PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Rough Running - Any help would be appreciated

cliolord
23-12-2006, 21:40
After swapping looms over today and everything else that has been a total nightmare I finally got the engine started first turn of the key. It runs but Idle is a little fluctuant, it sounds like it's miss firing but it's not, the exhaust is pumping out serious amount of pressure.

Sounds to me like timing is out?

I removed the brand new Renault spark plugs and all 4 were black (over fueling??)

Obviously I did not let the engine warm up and switched it off.

The engine is running Vernier's and 261 cams...Will post pictures of the plugs up in a sec...Any ideas lads? Craig :(

cliolord
23-12-2006, 21:44
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/gazrawly/clio_F7R/IMG_2943.jpg

Riley
23-12-2006, 22:20
cams make a car run lumpy lower down the rev range, usually improves on tick over once the engine is warm. But still could be more too it than that. The things that could be wrong are endless, and vernier pulleys just adds to that. What are they set at?
Have you changed the dizzy cap and rotor lately, plug leads? Could also be a fueling problem etc etc

cliolord
23-12-2006, 22:27
cams make a car run lumpy lower down the rev range, usually improves on tick over once the engine is warm. But still could be more too it than that. The things that could be wrong are endless, and vernier pulleys just adds to that. What are they set at?
Have you changed the dizzy cap and rotor lately, plug leads? Could also be a fueling problem etc etc

It is really lumpy though, like a bloody drag car lol.

Stan set my vernier pulleys up. I know that the Exhaust is retarded 4* but im not sure about the Inlet vernier (must be at least 15* by the looks of it).

The cap and leads seem to be fine...I removed the leads 1-by-1 when the engine was ticking over but each lead made a difference when removed (although not as big a difference as I would have thought?) so it doesnt seem to be a missing spark.

Should I recheck the timing and reset the verniers back to stock settings? Its a total nightmare with the engine in the car trying to work around the belts :roll:

Riley
23-12-2006, 22:30
personally id reset them back to stock, see what it runs like then. If you have no running problems then you know its just due to the way the verniers are set up. See what some others on here think

cliolord
23-12-2006, 22:32
Alright mate, Cheers Riley

cliolord
23-12-2006, 22:39
Here is a video I took. May make things clearer

http://media.putfile.com/engine-52

Riley
24-12-2006, 01:10
wtched the video mate and to be fair that how id expect a cammed engine to run on tick over, try increasing the revs slightly to see if it comes to run smooth

cliolord
24-12-2006, 01:21
I will try and drive it down the road tomorrow after putting the slam panel back on but I dont want to damage the valves or anything if it is out. It doesn't seem right to me the fact that the plugs are that dark in colour aswell I know its still on cold start but still?

stan
24-12-2006, 11:22
Cam timing is set to the cam manufacturers specs.

The vid is short, but that seems fine mate. Have you let her get up to temp?

Dont forget, if you keep cold starting, then the plugs will foul.

Any problems, give me a ring.

david932
24-12-2006, 21:33
if you were going to damage valves it would have happened the first time you fired it so i wouldn't worry about that. let it warm up and see how it runs. mines cammed with verniers and sounds similar on start up, once warm it seems to run alot smoother. jus give it a try mate, sounds ok 2 me tho

cliolord
24-12-2006, 23:02
drove down the road today and its almost undriveable and wont rev past 3,000rpm. On idle, the whole car shakes, including the gear stick so timing must be out? I have now removed the metal cam cover and the timing marks are as accurate as they can be (i also have the crank pin in) :(

Riley
24-12-2006, 23:04
sounds like a fueling problem then

cliolord
25-12-2006, 01:20
I'm not too sure mate, think fueling is fine tbh. This is my concern...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/gazrawly/clio_F7R/verniers.jpg

If you look, the marks do not line up 100%. They will not line up 100% this is the closest tooth that they will both line up. This is what I think is causing the upset

stan
25-12-2006, 03:05
Inlet cam looks too advanced, due to the teeth being out.

U have pm :D

James5
04-02-2015, 17:50
Cliolord I know this is an old post and you haven't been on in a while but did moving the Inlet cam tooth sort your problem out?

haggis
17-06-2015, 10:43
i know its a silly question but due to my past history on ranging and lumpy engine running, have you checked the ECU does not have any water in the box, check below the board.
my engine did the same as urs, was water earthing the board, started ok but ranged and lumpy at low revs. cheers