PDA

View Full Version : My Valver in ash grey (after fire)

Bayliss
04-05-2005, 20:19
driving along power went sluggish and then lots of smoke poured into cab so went to brake and pedal went to floor without slowing down, my suspicians are aimed at fuel pump ciezing bcos it pissed petrol or brake fluid onto hot exhaust and ignited the fuel therefore causing full car melt down!!

From this:-
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/bayliss064/Carpics001.jpg

to this:-
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/bayliss064/Carpics009.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/bayliss064/Carpics008.jpg

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 20:25
Fooking hell.

big hp
04-05-2005, 20:27
:shock:

At least your ok.

VIPERONE
04-05-2005, 20:46
have you quit smoking yet>?

Jamie.
04-05-2005, 20:50
well gutted for u, makes me feel that i should declare mods!

FATBOY
04-05-2005, 20:57
when did this happen mate????

Bayliss
04-05-2005, 21:11
saturday afternoon

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 21:59
And you only took it to GDI for an oil change.

Swervin_Mervin
04-05-2005, 22:02
**** me! :shock:

I see what people mean when they say the fuel lines are routed dangerously!

stan
04-05-2005, 22:18
PMSL @ KS!!!!!

Slithers
04-05-2005, 22:23
Right im getting new fuel lines as of next month, that must have been shit scary.

KingStromba
04-05-2005, 23:16
I have a fire extinguisher

BRUN
05-05-2005, 00:28
so do i, but hopefully ill never use it

think ill buy a second one now

MatBrown
05-05-2005, 01:25
Yeah,

The fuel lines can become very weak with age and are positioned not far from the exhaust.

Mat.

Purple
05-05-2005, 02:45
Any good information as to where would be the most vunerable part of the fuel system?

The picture of the burnt wreck is enough to convince me to overhaul the fuel lines, pumps whatever to avoid the same mishap. I carry a fire extingusher too, but there is no way to stop the fire spreading, if it starts from under the car. And you guys know that my car is, quite literally, irreplaceble here.

northy
05-05-2005, 07:49
really sorry to hear your call on saturday bayliss.....not having the best of luck with cars at the min mate.

Good luck with your next purchase.

WeZ01y
05-05-2005, 08:27
FOOOKIN ELL!
Sorry to hear that mate, that must have been one traumatic experience for you. Jesus christ, thats scary!

2 live
05-05-2005, 09:12
fukkin ell mate....its scary shit wen a car goes up in flames while ur drivin it innit

the reason why it scares me to wear a seatbelt lol...nearly burnt to death because of one......but at least u ok

n the smoked fog lights look quite cool actually hehe :wink:

Rudders16v
05-05-2005, 09:25
S*!t that looks bad, you must be well gutted. I remember when my old Calibra was recovered after being stolen it looked something like that, but to stand back and just have to watch your car burn........ can't even imagine it!

I've had a couple of leaks from a fuel pump on my 19 when i started using it, but me being me, just cut the end down where it was splitting and joined a new piece of pipe on........... think i'm going to order my new petrol pipes today now after seeing that

Makes you think what can happen when things really go wrong! And to think, most of us would normally think that a cambelt snapping or such like is the worst that could happen..........

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 10:27
Its gods way of telling you to get a Williams :D

big hp
05-05-2005, 12:34
Or buy my lovely naples valver in for sale :D

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 12:45
Caption competition

'GDi unveils first finished car from new body shop'

VIPERONE
05-05-2005, 12:49
The Hothatch, gets hotter than ever!

big hp
05-05-2005, 12:50
"Those bright "SPARKS" at GDI do it again"

KingStromba
05-05-2005, 12:51
After a fire at Reno, the marketing boys reveal the new 16v cup to use up some damaged parts.

u33db
05-05-2005, 13:07
Bloody hell, thats scary! :shock: Dunno why, but it made me think of this though - http://www.coded-solutions.com/car/misc_files/buff_this_out.wav :oops:

J o n
05-05-2005, 13:23
mate I'm so so sorry to hear about this, I really hope you get some money or whatever back for it to fund a new purchase. big shame as it was a lovely looking motor.

on another note how much are braided fuel lines, I feel a group buy coming on... no really

2 live
05-05-2005, 13:27
they dont need to be braided.....just routed correctly and differently to renos crappy positioning would be enuff

NickFr
05-05-2005, 13:31
Gutted....oops wrong word...seriously mate was a really smart motor, hope you get some good money back!

J o n
05-05-2005, 13:47
they dont need to be braided.....just routed correctly and differently to renos crappy positioning would be enuff

Jon, can you check mine sometime, as my car hasn't burnt down yet... so there's another thing it may want to do... :?

