tyre and the road. If the speed of the car is sufficiently high the tyres are lifted completely off the road and steering control is completely lost.

to regain control...Take your foot off the accelerator. This removes the power to the drive wheels

de clutch

decelerate via engine compression

any adverse manoeuvres actions such as braking steering harshly will cause you to crash...or may cause you to crash