PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt

Allan
30-12-2006, 14:26
Anyone know what happens if you are slightly out on the cambelt, reading the haynes it says your idle will be wrong, obviosuly not massively out as it would damage stuff, but say 1 or 2 teeth out either way....

how much can you be out and would it idle higher or less?

Lunner
30-12-2006, 15:34
depends my mates golf was out and it just lacked any sort of power

You did it yourself didn't you?

Allan
30-12-2006, 16:13
yeah, it drives fine, but either i have knocked a vacume hose or cam belt is out :/

It idles at 1500 on start up then after a blast it goes back to 900 then slowly goes back to 1500 over time, when i say blast i mean getting it to the limiter foot to the floor then letting it idle .

I checked the belt though and when i cranked it over TDC came back around and all the marks lined up (red dots), how ever after cranking it over the white lines on the belt were out

MatBrown
30-12-2006, 16:52
how ever after cranking it over the white lines on the belt were out

Yeah, it would take a lot of rotations to get the markings on the belt to line up with the pulleys again.

Mat.

Lunner
30-12-2006, 17:47
As above, i'd say its a sensor/vacumn hose you've knocked, ahve a look at the idle problems in the guides section

Cambelt being off wont' give those symptoms, and if it lined back up when you checked it then it will be fine, as mat says it takes alot of rotations for the marks to line up again

Allan
30-12-2006, 23:17
ta guys will check it out new years day i suppose :S