PDA

View Full Version : ARP Con-Rod bolts

McPikie
22-12-2006, 01:13
Does anyone know how much I am looking at for a set? I have tried to look on the ARP site but it just tells you about the types of bolts.

Ben?

Stan??

MAXIBOY
22-12-2006, 02:40
about 70 quid i think

BenR
22-12-2006, 03:30
and when you fit them you need to have the big ends resized.

Tens of thousands of PSI extra clamping force distorts the cap/rod and brings it out of round.

bass_direct
22-12-2006, 11:52
60 odd quick from ktec

bass_direct
22-12-2006, 11:53
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=941

McPikie
22-12-2006, 21:58

Tens of thousands of PSI extra clamping force distorts the cap/rod and brings it out of round.

Explain a bit more what you mean by resizing Ben

stan
23-12-2006, 09:43
when you torque the big-end cap up, the clamping force is increased (hence why the can withstand higher rpm)...therefore the cap and rod end is literally squeezed out-of-round.

Lunner
23-12-2006, 10:00
When i rebuilt mine, local parts shop looked in their bok and it speced that you didn't have to replace them, so i didn't

Lee Keefy
23-12-2006, 17:22
when you torque the big-end cap up, the clamping force is increased (hence why the can withstand higher rpm)...therefore the cap and rod end is literally squeezed out-of-round.

so do you have to get undersized (thinner) shells then?

Lunner
23-12-2006, 18:03

BenR
25-12-2006, 02:55
When i rebuilt mine, local parts shop looked in their bok and it speced that you didn't have to replace them, so i didn't

You dont have to replace rod bolts, just when changing them for higher clamping load ones you have to resize.......if they look in a book for that sort of info, walk away ;)

BenR
25-12-2006, 02:56

so do you have to get undersized (thinner) shells then?

No, to resize they grind a bit off the cap, making the BE dia smaller and not perfectly round, then they rebore the hole and hone the last few thou to size and to make sure its perfectly round. They do this with the bolts in place to account for the extra clamping load.

Lunner
25-12-2006, 11:57

You dont have to replace rod bolts, just when changing them for higher clamping load ones you have to resize.......if they look in a book for that sort of info, walk away ;)

They are an auto parts store lol, i knew you had to replace head bolts etc, so i just asked if tyhey knew if you had to replace rod and big end bolts, they can't know all teh specs on all teh cars under the sun.....he did actually say he didn't think you did, and then checked :wink:

BenR
25-12-2006, 15:37
I meant if someone installing/selling your big ends had to check the book to see if it was needed then walk away.

Lunner
25-12-2006, 16:47
I was installing them, and had to ask.....what does that mean......know for next time tho ;)