PDA

View Full Version : Nana style fuel setup..help

Martin
16-12-2006, 18:20
Just pricing one up on rally design....after my current fuel pump woes...

What do I need apart from ....

tank 90 odd quid
pump 27 quid
braided lines say 30-40 quid
swirl pot 80 quid

Martin
16-12-2006, 18:21
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1578

arj256
16-12-2006, 18:27
Does that fuel tank setup save alot of weight though?
Would of thought that the exsisting plastic tank wouldnt weigh alot?

clowo16v
16-12-2006, 18:28
Do you run the braided lines to the original fuel lines or are you running them through the car? If you are you'll need some p clips to support it

Matt

Martin
16-12-2006, 18:29
I added this up for Scott a while ago, with the pump, fuel lines everything it was well over £1k.

Can get u a list of everything from the invoices if u want??

aye that would be good....seems cheap from there maybe 1k at tweeks prices?

Martin
16-12-2006, 18:30
Do you run the braided lines to the original fuel lines or are you running them through the car? If you are you'll need some p clips to support it

Matt

aye I figure 30 quid or so for sundries...clips etc

clowo16v
16-12-2006, 18:32
U can get stuff a lot cheaper than rally design or tweeks. Try and get the part numbers for every part then search elsewhere. Will take a bit more research but may work out cheaper.

Matt

Martin
16-12-2006, 18:57
if you could do a list it would be great cheers...

stan
16-12-2006, 21:35
get low pressure and high pressure pumps off ebay? even swirl pot and tanks can be bought there...and hosing...and clips lol...damn ebay is good!

Martin
16-12-2006, 21:37
Is there anything else I'm missing stan? As the stuff above is quite cheap so far.....not sure how it adds up to 1K

stan
16-12-2006, 22:27
I cant see it adding up to 1k mate.

Tank
Swirl pot
Hosing
Low-pressure pump
High-pressure pump

Thats about it aside from wiring/sundries.

stan
16-12-2006, 22:39
wirl pot:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-FUEL-SURGE-TANK-SWIRL-POT-RALLY-RACE-KIT-CAR_W0QQitemZ220058566351QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43120Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
tank:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-FUEL-TANK-11-GALL-COMP-RACE-KIT-CAR-RALLY-OFFROAD_W0QQitemZ220058569818QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43 120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
low pressure pump:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOLID-STATE-FUEL-PUMP-COMPETITION-KIT-CAR-etc_W0QQitemZ130056830414QQihZ003QQcategoryZ122139 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

no high pressure pumps that i can see, but i would reckon circa £80-100 for one.

Note, those facet low pressure ones can be noisy as fook!

northy
16-12-2006, 23:55
Tank
Swirl pot
Hosing
Low-pressure pump
High-pressure pump
Filter :wink:

cliorod
17-12-2006, 02:24
Just a small question,Why do you guys need a swirl pot,
On my old rally car,All I did was fit a 50 litre "GAZ" tank,high pressure pump/filter,spoke to Matthew at think automotive for the hosing,and sundries ~~ ran perfectly no probs,pressue regulator on the fuel rail controls flow ??
New car is very similar,50 litre FUEL SAFE bag tank,high pressure fuel pump,through the filter to the fuel rail,return through to tank.

Not questioning your work etc etc :wink: :wink: ~~~ Just wondering If / should I need one,have I missed something out :oops: :oops: Old car still running,gives good fuel delivery etc etc

dimkais
17-12-2006, 09:00
Ive got exactly the same set up to cliorod....BUT since i fit some parts (including these) i have a problem and haven't find what it is yet.When at full throttle and all 8 injectors are working....the motor cant rev.Its like i have the limiter set at 6000rpm.I dont kno tho, if the absence of swirl pot or low pressure pump causes this :roll: Maybe i will have to check this too.

Ah,a friend of mine who had the same set up for drag race purposes was working perfect....

stan
17-12-2006, 11:37
Rod, are you getting surge at low levels?

Yup, this has a pressure eg on the rail.

Nice one Northy :D

Dimkais, did you ever check the fuelling values after you fitted the new pump?? It may be that she's over-fuelling, and you need to knock the pressure down abit, or scale the map to suit the new pressure.

cliorod
17-12-2006, 12:09
Stan,
according to my fuel pressure gauge ,it stops constant all through the rev range,Like I said,I am not doubting your advise,Just interested in why,Never having had the use of a Swirl pot.
Please bear in mind,I aint no mechanic :oops: :oops: ,just speaking from experience.It does have an FSE regulator/power valve fitted though
Rodders

northy
17-12-2006, 12:11
my cup car desperatly needs a swirl pots. I suffer from fuel serge with anything less than 1/4 fuel in.

No problems stan.

cliorod
17-12-2006, 12:58
Ha Ha :roll: ,
Cheers for that Northy :wink: ,I now understand the reason for SWIRL POTS :lol: :lol: ~~~ However the FUEL SAFE and other bag tanks,usually have collectors built in them,that pick up in all four corners of the tank,and theoretically carry on running until "DRY" ~~ obviuously the thickness /diameter of the material for these collectors,will always maintain a set amount of fuel though.I run on stages,with just enough fuel :oops: :oops: to do the stage,working on 12/15mpg ~~ As you are no doubt aware 1 gallon/5litres is around 10lbs in weight :cry: Plus a bit for the Run in to service.
I am afraid the days of filling up at every rest halt ~~ 50litres are long gone,Why reduce weight on panels etc ~~ plus yourself if your lucky :wink: (Not a Fat old Fooker like me :wink: ) to put it back with fuel !!!
Learnt something new each day ~~ thanks again.

stan
17-12-2006, 13:04
Rod, is yours works without, then dont worry about a swirl pot!

My only quarm with this type of tank in a Clio is the increased C-of-G...

Rod, have you found any such problems with yours?? I know its going to be negligable maybe, but it really stands out at me, as you say, given the mass of fuel.

cliorod
17-12-2006, 18:48
Stan,
This is a pic of the tank mounted in my car.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/Picture416.jpg.
It is mounted as low as possible,and the alloy box,sits in a steel compartment welded into the floor.,the pump anfd filter,sit against the rear seat squab,and are as low as possible,at least level with the bottom of the tank.

To date,neither me or my mate ~ in my old car,with a similar arrangement,have encounted any fuel surge/starvation problems :lol: :lol: ,Most of my events are longer ones,ie Mull,where it is like driving on the roads :twisted: :twisted: ,save a tad faster !!!!.

I am not sure what pump,my mate runs,as I know he recently replaced it,I know it is not much of a test,but his gave good power on the rollers,fuelling all the way up the rev range.

Did the "Clio Cup" cars run swirl pots etc,or just "suck it and see" standard fuel delivery.
Rodders

northy
18-12-2006, 09:24
i think it was entirly standard. Only the aux tank removed. Will need to check my manuals.

Martin
18-12-2006, 13:04
cheers Gaz...although there is some stuff on there ....which I can't work out ! lol

BenR
19-12-2006, 03:36
If your using a generic tank then you will need the following setup.

Fueltank with a low pressure lifter pump feeding the swirl pot.

Swirl pot then needs to feed the high pressure pump from its lowest outlet, then the high pressure pump can feed the fuel rail via the stock fuel filter if you want.

The return line from the rail feeds into the swirl pot.

The swirl pot has an overflow right at the top which feeds back into the fuel cell.

If you have an EFi tank, then it will have the swirl pot setup built in and only require a high pressure pump with a feed and return line to it.