PDA

View Full Version : Upper cam belt cover - how the ****...?

kj16v
23-12-2006, 19:14
...do I get to most of the torx bolts holding this cover on? I've slackened the right-hand (gearbox) engine mount and raised the engine on the jack, but I'd have to raise it really far in order to reach them. I don't how far I can go before I break something.
I'd just take the bloody engine out but I haven't got an engine hoist.

How am I supposed to get to the ****ing bolts. And to make things worse the bolts are tighter than a nats chuff for so I need to be able to get at them properly so I can use my super-human strength on them.

mattyc
23-12-2006, 19:16
Im not sure, but maybe through the wheel arch?

Coops
23-12-2006, 19:18
use a torx bit from a scredriver set, one of the really short ones then use a 10mm spanner on the end of it, fiddly as hell but it works 8)

Lunner
23-12-2006, 19:20
i had the same problem, gave up last time, but gonna attempt it again

They go stupid tight, just make sure you don't round them off or its defo engine out and drill out time, apparently you can jack it right up and get a torx socket and rachet in there.

I used a torx allen key last time, and used a ring spanner as a 'cheater bar'

kj16v
23-12-2006, 19:25
I tried using a bit and spanner but they're so ****ing tight I need to put force on them.

Anyone nearby got an engine hoist? :roll:

Coops
23-12-2006, 19:26
use a tube of metal (old broom handle?) on the end of the ring spanner

Lunner
23-12-2006, 19:33
use another spanner :wink:

Lee Keefy
23-12-2006, 20:50
gonna tackle it tomorrow when i take the head off (assistance if you dont mind hooligan!!!,txt nyk if your up for it)will get nyk to post as soon as its off,should be about dinner. :wink: :wink: :wink:

kj16v
23-12-2006, 23:44
Problem is because of the shootable decision to use recessed torx bolts, I'm boring out the bolt. I've soaked the bolts in WD40 and I'll try again tomorrow. I'd rip the cover off but the damn thing's metal!

If I can't do it does anyone within 50-odd miles of Oxford got an engine hoist I could borrow?

summeh
24-12-2006, 02:13
Which one are you having problems with?

Top oens should be easy and you should be able to get to them with a good 3/8" spanner and torx bit.

With the bottom ones you have to be very careful not to round the head out. They are a bitch but with preperation should come out ok, just make sure you remove the top engine mount, including assembly to the chassis, this will give you plenty of room, jack the fukker up until the downpipe is resting on the steering rack. You should be able to jack the engine up about 3". You may need to undo the dogbone mount, can't remember. Only 1 bolt so v easy though.

With access made use a small torx bit from a screwdriver set, as coop's suggested, with a 10mm spanner. It's v fiddly but doable. If you have something to slip over the end of the spanner, like a jack handle, that will give you all the leverage you need. Just make sure you use one hand to lever, the other down the side of the mount to keep pressure on to the torx bit.

A 1/4" ratchet and small torx bit also works, and is not at all fiddly. Halfrauds sell a restricted access 1/4" professional ratchet, very handy as its very accurate, i.e. clicks over so small movements register!

If you've bored the bolt head out then your fukked, lol. You could try the next size up and try to bash it on somehow :?

summeh
24-12-2006, 02:17
oh yeah forgot to mention... if you look under where the engine mount post bolts to, there is a small hole in the side. This can be used to feed an extension+torx bit through to one of the bottom bolts, I think the front one.

Lunner
24-12-2006, 02:42
If you do ahve to drill the hea off, once the presureis released they come out piece of piss by hand

MatBrown
24-12-2006, 03:01
If you do ahve to drill the hea off, once the presureis released they come out piece of piss by hand

If he can't get a ratchet down there how's he meant to get a drill in?

Mat.

stan
24-12-2006, 10:53
just make sure your on square, u can buy torx its in the shape of allen keys...I use these.

as above, jack the engine from underneath, till it wont raise anymore. then use the 90 degree torx key....I often put an extension bar with a deep 10mm socket on, to give extra leverage :wink: just make sure your on the bolt square.

IF you do round them, dont panic, 5mins with a chisel and hammer, and u can tap them round. Ive had to do this a couple of times when monkey's have been in there previously.
Same with the idler bolts.

clio_rsi_turbo
24-12-2006, 11:31
if your still stuck on this mate, pop round over crimbo, i'll sort you out (and the car!) ive got all the stuff. jus give me a txt.

Lunner
24-12-2006, 12:12

If he can't get a ratchet down there how's he meant to get a drill in?

Mat.

