PDA

View Full Version : What a difference!

Swervin_Mervin
22-12-2006, 10:55
Had to have 4 new tyres as a result of having two low fronts and then a punctured rear so went to costco to get the PE2s in 185/55. Thought I should try it as intended becuase I probably won't have it next time it needs new tyres.

Then on the sunday I replaced all 4 injectors with a set supplied by Mr Hill, along with 4 new plugs and leads and re-routed and upgraded fuel hoses.

Well, I shit myself at first as it tried to run on abour 1 cylinder. Then it caught two. With a bit of gentle persuasion it caught 3. A few wiggles of injector connectors and hey presto, all 4 were firing.

How smooth? Smooth as dairy milk. 8)

It's totally cured the slight mis-fire it had on pickup which it's had for about 18 months at least and which no garage could solve. I noticed that one of the colletts (if that's what they are) on the ends of the injectors was bust.

Only thing left is to secure No.1 cylinder's injector plug better as it has come loose twice now resulting in proper mis-fire. It's seen better days but I can't be bothered replacing it. I'll just tape it up.

Driving on the 185s is weird as well. Whoever says they're not much different is lying. There's a huge difference. Hit a bend on 195/50 F1s and the lack of flex means you know exactly where the limits of the tyre are and it makes it much easier to to judge outright speed. the 185s are softer and as such it's all a bit more blurred. But the trade off is a far superior ride and it also fells more up on its toes in bends rather than squatted down. I actually prefer the tippy-toe nature myself.

2 live
22-12-2006, 10:58
but to have a proper comparison mate.......u need pe2s in 195......other tyre manufacturers will have diff sidewall stiffness etc.

Zollo
22-12-2006, 11:48
Not just for comfort do some of us go for 185s :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
22-12-2006, 14:27
but to have a proper comparison mate.......u need pe2s in 195......other tyre manufacturers will have diff sidewall stiffness etc.

Yeah I understand that. Didn't you (Zollo) find the F1s to be stiffer?

Oh and just while we're on teh subject, is there an easy/correct way to remove the injector plugs that doesn't result in them breaking?

2 live
22-12-2006, 14:31

why then??

they dont turn in as sharp...they roll almost as much as the stock susp ;)

the 185s cost more...dont seem to give u as much feedback.imo...but then they do let u throw it round a bit more and be able to catch it....not that thats a good reason for fittin em...again imo......can catch it just as well with 195s.just have to be a little quicker lol.

J o n
22-12-2006, 15:10
plus 185's will be completely ruined by Yozza in a matter of laps if your ever stupid enough to let him drive your car! :lol:

Zollo
22-12-2006, 15:23
Yeah Merv, I did find the ride stiffer than I expected with the F1s. Nothing serious; just a little more jiggly than I thought a standard Williams would be.

2live - same with everything else... I go for 185s because Renault put them on there for a reason and I prefer the feel they give :)

2 live
22-12-2006, 15:35
the reason being that they had some at the time......maybe if theyd have had an excess amount of 195s..theyd have fitted them instead.

renault also put soft shox on.soft springs....dunt mean to say they better than a harder set up.

renault put a lot of things on the williams to satisfy a generally older sales market...the older person being more able to afford the gp 17 ins rating.....doesnt mean to say the 'dumbing down' of the rally homolgomation model is better.

Zollo
22-12-2006, 15:38
Righto :wink:

J o n
22-12-2006, 15:42
I prefer the standard Willy suspension on the road, granted, you can get a faster setup, but it will have pro's and cons in diff situations... 185's vs 195's though I'd take 195 having had both. I dont think they were designed for the 185, Reno are one of the only manufacturers that put a 185 width tyre on a 7" rim... says to me it was done because they already had a shit load of them or a deal struck at the time, so why change for a limited run of cars?

Daz.
22-12-2006, 16:05
`Ahh the 185 195 debate roars on! :lol:

I've decided to do my changeover in bits going to raise the front ans stick to the 195's see how that is then when they run out it'll be on the 185's on stock suspension..

I shall provide feedback for each setup :lol:

MatBrown
22-12-2006, 19:56
Oh and just while we're on teh subject, is there an easy/correct way to remove the injector plugs that doesn't result in them breaking?

I use a couple of metal inserts from wiper blades cut down and bent at the end.

