PDA

View Full Version : Fueling Problem, Major Over Fueling. 5th injector?

cliolord
27-12-2006, 17:36
Right lads. I spent another day at work trying to get the engine started. Out came the spark plugs again and they were dripping wet with fuel. Dropped the airbox and airfilter off the throttle body and there was fuel in the airbox and all over the fuel filter. Opened the butterfly and more came out. Blasted an airline through the butterfly and about 100mill of fuel came out :roll: at this point I was quite worried and relieved that the engine hadn't blown up on cranking. After I had got the fuel out of the inlet and put NEW spark plugs in again, It fired up first click. As soon as it got hot (cooling fan came in - still idling at 1,800rpm) it spluttered and cut out again. Same problem, fuel in the inlet.

There is only 1 possible explanation for this IMO, the 5th injector (cold start) staying open? What should I do about this lads. Disconnect the 5th injector permenently, replace the williams ECU with the 16v ECU, replace some sensors for water temp if there are any others that control cold start (note, I have replaced the coolant temp sensor already with no effect).

Also, the idling problem at 1,800rpm...After blocking off the idle control valve, the revs dropped but only to around 1,300rpm. Removed cover from idle screw on throttle body and its right back off.

Anyone had the fueling problem before?

cliolord
27-12-2006, 17:38
***edit - fuel filter, I meant air filter :lol:

Lunner
27-12-2006, 17:47
not all models ahve the 5th (cold start) injector, disconnect it and see what happens, but defo sounds as tho its not shutting iff, coudl try gettng another one.

Might have one in the inlet manifold i ahve in my garden, yours for free if its still there

cliolord
27-12-2006, 17:49
Lunner, your a gem :lol: thanks but I do have another on in my 16v engine, looks a wee bit rusty though. I may disconnect the bloody thing and block the idle valve over and use the throttle screw idle adjustment instead. Get all that other crap out of my car. Plus its less weight! :lol: But seriously, all other options are welcome....

stan
27-12-2006, 19:34
is the map sensore pipe connected?

This is a favorite for making fuelling to cock!

cliolord
27-12-2006, 22:16
yup. Map sensor is in double checked that one today

cliolord
27-12-2006, 22:35
the sensor on the end of the inlet manifold (next to the map sensor pipe) is that to do with the map sensor itself, measuring air pressure?

stan
27-12-2006, 22:53
thats air temp.

cliolord
27-12-2006, 23:11
what else may cause it craig? Im thinking of trying the 16v ECU if that doesnt work i will probably disconnect it otherwise :roll:

stan
27-12-2006, 23:13
Have u tried disconecting the cold start injector?

cliolord
28-12-2006, 01:30
will do tomorrow mate. Let you know how it goes

Lunner
28-12-2006, 01:33
Have u tried disconecting the cold start injector?

thats what i sed :wink:

stan
28-12-2006, 12:15
yes, i know, but he never said if he had or not :wink:

cliolord
28-12-2006, 18:16
changed ECU for 16v ECU.Made no difference to idle or fueling for cold start valve. Disconnected cold start valve and it runs without over fueling from cold. Still idling high. Fault seems to be the inlet manifold gasket which I have just replaced :roll: so that is worse than putting the whole engine in again from the start. Total 100% nightmare. Sprayed brake cleaner along the top of the inlet until I hit the 2nd bolt from the left (timing cover side) and revs died out. Checked most of the bolts and they are all tight. I guess its alternator, power steering pump, lots of crappy hose mounts and lots of goodies to remove now :cry: All good things come to those who wait I guess

What switch's the cold start injector on? The technical books we have dont really say alot

summeh
28-12-2006, 20:21
I'm guessing the ECU via whatever info it gets back from sensors like the CTS and air temp sensor.