Andyvalver
05-05-2005, 13:51
****in hell. Unlucky mate, really upsetting to look at that.

How much are new fuel lines/pipes anyone?

Enid
05-05-2005, 14:58
Gutted for you mate!! Where would be the best place to route the fuel lines? Along the other side of the car? Makes me a tad nervous looking at that picture :shock:

Swervin_Mervin
05-05-2005, 22:46
Had a discussion about this elsewhere, I hope you don't mind! The people that I discussed it with reckon that it isn't the petrol. Petrol wouldn't ignite unless there was a naked flame. The lack of flame, even though there is plenty of heat, would mean the petrol wouldn't catch fire.

It was suggested that it's more likely to be brake fluid. Thniking about where the reservoir is on the clios this is prime suspect I reckon. It's only about 3 inches from the manifold.

Slithers
05-05-2005, 22:55
Had a discussion about this elsewhere, I hope you don't mind! The people that I discussed it with reckon that it isn't the petrol. Petrol wouldn't ignite unless there was a naked flame. The lack of flame, even though there is plenty of heat, would mean the petrol wouldn't catch fire.

It was suggested that it's more likely to be brake fluid. Thniking about where the reservoir is on the clios this is prime suspect I reckon. It's only about 3 inches from the manifold.

Benneton, Jos Verstappen Pitstop, 1994, German Grand Prix, this kinda disproves the whole needs a naked flame to ignite petrol theory. Read at the bottom.

http://saltire.weblogger.com/2003/04/24

Rich
05-05-2005, 23:15
well i know this could have happened after but i'm sure he noticed the smoke very early on and when he hit the peddle it went to the floor so i reckon it was the brake line

Bayliss
06-05-2005, 13:46
i'm pretty sure it was the brake line thats gone but i think this was bcos of either the heat shield was loose and has melted through a brakeline (passenger rear) which caused teh brakes to fail but at end of day i'm fine it was just an unfortunate accident which has occured and there is a lesson to be learned to carry a fire extinguisher and to check the car throughout to ensure that all heat shields are in place and teh car is in a safe working order!!!

Andy
06-05-2005, 17:20
fire extinguisher all round me thinks

Swervin_Mervin
06-05-2005, 23:14

Benneton, Jos Verstappen Pitstop, 1994, German Grand Prix, this kinda disproves the whole needs a naked flame to ignite petrol theory. Read at the bottom.

http://saltire.weblogger.com/2003/04/24

Only difference Matt though is that F1 fuel is far highe octance so will go up much more easily. Isn't it more like Kerosene?

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 00:07
F1 use 'pump' petrol which is exactly the same as you put in a road car, and has to be the same grade as fuel taken from fuel headed to a pump.

All flammable liquids have a flash point. The flash point is the lowest temperature at which the vapor of a combustible liquid can be made to ignite momentarily in air, and a spark is necessaru for this to occure. Autoignition is the temperature at which the fuel will automatically combust without a spark. Becuase petrol is premixed with air and in contact with a hot engine, it is advantageous that it has a very high autoignition temperture, or it would preignite in the chamber of the hot engine. The flash point of petrol is low, in that the engine is enough to warm the petrol above its flash point to allow the spark to combust the fuel.

The manifold temp would therefore have to be above the autoignition temp of petrol to cause autoignition. A spark would be necessary to cause flashpoint to be reached.

Flashpoint of petrol is less than 45 degrees centigrade.
Autoignition temp is 246 degrees centigrade.

For spilt petrol to ignite without a spark the temp would have to be 246 degrees centrigrade.

2 live
07-05-2005, 09:38
and the temp of a hot manifold??

think this is how the mini went up in flames.........partly me own fault for runnin without filters....but it backfired through one of the carbs, and i believe it spat a load of petrol onto the foam on the bulkhead, but it had also blown the top off the float chamber on one of the SU.s for some reason......

spilling petrol onto the fanimold...and goin up.....

KingStromba
07-05-2005, 11:20
Im not saying the manifold isnt hot enough to cause autoignition. Im just throwing some info into the public domain so we can discuss it.

Northys certainly looks hot when on a rr

Bayliss
07-05-2005, 16:09
it was no where near the manifold by the way guys
it was at the rear near the passenger rear wheel

summeh
09-05-2005, 13:45
gutted...

my fuel lines are retoued different and im glad they are now, the previous owner had a fuel leak twice in the past looking at the history so they finally decided to route them differently and i think they are routed quite well now... i can post pics later if you like, tis easy to do, and probably better, as you can check the condition of the pipes each time you pop the bonnet, which i do anyway.