Well obvously thats the point where you have to admit defeat and do it the hard way and get the old engine hoist out :roll: :wink:

BenR
25-12-2006, 03:24
The best tool for these bolts is a snapon (dunno if they are the only ones, but its the one i use) door hinge bolt remover.

Its long and the torx bits are short so you dont get any twisting, come out like butter and done round off......lovely bit of kit and saved my arse many a time.

Lunner
25-12-2006, 12:39
This the one Ben?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=74327&group_ID=1794&store=uk&dir=catalog

BenR
25-12-2006, 15:38
thats the one!

Its fantastic!

Lunner
25-12-2006, 16:48
those torx bits for it, are they the same as hex bits that fit in your drill/driver for screws?

BenR
25-12-2006, 20:06
no, but it comes with a T40 torx.

Lunner
25-12-2006, 20:08
it does, you sure?

I've got 2 weeks to get it all sorted before i go back to work

BenR
25-12-2006, 20:12
i bought mine and it had 3 12 point star drives and 3 torx drives.

Lunner
25-12-2006, 20:18
Would that not be the set they list for £60-£70?

I can't afford that atm, i'd rather buy the wrench and the T40 bit i need seperate

BenR
25-12-2006, 20:31
i dunno, i just bought it when the truck was there.

You can borrow it if you want.

kj16v
25-12-2006, 20:45
If you do ahve to drill the hea off, once the presure is released they come out piece of piss by hand

They sure do!

I've only just read these replies but we ended off doing a bit of everythinbg mentioned here. Loosened the gearbox mount, jacked the engine right up to get to the two lowest ones. Bought an impact driver for the last one at the front (That was ****ing useless. Don't buy one!). Ended off the bugger out. Satisfying!

Ended the day by cutting through most of the loom only to discover the damn thing unbolts from the scuttle panel #-o

So I spent the final hour soldering the loom back together :roll:

Anyway head off on Wednesday when I get a T55 bit.

Lunner
25-12-2006, 20:46
Cheers for the offer, will see if i can get one locally before i go back to leeds, if not and i can't do it with the tools i have i may well be in touch

BenR
26-12-2006, 01:25
Cheers for the offer, will see if i can get one locally before i go back to leeds, if not and i can't do it with the tools i have i may well be in touch

Postage is but mere pence for the convenience.

Justin..
26-12-2006, 02:01
If you do ahve to drill the hea off, once the presure is released they come out piece of piss by hand

They sure do!

I've only just read these replies but we ended off doing a bit of everythinbg mentioned here. Loosened the gearbox mount, jacked the engine right up to get to the two lowest ones. Bought an impact driver for the last one at the front (That was f***king useless. Don't buy one!). Ended off the bugger out. Satisfying!

Ended the day by cutting through most of the loom only to discover the damn thing unbolts from the scuttle panel #-o

So I spent the final hour soldering the loom back together :roll:

you hacked up the loom ? :shock:

Lunner
26-12-2006, 14:22

Postage is but mere pence for the convenience.

I was gonna drive over and collect it, iirc your about 1-2 hours away

BenR
26-12-2006, 16:46
just north of bedford, you can collect if you wish.

Lunner
26-12-2006, 18:03
I'll let you know how i get on without it, if i need it i'll give you a shout

kj16v
26-12-2006, 19:03
you hacked up the loom ? :shock:

"Hacked" is such a strong word. I - er - cut a wire here and there" :oops:

summeh
26-12-2006, 20:28
make sure it's a 3/8" drive T55 Torx bit, as 1/2" drive won't fit down the holes in the head, I certainly had this problem. Dunno if others have.

Lunner
27-12-2006, 13:23
make sure it's a 3/8" drive T55 Torx bit, as 1/2" drive won't fit down the holes in the head, I certainly had this problem. Dunno if others have.

We're not on about removing the head, and i used a stubby T55 1/2" drive bit that just fit down the holes in the head, was a Teng one

summeh
27-12-2006, 14:19

We're not on about removing the head, and i used a stubby T55 1/2" drive bit that just fit down the holes in the head, was a Teng one

Oh, but we're not on about removing the head :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lunner
27-12-2006, 14:21

Oh, but we're not on about removing the head :roll: :roll: :roll:

:oops:

My bad, appologies :lol:

summeh
27-12-2006, 14:23
:evil: :evil: 8)

Lunner
27-12-2006, 14:24
You can still use a 1/2" drive one though :P :twisted:

summeh
27-12-2006, 14:28
lol... I bought a 1/2" drive t55 from halfrauds, it was about 0.5mm too big, also the holes in my head had already been filed away a bit by previous owner, obviously to get a socket down there :shock:

Lunner
27-12-2006, 14:34
The Teng one fits 8)