Mat.

nyk
22-12-2006, 20:26

why then??

they dont turn in as sharp...they roll almost as much as the stock susp ;)

the 185s cost more...dont seem to give u as much feedback.imo...but then they do let u throw it round a bit more and be able to catch it....not that thats a good reason for fittin em...again imo......can catch it just as well with 195s.just have to be a little quicker lol.

I totally agree woth Jon on this debate, having tried both I now run the 195/50 F1's.

A car that handles well is not meant to be comfortable! Renault probably fitted them with 185's cos they had a shed load as is general opinion or they got a job load cheap cos they are an odd ball size. the 55 profile was prob to give more comfort, to cater for the wider consumer market! LOL- Any good handling car is not a comfortable daily drive. Its all about what you want and finding the happy medium.

:lol:

richy
22-12-2006, 20:42
i think ive said this hundreds of times, i have both 185/55 and 195/50 (2 full sets) of goodyear eagle f1's, i prefer the 195/50s, yes it is abit less comfy but it drives/feels much better imo, the 185/55s are great if you want comfort, and as jon said u can play about and its easy to predict what the car is doing! but id rather have the 195/50s

Swervin_Mervin
22-12-2006, 23:58
A car that handles well is not meant to be comfortable!

Renault probably fitted them with 185's cos they had a shed load as is general opinion or they got a job load cheap cos they are an odd ball size.

Any good handling car is not a comfortable daily drive.

Some of the biggest bollocks I've ever seen spouted on this forum.

Handling is not so black and white. Too say that any good handling car isn't comfortable is guff for 2 reasons:

1. Define good handling. It's not just about getting round a corner as fast as possible. Handling is about more than that.

2. Even assuming it is about getting round corners as wuickly as possible, there's a shedload of great cars that manage it yet don't suffer poor comfort.

Having spoken to a lad that was on the evo 100 test he thought the NSXR was too stiff for british roads which meant the front end pattered around too much through corners. The 911 GT3 however was far more able to cope with teh rough stuff yet still resist roll etc.

Furthermore the french always tended to use either 185/55 or 195/55 tyres. I don't subscribe so far to one being better than the other. It's whatever you prefer that counts.

Finally I actually found the stiffer 195/50 F1s to actually make driving it on teh edge easier as the information as to what's going on is all there. So far it's considerably more challenging on the 185/55 PE2s.

Still, as 2live says, I can't give my own definitive judgement since I'd have to test both tyres in both sizes.

Lee Keefy
23-12-2006, 02:48
A car that handles well is not meant to be comfortable!

Renault probably fitted them with 185's cos they had a shed load as is general opinion or they got a job load cheap cos they are an odd ball size.

Any good handling car is not a comfortable daily drive.

Some of the biggest bollocks I've ever seen spouted on this forum.

Handling is not so black and white. Too say that any good handling car isn't comfortable is guff for 2 reasons:

1. Define good handling. It's not just about getting round a corner as fast as possible. Handling is about more than that.

2. Even assuming it is about getting round corners as wuickly as possible, there's a shedload of great cars that manage it yet don't suffer poor comfort.

Having spoken to a lad that was on the evo 100 test he thought the NSXR was too stiff for british roads which meant the front end pattered around too much through corners. The 911 GT3 however was far more able to cope with teh rough stuff yet still resist roll etc.

Furthermore the french always tended to use either 185/55 or 195/55 tyres. I don't subscribe so far to one being better than the other. It's whatever you prefer that counts.

Finally I actually found the stiffer 195/50 F1s to actually make driving it on teh edge easier as the information as to what's going on is all there. So far it's considerably more challenging on the 185/55 PE2s.

Still, as 2live says, I can't give my own definitive judgement since I'd have to test both tyres in both sizes.

just to add a point,i have a vw golf v6 4-motion as a daily drive,i can keep up with a lot of quick stuff on the twisties,i have just gone down from 55's to 45's in the pursuit of better handling,granted it does turn in sharper but the ride is now crap!!! i think nyk's point is valid.

Zollo
27-12-2006, 11:34
What Mervin said... plus plenty more (that I can't can't be bothered to say!)

Purple
27-12-2006, 13:31
Define good handling.
Heh, my own yardstick has always been as hard as the suspension/tyres setup will allow on the roads that I normally drive on, and whatever harshness I can tolerate - whichever is the softest. These days, I am the one that usually gives up first :)

IMHO, the williams' suspension is amazingly compliant for something that corners so well, so I think, it's down to road conditions and personal taste when it comes down to tyre choices.