PDA

View Full Version : Seized engine . . . but is it?

Riley
22-12-2006, 19:05
Rite well listen carefully, taking closer inspection on the clio today i decided to have a look to see if it had actually ran out of oil. To my surprise it was on the min mark but not out of oil (the oil was dirty, not fresh) So i topped it up with oil and went to crank it over and the started motor cranked the engine one turn then that was it.

Then later on in the day, baz popped round and out the blue thought id try it again, and it cranked as a normal car would but looked at the fuel guage to find it not reading anything what so ever, so a jerry can of fuel later tried it again and just as the fuel started to go through and the engine started to get a slight glimmer of life i backed off to give the starter motor a rest as it had been going for a while. Turned the key and the starter did the same as it did first time around. Charged the bat up and tried again and still nothing.

Has the starter motor packed up not the engine?

Did the fact that he ran out of fuel make him think the engine had gone?

Riley
22-12-2006, 19:09
forgot to add, car was purchsed as non runner due to no oil causing engine to sease! But there was oil and engine turns over

Andyvalver
22-12-2006, 19:19
Try bumping it? :?

MatBrown
22-12-2006, 20:00
Cambelt broken?

Mat.

Riley
22-12-2006, 20:11
cant see it being cambelt as it actually started to show signs of life i.e started to fire up

MatBrown
22-12-2006, 20:13
You might as well have a look to rule it out.

Mat.

Riley
22-12-2006, 20:21
Okay ill look tomorrow just for you matt :lol:

my main question is, would an engine that was nakered from running on no oil turn over? i dont think it would. Im just really confused what lead the last owner to think it was nakered. Personally i just think its got a weak starter motor, if so i've got myself a bargain. I just want to get it running to see if it knocks at all

Want to try bumping it off but brakes are seized so its a tow and bump job rather than a push and bump and theres no one to help with that around here im out in the sticks

Lee Keefy
22-12-2006, 22:19
put a spanner on the bottom pulley and try turning it round,it is easier with the plugs out..

Riley
22-12-2006, 22:35
it does turn over, thats what i dont understand

BristolSam16v
22-12-2006, 22:46
If you think its the starter trying pushing it down the round to jump start it?

Allan
23-12-2006, 02:41
how much fuel did you put in ? if it was empty 1 can wont be enough to get it going, you will need 2 or 3 to get enough in or it will run for a few seconds then die, try more fuel.

Riley
24-12-2006, 18:49
okay guys, tried bumping it today. !st gear just locks up the front wheels, all the other gears turn the wheels but not the engine. Has the gearbox gone? what do you guys reckon . . .

Riley
24-12-2006, 22:26
:bump: really need your help on this one guys

Lunner
25-12-2006, 00:21
my suggestiion woudfl be jack uop, o/s wheel off and shit guard off and get a 19mm socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and turn it over by hand.

if it does you really need to try and get it fired up, jump start it, or swap the starter wirth another car, its only a 15 min job if you know what you're doing

Purple
25-12-2006, 00:39
Might be an electrical issue, bad earth is quite common on these cars. Do you hear fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition to accessory position?

Riley
25-12-2006, 13:13
yer fuel pimp makes all the noisey as it should. I have never worked on one of these cars never mind done a starter motor on one so it will be more than a 15min job. Any tips on changing one? change it from under the car?

Riley
25-12-2006, 13:14
and by the way the engine does turn over

Lunner
25-12-2006, 13:16
yer fuel pimp makes all the noisey as it should. I have never worked on one of these cars never mind done a starter motor on one so it will be more than a 15min job. Any tips on changing one? change it from under the car?

On a std car i'd drop downpiep off too, and get ti it from under neath