PDA

View Full Version : My engine has BLOWN!!!

McPikie
23-12-2006, 18:46
Yep, it's finally gone pop.......... and with a mighty bang too. Sounds like a rod has bent :cry:

I have a new engine sat next to it waiting, just need to get a hoist now. Anyone in the northwest fancy lending me one??

OK, first things first, does anyone have a haynes they can scan in so I know what plugs and sensors are what, save me labelling them all up??

Please help a poor Pikie, I NEED the car fixed ASAP.

Cheers guys

matt uk
23-12-2006, 18:54
think you can get the full lot from ebay for about £1.99 then just print it off yourself when its mailed to you.

they might email it if you ask, i think it was posted on a copied cd but you'll have to check

ive definatly seen it before

BigBoreBri
23-12-2006, 19:02
To be honest mate you cant really go wrong as most plug/sockets are not interchangable, if you go in sequece removing them you will most likely remember their loom route and location...

Also just take lots of pictures if your that worried then at least u know how it looked before you dropped her out, a simple swap shudnt take too long... its engine conversions that take sum soul searching, lol

Lunner
23-12-2006, 19:17
Each plug that you unplug lable it with a bit of masking tape as to where it goes, esp the earths

McPikie
23-12-2006, 19:21
Each plug that you unplug lable it with a bit of masking tape as to where it goes, esp the earths

I am thinking that is going to be the best way :cry: Just time consuming.

So, what is the best way to get the lump out then?

Exhaust off, bonnet, slam panel and rad off, then all the loom, then the mounts and gear links, cables etc etc, then just hoist her up?

Lunner
23-12-2006, 19:31
take weight and tuck end of box between chassis rail and subframe and pull to front, and then lift cambelt end up first, on quite a steep angle, so its diagonal in the bay and also got the box end tilted sharply downwards, its easier getting it back in than getting it out

Andyvalver
23-12-2006, 19:31
What were the symtoms of it going pop? did you know it was gonna happen soon? Unlucky btw :(

clowo16v
24-12-2006, 10:12
Undo the steering column pinch bolt
Unplug the loom from the engine
Disconnect the exhaust
Unbolt the struts from the hub
take the rad out
disconnect power steering and fuel
disconnect the throttle cable and clutch cable
undo the subframe supports
drop the subframe out with everything still attatched

Matt

rochdale_williams
24-12-2006, 16:18
i could prob get the engine lift after boxing day. borrow it off a mate if your still in need

AmDaMan
24-12-2006, 17:28
matt, wont that method only work if you have the car on a large ramp?

McPikie
24-12-2006, 18:50
i could prob get the engine lift after boxing day. borrow it off a mate if your still in need

I will let you know matey, just gonna see how much they are to hire

clowo16v
24-12-2006, 20:11
No hook an engine hoist at the front of the shell somewhere, then put a plank of wood across the subframe to lower it on a jack.

Matt