PDA

View Full Version : Not much history, should I buy?!

willywannabe
30-12-2006, 13:54
Hi, new boy here, am looking at a Willams 3 with a mere 45k on the clock, however the service history is patchy at best. Plus the front end could do with a respray (plenty of stone chips) and the rear arches need a bit of TLC due to some minor bubbling of the paintwork.

It's got new tyres, brakes, wheels are in good nick, and the car itself looks pretty clean and tidy, interior included, I'm just worried about the engine blowing up on me in the future if it's not been well-looked after.

Will probably get a Green Flag inspection anyway once I've been for a test drive.

Any pointers from anyone here?

Cheers,
Mike

Andy
30-12-2006, 14:01
wow on the front respray you will de value your car

find out if the body work is original and verify the mileage look at old mots ring round the garages where it has been serviced ect ...

it is low mileage one especialy a 3 look for crash damage

engine is a worry but you are buying an old car just listen for nocking and look for smoke ect

get some pics posted of it

willywannabe
30-12-2006, 14:21
So if I get a front respray that's not a good thing for future value then? Didn't know it would be such a bad thing, especially on a car whose front end seems to be designed specifically to attract stone chips!

Bodywork seems original, have seen all the old MOTs and some history, just need to make some checks with the garage that did the work though.

2 previous owners, first owned it up to 43k, current owner bought a year ago and has added another couple of thousand.

Battery currently flat so when a new one is fitted, I'll hopefully be going for a test drive.

Andy P
30-12-2006, 14:28
I wouldnt worry too much about the engines, they are hard as nails. Its the rest of the car thats the problem :lol:

See when the cambelt was last done, it may not have been done with only 45k on the clock. But imo should be done!

I dont think its a bad thing if the front end needs a bit of paint, it just shows that its unlikey to have been in a smack.

Martin
30-12-2006, 14:29
Check heaters, electric windows, dials/lights all work.....oil pressure should be 5 bar from cold.....

Gearboxs are expensive items to replace so give it a good workover dropping down a gear at reasonably high revs to check for crunching.

Rust spots are rear arches, subframe, tailgate mainly...at 45k the interior should be mint....Oh and check for a leaky sunroof they are common....can cause rust if roof lining is saturated.

willywannabe
30-12-2006, 15:10
Cambelt was done by current owner, so about 43K, so that's one less thing to worry about.

No obvious signs of sunroof leaking which was good, just need to check electrics once a new battery has gone in.

Thanks for the advice, will let you know how the drive goes, hope to be a fully paid-up member of the Willy Club soon..!

Zollo
30-12-2006, 15:41
I'm pretty sure the front-end respray comment was meant in jest; don't let that put you off if it needs it.