PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had to change their driving style on new tyres?

Daz.
29-12-2006, 23:59
I've noticed these new eagle f1's (same size and rating etc.. Identical to my last set) are very 'flighty' compared to my old ones - the rears decided to come out to play much much more than the last set and I've had to basically take it easy where before I could lauch into a corner..

Is that because they have a shit load of tread and are just new?

I realised the other day of all the tyres I've had on my cars these are the first set that have been brand new!

clowo16v
30-12-2006, 00:20
From my experience they take a few miles to wear in.

Matt

MatBrown
30-12-2006, 01:41
Have you checked the pressures?

Mat.

Daz.
30-12-2006, 01:54
first thing I did and they were the same as the others - I might try dropping the rears a bit actually might be a bit too high for fresh tyres..

nyk
30-12-2006, 02:02
mmm

I actually found when I put a full set of brand spanker F1's on my car that the back end seemed surer, and it was less flighty.

tho its different on every car with different set ups etc int it, mines on its arse so maybe thats why????

Daz.
30-12-2006, 02:38
maybe I should put the spare wheel back and the rest of the stuff boot related :oops: :lol:

Purple
30-12-2006, 02:53
Were you using another make/model of tyres before the F1s? The F1s tend to be more oversteery than others tyres (more so on slightly slippy surface). Let the tyres run in first, then play with the air pressure to suit your driving style.

bill.
30-12-2006, 10:50
sure someone once told me new tyres have like a plasticy type coating on them that makes them a bit shite at first, but once you've rubbed that off, they'll be spot on.

Lunner
30-12-2006, 11:16
You need to wear the tyres in, quickest way to do this is just put them on teh fronts and light teh wheels up a few times, failing that ym F1s on teh rear last time i ahve new uns on there took a good few hundred miles to wear in

clowo16v
30-12-2006, 13:53
Same as what I did Lunner, couple of quick burnouts on each pair of tyres and they're spot on.

Matt

Mattie
30-12-2006, 17:07
iv got 4 new F1s on mine....car dusnt handle well at all..front seems 2 spin on pull off sum times as well....but as said above i think its cuz they havnt covered many miles and need 2 be worn in!

clowo16v
30-12-2006, 17:18
Just get on a dry road and do a few wheelspin starts.

Matt

nyk
30-12-2006, 17:43
maybe I should put the spare wheel back and the rest of the stuff boot related :oops: :lol:

I do carry the spare plus I am carrying the weight of a sub and amp in tho boot. maybe thats why, I'm no expert.

As I said mine is very low at the back aswell.

:lol:

Daz.
02-01-2007, 16:37
Just to update everyone - they've come right now... fantastic the difference a set of boots makes!

I didn't end up spinning them up in the end just put 50 odd hard miles on them - playing on a large roundabout sorted the rears out pretty quickly! :lol:

MatBrown
02-01-2007, 16:57
You need to wear the tyres in, quickest way to do this is just put them on teh fronts and light teh wheels up a few times, failing that ym F1s on teh rear last time i ahve new uns on there took a good few hundred miles to wear in

Same as what I did Lunner, couple of quick burnouts on each pair of tyres and they're spot on.

Matt

The correct way to bed in new tyres is take them for a good run down the motorway, park up and let them cool, then take a good run back.

Mat.

Daz.
02-01-2007, 17:02
ahh well thats ok then as I did a 15 mile trip and back that very day :D

summeh
02-01-2007, 17:31

Matt

The correct way to bed in new tyres is take them for a good run down the motorway, park up and let them cool, then take a good run back.

Mat.

Also called "heat-cycling". Doing this correctly will improve the tyre wear, life and grip.

Doing burn outs to run them in isn't a good idea tbh.

stevie_b
02-01-2007, 18:16
Is that because they have a s**t load of tread and are just new?

I know you have said that they are now okay, but in part the above is true. When there is a lot of tread the blocks tend to move around a lot more freely. If you are using the car competitively there is a service on offer called 'buffing', which reduces this difference on new tyres. This effectively wears down the tyre until you have about 3-4mm of tread left, giving a good, consistent performance. The downside is that not only do you pay for the buffing to be performed but your tyres are worn out again pretty quick!